1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Community Top Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Feb 24, 2014.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

With baseball season just around the corner, the experts have been busy with prospect lists, and of course, the Astros are front and center in the discussion, with the collection of premier talent and outstanding depth they have amassed during these last 3 brutal seasons. Here is what we have so far:

Baseball Prospectus: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8368923&postcount=1

Crawfish Boxes: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8517280&postcount=23

FanGraphs: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8552098&postcount=30

Baseball America: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8627541&postcount=47
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8663032&postcount=170

Keith Law: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8655079&postcount=159

John Sickels: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8703108&postcount=191

So, with those lists in mind, what would your top 20 (or 30) look like?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In order of which players stat lines/game recaps I will be most interested in reading about (in tellitlikeitis' awesome posts) throughout the minor league season:

1. Correa
    2. Appel
    3. Folty
    4. McCullers
    5. Singleton
    6. Deshields
    7. Ruiz
    8. Feliz
    9. Santana
    10. Velazquez

Springer is NOT a prospect... as it won't matter what his minor league performance is at this point (good/bad) prior to him getting his much needed promotion. Also, I will probably follow Rodon's college starts about as closely as anybody on this list.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

#1 - Correa
    #2 - Springer
    #3 - Singleton
    #4 - McCullers
    #5 - Foltynewicz
    #6 - Appel
    #7 - DDJ
    #8 - Velazquez
    #9 - Santana
    #10 - Ruiz
    #11 - Feliz
    #12 - Woj
    #13 - Hader
    #14 - Stassi
    #15 - West
    #16 - Perez
    #17 - Tropeano
    #18 - Fontana
    #19 - Aplin
    #20 - Heineman

I'm not overly high on Appel, and probably unfairly so. He's so much safer than Folty or McCullers, but I can't help but feel they have higher ceilings.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are we still considering Stassi a prospect? I was thinking there was a better than even chance that Stassi is the opening day backup catcher.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

Tellit...edit your post and include yours dude! Surely yours needs to be included in this.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

His service time clock has already started... so unless he's severely overmatched at the MLB level, or unless this team is in contention and needs to get a veteran up here to handle the pitching staff, I could see him on the opening day roster.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree that he's not as exciting because he's "supposed" to be up here soon and succeed... whereas the other two have exceeded expectations thus far (and showcase 1-2 "electric" pitches... whereas Appel has a well rounded core of "good" pitches).

That being said, Appel likely is a starter at the MLB level... while the other two may end up as relievers.

#7 Nick, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I still consider Stassi a prospect because he hasn't yet exceeded rookie status (150 ML ab's). That's the guideline most of the those top prospect lists use.

Service clock doesn't continuously run from the time it starts. The minimal service time he's accumulated thus far shouldn't factor into keeping him in the bigs.

I think Stassi should start the season at AAA. He only has 8 PA's above AA (he skipped AAA the first time). If the Astros really think he has the potential to be an everyday starter then he should do it at AAA rather than languish on the bench behind Castro and Corporan.

There's no doubt that Stassi is higher in the ultimate pecking order than Corporan (who btw is a solid backup C). Yet even if Stassi replaced Corporan as back-up C and took all his PA's from last year he'd only be looking at ~210 PA's. Stassi should get 450-500 PA's if the FO expects him to get an everyday starter. I.e. he should play everyday if they think he will play every day.

The only concern I have is how crowded the catcher position has become at the AAA position. Stassi has starter upside and both Carlos Perez and Rene Garcia have back-up upside. (who'd have ever guessed upper level catching would ever be a depth spot?!?!)

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

1. Correa
    2. Singleton (last years problem was mental, still think he turns into a very good mlb hitter)
    3. Springer (I probably worry more about his K issues than most, but the upside is so high)
    4. Foltynewicz
    5. McCullers
    6. Appel
    7. Ruiz (huge upside in my opinion)
    8. Velasquez
    9. Feliz
    10. Stassi (catchers who can hit have a lot of value)
    11. Tucker
    12. West
    13. Thurman
    14. T Hernandez
    15. T Kemp
    16. Tropeano
    17. Santana (hope i'm wrong and he turns out to be legit)
    18. Hader
    19. Wojciechowski
    20. DDJ (the talent is there, but when the big questions are about work ethic, those guys rarely work out)

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Perhaps... on an "average" team, he should probably wait... but on this band of misfits, he should get any and all opportunity to adapt/learn at the MLB level.

AAA can be skipped. Castro should see more DH or possible 1B time. Give Stassi the job if he proves he's ready.

11. juicystream

He is still technically a prospect.

Stassi has been talked about like he will be on the major league roster, but I don't think the team will keep 3 catchers on the roster, nor do I expect them to let Stassi go days without playing. Corporan is still here and proven.

12. juicystream

Right now, only way I see Stassi on the ML roster is if Corp gets traded and the team looks to use Carter as their primary 1B.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Trade Corporan for TV money... or soda.

14. The Beard

The problem with that is, Castro would be a bad offensive player at 1B or DH. If he can make a career as an average defensive catcher, then his offense would make him well above average at that position. For Castro to be a guy that helps us when we are ready to compete, it almost certainly will have to be as a catcher

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's better than our current 1B and DH options. He's also not projected to be anywhere close to having the top WAR at the catcher position in the AL (Not even top 10... which surprised me).

Guess that's the problem with having a "bad" team.

16. The Beard

Well, he might be better than the other options right now, but I wouldn't want him playing 1B/DH and taking at bats away from Carter, Singleton or Big Mex when he is able to make it down here.

If he really shows no possibility of being above average at 1b/dh long term, i'd hope the younger guys get the playing time.

And I know that some people are totally against Carter because of the K's, but he did hit 29 HR last year and is only 27 years old, on this team there is no reason to not play him everyday and see if he can develop a little more. If he can get his on base back up to the .350 range (and that is what it was for a couple of hundred at bats in 2012) along with 30 HR, he wouldn't be a star obviously but there is certainly room for "that guy" batting 7th in a good lineup

17. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

Assuming you are buying what Castro did last year with the bat as the "real" Jason Castro then he is well above average offensively for any position. The average 1B/DH put up a 110 wRC+ (10% better than a league average hitter) while Castro posted a 130 wRC+ (30% better than league average). Castro slots in at 36th in all of baseball in wRC+ for players with greater than 450 plate appearances.

Castro is a good hitter (certainly the Astros best at present). The only real question is can he continue to produce similar to last season? If he can sustain his offensive production the Astros could easily slot him at DH/1B/LF without worry (assuming they would want to move him off catcher in the first place).

18. The Beard

Not sure what wRC+ is, but if it says Castro is the 36th best hitter in all of baseball then I'm not impressed with it as a measuring stick.

I like Castro, but if he is your 1B or DH you aren't gonna be above average at that spot....hope I'm wrong

19. juicystream

Well, they did say we'd be more like Oakland without a TV deal...

(for those who've seen Moneyball)

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Carter had a terrible WAR everywhere he played last year. I don't think sitting him for Castro would be doing this team a dis-service.

Chances are, Castro will either blossom as a catcher/1B/DH, or be in position to be traded prior to the next great Astros team... for THIS season, I don't see the harm in playing him at other positions where there aren't better options.