1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Frustrated Motiejunas just wants to play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You get consistent playing time by not sucking in the limited time you get. If you suck in that limited time then what sense does it make giving you more time when you aren't maximizing the time you get? Maybe on a team in development mode but we are in win mode. If he played well then he would get more time. See Jones as an example.

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Except for the bricked threes, DMo played a very solid game today in limited minutes. Not on the scorecard are the passes which he deflected and his overall solid D.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

DMO is good

He just needs to play more low post and less jacking up 3's

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just play the guy, 12 minutes a night, when he does good, extend his minutes, when he doesn't keep him at 12.

He is 7 foot tall, left handed, skilled in the post and quick as a cat.

Those are rare qualities, just play the man.

DD

5. HOUSTONROCKETS5

I want to keep him.

I see him becoming into a Brad Miller type with much better mobility.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

So in a league with limited big men, Rox is trying to trade a 7 footer.
    Just can't understand why DMO is not given minutes.

I know he have problem defensively, but those comes with experience, not rotting at the bench. Is Casspi/Greg Smith that much better than him?

A 7 footer that run smooth, shooting range up to 3p line, and have a decent low post game. And rox is trying to trade him?

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

You didn't read my post correctly. Neither LMA or West are "post only players". Both have extended their games to the elbow and beyond.

DMo is not good enough to change the rockets offense to fit him, like they would for LMA or West. Either he develops range from 3, or he's a center. And to be clear, the league IS heading toward the "stretch 4". LMA and West are the exceptions, not the rule.

I watch as much NBA as they will put on ESPN or TNT. There was no reason to be short with me.

1 person likes this.
  8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He is completely right. Seems like you are the one that doesnt watch the NBA games.

They are 4's with reliable shots from the wing, thus they are 4's.

9. jlwee

jlwee Member

To McHale, Casspi and Smith are better players because they can shoot 3 better than Donuts.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What is Smiths 3pt career percentage?

DD

11. shlhl

shlhl Member

"Just play the guy, 12 minutes a night, when he does good, extend his minutes, when he doesn't keep him at 12.

He is 7 foot tall, left handed, skilled in the post and quick as a cat.

Those are rare qualities, just play the man.

DD
    "
    I total agree with DD. Just play the man please.

12. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

If we had big men like Roy Hibbert, Miles Plumlee, or Pekovic, they would be riding the bench or forced to jack up 3 point shots. This team does not know how to manage player's skillsets effectively.

13. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Funny thing is ... that was McHale's job when he was a Boston Celtic back in the day. He likes players who's game reminds him of himself. Thus the drafting of Royce White.

14. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

Yes because guys like Dwight and Asik are forced to jack up 3pt shoots.... :rolleyes:

15. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I love D-Mo's hook shots :).

16. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

DMO was okay vs LA today... minus the 3 point attempts, he could have been better.

This is why I have been saying let DMo play.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this team is contending for more than just the playoffs - it wants to win big. taking that into consideration then McHale primary focus as coach is to play the guys that give the team the best shot at winning.

Despite all the stuff heard about how a hard worker Dmo is in practices etc.. I find it a bit alarming that

given that Dwight is avg the fewest minutes per game since his rookie season - there are enough minutes for a backup C -- he hasnt played more

secondly with the injury to Smith and the "injury" to Asik there are no other 7 footers on the team and yet he has played sparingly -- and its not like Smith is a top 10 center in the league he is competing against.

my opinion is that I believe Dmo is working hard in practices but there probably isnt enough tangible results from it -- given his weakness on defense and being pushed around on the inside he hasnt improved enough to balance that weakness in other parts of his game so McHale as the coach cant play him without the chance that if he does play him extended minutes he sacrifices the W.

I mean for me personally if the Rockets win i dont care who plays and how many minutes they do, but there is no reason to purposefully play a guy who you know will be really bad at defense and has not shown enough consistency on offense when he has played a bunch of minutes and lose the game.

if Dmo was consistent with his jumper from 3 pt land (like Bonner is) then he would have seen the floor way more

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You're right, Mchale doesn't know how to manage individual players skill sets. It's a little different bring Greg Smith in for spot minutes than it is for Dmo. Smith is just going to run up and down the court to play defense and get junk baskets, that's ok , that's good, but his ceiling isn't much higher than it is right now.

If you do just like DD said, and start playing him 12 meaningful minutes a game and let him get his rhythm, timing, and conditioning back and it will make a difference. He can defend pretty good now and his rebounding numbers have been good, but he needs rhythm and timing to do his post moves better and shoot the three.

Isn't that hook shot, like the one he shot today amazing?

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

If you look back to the preseason, Dmo outplayed Jones at the pf position. So that wasn't a good example. I'm very happy for Jones and the way he has been playing. I'm just saying Dmo deserves some consistent playing time, he did earn it in the preseason with his play but Mchale didn't give him a chance at consistent playing time after that. Even in the little time Dmo has played this year, Dmo has had some nice games but does Mchale give him any consistent minutes after that? I''ll answer my question , no he doesn't

It seems like the Spurs are always in development mode, I guess the Rockets are smarter than the Spurs and don't need to continually develop their talent.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He should have been with the Vipers more. Wasting time on the bench isnt a good idea, but hey I'm no McHale