1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Donatas Motiejunas works out with Hakeem Olajuwon (Video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

It sure seems like you're reading a lot into his personality just from a video clip.

2. just a word

just a word Member

I really hope that DMo works out because of his inborn height and ability but what I'm really concerned about is that he seems REALLY in love with his speed, and he seems to love it so much that I'm not sure how much control/precision he has. And what I really wish for DMo to do is to slow everything down so that he gets the precision, and then bring it up to his natural speed... by going full speed even during the learning process, that's going to make the whole process slower (usually).

Now maybe this is just how DMo learns, I don't know, I haven't met him myself, but this seems just how the vast majority of people learn best in my experience.

3. allaroundplayer

A wide base and pivot is the most important thing, since without either one of those, the ball will be poked away or the shot will be stuffed.

I like this squaring up with a live dribble. I think that is new to his game, but he needs to sell the shot fake better and master the short jumper. Now, if he is doing a spin move after facing up to drive for a layup that is a different move because he is just trying to get past the defender. In that case, his feet being close together is not an issue.

I think the Rockets will have to go to a double post-up offense like Memphis with Howard & D-Mo. Chris Finch says it is up to the guards to get the ball to Howard, but you can't expect the guards to make incredible passes all game. It is up to Howard to get open to make the passes easy because he is not a finesse player, so he will become the forgotten man and wasted especially when he starts missing free throws. I am in favor of not passing him the ball when that happens because that is the equivalent of missing field goals. Plus, every other player wants to play at a face pace, so I think they have to radically shift their style & philosophy.

If D-Mo gets isolation post ups he can score easily. The defense won't double off Howard because it leaves him open for a dunk. If the double team comes from the perimeter it leaves good 3-point shooters open. Hopefully, Beverley wins the starting point guard. If Howard gets doubled by D-Mo's defender, it leaves a big target for him to pass to for a layup, not a 3-pointer.

When the bench of Lin, Asik & Jones comes in then the Rockets will play uptempo, be better defensively and play the same style as last year.