1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans (Fade's) 2008 Fantasy Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by SamCassell, Mar 17, 2008.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

http://www.fantasybaseballsite.com/baseball/clutchcity/

The draft is done, the season is about to begin… good luck to everyone!

So who’s the favorite? Who had the best keepers? Who had the best draft?

I think fade started with the best team in terms of keepers, hands down. Best SP in the game, great young hitters. And his draft wasn’t bad – at least he took Mark Prior in the last round instead of the first round this year! (production should be about the same)

I also like DH’s combination of strong bullpen, solid OF, and pretty good SPs (although the Kazmir injury puts a damper on the roster).

Jent took what was already the best offense in the league and added strong bounce-back candidates in Hafner and Tejada. If Burnett stays healthy and Lackey and Vasquez can repeat their strong 2007 seasons, he’s got a pretty good pitching staff to go with it.

Of the new guys, hotballa had a strong draft (we’ve gotta work on his drafting speed tho, and rooting for the Yanks doesn’t help). No depth on the offense might be an issue. Stinky Punks looks like a good squad on paper, but only if Dontrelle and Myers can bounce back to be solid starters. Otherwise it looks like the Astros’ pitching staff.

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I really like LonghornFan's team this year. 3B is a bit weak, but he's powerful everywhere else. I thought he had a very strong draft.

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

when do actual games start or when do i need to set my very stinky line-up by??

4. fadeaway

The first game period will be Monday, March 31 to Thursday, April 3rd. The Boston-Oakland games in Japan on March 25th/26th and the Atlanta-Washington game on March 30th should be appended onto the Mar 31 - Apr 3rd game period. That's what they've always done in the past when there were a couple of early games.

Also, I will be embarking on a 2 month road trip through the USA starting April 1st, so I will need somebody to be acting commissioner while I'm gone, as I will probably only be able to pop in sporadically. Any volunteers? :)

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'll volunteer as I'm on the PC a lot at work and at home and I check in frequently. What exactly would I be responsible for?

6. fadeaway

Just taking care of last minute lineup changes for people, contacting fanstar if anything goes screwy with the site, making sure everyone has a valid lineup set. You don't have to bother counting SP/RP games as I can do that retroactively once I get back.

Also, as a favor to me, I'd ask you to keep an eye out for injured players on my team the Expos and substitute in a replacement if someone is going to miss extended time. :) I'm hoping to be able to check in once a week or so, but who knows about Internet access while on the road.

I'll email you the password before I head out. Thanks for doing this.

7. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to thank Fade and Sam for not mentioning my team as one of the stronger ones. Matter of fact, if memory serves me right Sam's evaluation of every team last year mentioned that I indeed had one of the weakest teams after the draft. Only to meet him in the Finals............ :D :D :D

I like being like the Rockets, under the radar.......

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't think I did any sort of evaluation last year... but I guess I could be wrong. I certainly can't fault your team when you drafted so many players from my roster from last season (Thome, Weeks, Shields, Carmona). I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;) Although I'd be worried about your closer situation with Woods and Ryan both nursing injuries.

9. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the other hand, with the last pick of the entire draft and Woods winning the closer role in Chicago over a guy picked in our draft a few rounds earlier, could be the steal of the draft......... :D

Either way, closer situation not horrible, I do have one of the top in the game.....

10. RSSoldier

RSSoldier Member

Thanks for this info. I was wondering why the stats from the game this morning hadn't appeared on my team yet. I got 1 run from Papi and the win from Okajima, so it's a good start to the season for me!

11. LonghornFan

Ummm, who are you? Papi is mine in this league, beyatch.

12. RSSoldier

RSSoldier Member

Sorry, I'm not in the league...was talking about my own ESPN fantasy league. Just thanking you for the information about the scoring not starting until March 31st.

13. LonghornFan

Cool. Just use your forcefield to deflect the "beytach" and I'll take it back.

14. RSSoldier

RSSoldier Member

Is this a keeper league? If so, you have what could be a potentially awesome pitching rotation for the next few years, Longhorn. Bedard, Hughes, Liriano, and Bailey could be a monster staff to face for anyone in this league in the coming years if it's a keeper league.

15. fadeaway

I emailed you, LonghornFan.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Ummm.... somehow Brad Lidge is my only player this week. That's obviously a mistake. Is there any way that can get fixed?

Sorry but I just noticed it when I went to check scores this morning.

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i'll also be helping cover the commissioners position while Fade is on the road and longhorn is on pine

will try to check this thread daily, if not drop me an email and i'll fix your line-up issues

Smeeeeeeeeeeeg

18. LonghornFan

Thanks Smeg. I've had the stomach flu all week and missed a lot of work and internet time. So glad someone else is here to help.

19. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Longhorn...if I can get this lineup in it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

STARTERS WK 6:
    1B-Delgado,Carlos, NYM
    1B-Hafner,Travis, CLE
    2B-Upton,B.J., TB
    3B-Rodriguez,Alex, NYY
    SS-Tejada,Miguel, HOU
    C-Martinez,Victor J., CLE
    OF-Ibanez,Raul, SEA
    OF-Matsui,Hideki, NYY
    OF-Abreu,Bobby, NYY
    OF-Ordonez,Magglio, DET
    SP-Meche,Gil, KC
    SP-Millwood,Kevin, TEX
    SP-Marcum,Shaun, TOR
    RP-Percival,Troy, TB
    RP-Cordero,Chad, WAS
    RP-Soria,Joakim, KC

20. LonghornFan

Smeg, did you get Jent's lineup change? I was out again from work today due to this bug I can't get over. Whole lotta buttspray goin' on over here. I think I may have teh AIDS.