1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Asik speaks out on alleged trade demand, playing with Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

What amazes me is how on your 5th post you can get so much so wrong.

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

The audio is so hard to hear.

So wait--is there something in this video that Asik said which is making believe he wants to be traded, or that a trade is imminent? I don't get it.

That time he said he wanted to be traded--that was a knee-jerk reaction said the day after Howard was signed. Has Asik stated anything since? No. A few years ago TMac made a similar statement that he wanted to be traded. It was right after an Orlando game where he got booed and Adelman chose only to play him for 15 minutes, and so TMac come out and said it. I think TMac himself would admit that he spoke inside an emotion and in haste. People say things they don't mean sometimes, and then sometimes they do mean then but over times things change. So, what's the deal with this video that has people thinking Asik is "on his way out"?

3. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Mchale has to be given a ton of slack in how he's evaluated given the constant turnover of roster. I believe his contract ends this year, in any event, for those who hate him, or don't think he's a championship caliber coach.

Phil Jaxson is still available?

4. gate470

gate470 Rookie

EXACTLY. Seriously.

5. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

That's an excellent point.

I think Morey has been a phenom as a GM, but his style and mentality are borderline robotic. He treats the roster as moving parts in a machine, and doesn't seem to have a personal touch.

By way of contrast, there's jerry west. He's still close to kobe bryant, even though west has moved on to 2 different organizations since. Shaq had nothing but praise and could only wish him well when west left the lakers.

Morey, in spite of his technical excellence, can't seem to bond or relate to his players in the same way.

6. Rox23

Rox23 Member

If McHale can get the Twin Tower thing to work, then Asik is not going anywhere. Twin Towers would be historic. So...Asik plays 28 minutes a game and he gets to make a trip to the NBA Finals as the sixth man. Do you honestly think Asik would forfeit THAT to be the starting center of, say, the Raptors? I know I wouldn't! McHale has continually been trying to get Asik to see "the big picture". And I think Asik will.

7. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

It wasn't a knee-jerk statement made in the heat of the moment, it was reportedly a formal request that his agent made to Morey.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Who would bond with role players? It is a complete waste of time. Role players are just players you sign to fit around stars and they last only as long as they perform and are worth their contract, no more no less. There is nothing wrong at all with that approach. He seems pretty friendly with Harden and now Howard and since they are OUR stars, that is the only thing that matters IMO. Role players just need to sign their contracts and do their jobs.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

What makes it historic ? you say this as if 10+ teams didn't have this going last year, and a few of them in the playoffs with one that could actually knock down a jumper consistent "pacers, lakers, grizzlies"

10. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

It seems almost inevitable that Asik will be traded prior to the trade deadline this season. 8.5 per is just too much for a backup C, and even fewer teams will be willing to invest in asik as a one year rental for $15 mil next season.

That money is much more wisely spent on a top tier 4.

Morey will want SOME value for asik in a trade this season, but will want to preserve cap space for a max contract caliber 4 in the next offseason if he can't acquire LMA this year.

11. Sanity2disChaos

Out of lin and asik , I always knew asik was a sure thing.this doesn't surprise me after tne Dwight signing.

#be well....my friend

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He gave professional, mature answers to those questions but he made a point to deliver them in a way that said "%*# you, Rockets management" which I don't get. He is getting paid to be on a young, contending team. Will he start? No but he will still get big minutes backing up the best center and a top 5-6 player in the league.

I'm disappointed that he is more concerned with minutes/touches/etc. than with winning.

13. Sanity2disChaos

I say horford will be the realistic target.....I personally would love a line up of..

lin
    harden
    parsons
    horford
    howard

H3....built like a hummer and running over the competition!

14. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

I have to agree. I'm perplexed by his stance as well. He was a perennial reserve center for the bulls, and after just one season as a starter, he seems to feel entitled to remaining one. His salary is guaranteed but his role isn't.

15. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

I think it's all about Money,I mean guys like pekovic make 55mil over 4 years and he wants earn that much Money too,but People Wont give you that Kind of Contract if you are a Backup

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sorry about that. With Omer not a "featured speaker" in the main room, we had to follow him around and were basically at his whim on when and where he'd speak. Ultimately, he chose the most crowded Media Day hallway where noises bounced everywhere. Combine that with his accent and general soft-spoken nature, and it was tough. I think you can understand most of what he says if you turn the volume up, but my apologies on the difficulty... shouldn't be an issue in the future.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Asik getting traded at the deadline to me is one of the surest things in Rockets future, short of a Dwight Howard injury. He is certainly going to be more important to another team than as the backup here.

Morey probably told Asik as much in private. Basically something like this. "We're going to see if you and Howard can play together. Even if not, we want you to give Howard more rest during the regular season. By the time the deadline rolls around and teams become desperate for interior defense, we'll trade you."

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The conversation I keep hearing in mind goes like this:

Team: We understand your initial reaction, totally. You deserve to start. But will you at least consider that this could work?

O: What do you have in mind?

Team: No one thing. But basically, getting you 30 minutes per game and trying different sets and see what works.

O: Playing 15 minutes pergame and being invisible at the end of games will not make me happy. 30 minutes huh?

Team: Look. We cant guarantee it will work. All we ask is you give it a bit of time. Give us time to experiment.

O: Alright. Lets see how it plays out.

19. rocketblood713

sounds like a goner to me!

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

When you are young, you care about making the money. When you grow older and have made your money, you care about winning. Why are you disappointed? Money and upping your value FAR more important than winning when you are young for players due to the short shelf life they have to cash in.