1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] For Rockets, winning in 2012 would be nice, but losing might be better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 30, 2011.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

GM goes to coach and says, "I have to know what I have there." It's that simple. The coach works for the organization which is managed by the GM. When you trade away a first round pick, you need to figure out what the hell you got in return. GM answers to owner for his moves...coach answers to GM for his moves.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He's not saying that at all. They haven't stabilized on anything. Stabilizing on a foundation would be re-signing everyone to nice new contracts. Instead it's "no extensions" and everyone is constantly being shopped or shipped. He's been doing exactly what it says a team in this situation should do in his quote.

3. MadMax

Really? I feel like we've been watching the same tv show for 3 years now. We're arguably the most consistent team in the league. Given the timing of that statement, I don't think Clutch was crazy to assume that meant we were looking at a real tear down/rebuild process....particularly when coupled with his quote that "it's easier to rebuild if you lose."

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

MadMax, just because you trade older guys for younger upside guys doesn't mean you're tanking or can't make the playoffs. Denver and Utah are prime examples of teams doing what the rockets should've done. I've said before, I didn't have a problem with the 09 player crap shoot. My problem was not carving out room to give a fair evaluation of most of them. When morey decided to make this move he should've trade both scola and martin even after the failed attempt. This would've given lee,wiliams,hill,ad patterson more time and a better chance at developing. Imagine indy trading for jermaine oneal,but still having both davis players and smit on the roster. Jermaine Oneal was traded and turned into a star player because he got a lot of minutes in indy and honed his game. I'm not saying either of these guys had oneals talent,but it wasn't viewed as a tank job because they traded dale davis for the young and unproven j oneal. I think its safe to say that as a player, at the time of the trade, dale davis was as good of a player as scola. In fact, the pacers were fresh off a finals appearence earlier. When I look at the rockets, I don't see one player they can't play without. Trading players for picks later or just cap relief really wouldn't have a minus effect on this team.

5. TheFreak

Do you not remember all of the "asset" talk? I know you do because you've participated in it. :) That's what the last 3 years have been about. Building assets, turning over the roster constantly, not committing to anyone. That's the opposite of stabilizing.

6. MadMax

I'm not arguing that. I'm saying for all of that, it's felt super stable...they've been remarkably consistent...they couldn't be MORE consistent, frankly.

7. TheFreak

Only if you're going by record. 4 of 5 starters this year for a good portion of the season are different from last year.

8. Rockets_Texans

Great article Clutch. Now I wont feel that bad if the Rockets dont make the playoffs.

9. MadMax

That's dynamite. I've called that shuffling a deck with no face cards.

Clutch (I'm guessing) was there when Morey said what he said....he'd understand the context better than either of us.

10. TheFreak

I've already explained the context. I heard him say the same thing. He said it in an interview that was available online.