1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Four Knee-Jerk Reactions From Houston’s Preseason Opener

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 8, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is exactly what I saw last night, and what I was thinking after the game. The issues raised are not minor and have been in play since the disappointing off season. The Rockets are far from a "complete" team ready to make the big run. They are a "work in progress" but a parking meter is running on the career of Dwight Howard.

2. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

me too. Millsap would be great, but Horford would definitely be better, especially if he were allowed to move back to his natural position as PF (and Center in smaller lineups against smaller centers). I doubt anything happens with Atlanta until new ownership steps in, after that it's anyone's guess what they'll do.

3. Milk Haiir

Milk Haiir Member

My Knee-jerk (which should carry significant weight with my 12 posts and all): Our whole offense is either set a high screen or iso in the post, with nothing happening off the ball, no counters, and everyone standing around. Is it any wonder that we are going to struggle scoring whenever Harden isn't on the floor, or if DMo isn't posting up Charlie V?

1 person likes this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Horribly ugly game - looked like a beaten down D-League affair. The problem won't be with the starting unit (sans PF) but rather with the bench. As of today, they simply have no bench.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Knee jerk is officially cool now on CF! :grin:

Seriously, we all saw that the PF spot was the weakest link. We have a bunch of big men on the roster. But none of them we have confidence as solid starter so far.

6. CertifiedTroll

I don't know why they waited so long before playing Daniels. But in the time he was on the court I liked what I saw. He can't create his own shot, but he is an elite 3 point shooter. Hopefully McHale will slide Johnson to the one and Daniels to the two.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

PF and bench (especially backup PG, ish leaves me no motivation to watch after Harden sits) are the weakest link right now. If we can't fix it, we will be stuck in 1st round again this.

8. downbytheriver

All I want for xmas is Goran Dragic.

We got rid of the overrated deadweight this offseason, added a wing defender.

Alright. If we can't add a big name PF we'll survive, but we need Goran.

9. bongman

bongman Member

Did we forget about the Bosh fiasco already?

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

With Horford, Millsap, Antic and now Adreian Payne, that's an interesting 4 man big rotation. On the one hand that seems like one guy too many, on the other hand their team as currently constructed is an obvious playoff team in the East. So maybe they don't want to trade anyone away. I know Millsap is an expiring, but if you're ATL I don't know if trading him for mediocre assets A, B, and C would really help you in the long term.

Looking at the contracts on the Hawks, I am impressed. They don't have a single bad contract.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Clutch,

I don't know if there is a knee jerk on Jones... He has to get tougher.. The guy has all the tools in the world and has the competitive mentality of Joe Barely Cares...

We need a PF and I don't care if it's West, Milsap or Gibson....

T_Man

12. mightybosstone

Is it crazy to think that Nick Johnson might be the best fit right now for the Rockets backup PG position? He plays more like a 2 guard, but he can penetrate extremely well, he's a solid playmaker, he's freakishly athletic and he can defend either guard position. I like Canaan and Smith okay, but Johnson's defense and ability to create for himself and others seem like exactly what the Rockets could use from their backup PG.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not so much worried about the PF spot, as I am the way the offense flows. Or should I say the way the offense doesn't flow. One thing that both Parsons and Lin did well, was they created motion in the offense. I hate it when we repeatedly try to throw the ball in to Dwight and everyone just stands and watches Dwight try to score. If Dwight isn't having a good night, then it just looks awful.

I'm going to be patient until the season starts to make any real judgments on this team. I have predicted that the team will be worse this year, so I won't be surprised if we struggle. We've replaced three of our top seven players with one solid role player in Ariza, and a collection of rookies and D-League players. It may take a while for everything to come together.

14. dragician

dragician Member

Papa is the next Nowitzki.

15. Rox23

Rox23 Member

We need another playmaker besides Harden. DMo saved our butts last night with his scoring, on-ball and off-ball movement, and passing. DMo can not be the primary facilitator sans Harden.

16. conquistador#11

knee jerk reactions on the internet? never!

one thing is certain, portland prior to last season had one of the best starting five units statistically, but couldn't even crack 40 wins without a bench.

bench has to show up that's a lot to put on jason terry's plate.

17. rocketsmetalspd

Once Scola comes back the PF position will be fill but seriously I would really check on West first and see IF truly wants out of Indiana

18. basketballholic

Kinda late to be figuring out whether or not DMO or Terrence can play. Bottom line with both of those guys is can they shoot the 3 efficiently?

If Josh Powell isn't trade he has a good chance to make this roster and be in the rotation.

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Portland didn't have a bench last year either. Their improvement was due to health, Robin Lopez, and experience for Lillard.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Millsap would be ideal but the Hawks love that guy. Makes more sense to go after 4s who fit our critera (D minded, rebounds, runs, blocks shots and 3pt ability). Josh Smith is on rocky ground with Detroit and has 4 out of the 5 criteria we need. Pap can play the Delfino role when we go small ball.

McHale wants the 4 to rebound and play D, that is JSmoove to a T. And if Terry is not packaged for another scorer/creator, then he will have the Lin role. Terry may not be able to play as many minutes, especially if Harden gets nicked up, but he should be able to give us 10-15 quality minutes.

Only thing that bothered me was the D, thought we would be better inside than we were. But it was just the first game of preseason so no knee jerk from me, yet. :grin: