1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] An NBA Nightmare: The James Harden-Dwight Howard Pick-and-Roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Jul 18, 2013.

1. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Yes, believe it or not who a player PnR with does affect PPP.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Please, coach couldn't even teach pat how to set a proper pick.

3. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

Rocket Rant Pick and roll style

Clog the middle and force the ball handler to shoot, or get in the face of the ball handler and force him to pass. Pick your poison. Against the Clippers, force Chris Paul to shoot. Sure he will hit some shots, but it is so much better that he shoots a contested shot than having him lob a pass to DeAndre (or anyone else on his team) for a dunk. So, focusing on bumping or slowing the roller is one way to defense the pick and roll. Trapping the ball-handler is another way of defensing the pick and roll. It just depends on who is doing the trapping as it's going to be a guard(matched up on the other team's PG) and usually a center or PF. We got Dwight Howard at freaking center now. Chris Paul or ??? better hit their shots.

And with Asik out there last season, pick and roll did not fair so well for opposing teams. It usually ended in an attempted 3. Yes, Sometimes a wide open three. It all depends on who is shooting that 3. Against the best teams in the league, you will have to live with that three. And when it bricks, get the rebound and fast break to the other end for an easy two.

Have you ever heard of the term Live and Die by the 3? Make the opposing team live and die by that. Good luck!

4. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Could have fooled me. I thought his greatest strengths were ISO and dribbling away the clock until 2 seconds left before passing the ball off to a teammate.

j/k Harden is a great player. He is just young and need more seasoning. I am sure he wall have a great season coming up.

5. PatBeverleyFan

Lin/Harden/Howard gonna prosper with them PnR next season!

6. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]
    Terrence Jones starting:grin::grin:

7. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

we need his spot up 3 to be great this year.

8. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The only problem I see with this is that Dwight is not able to hit in a pick and pop situation. If he doesn't finish right at the cup he can be neutralized.

9. cbb139

cbb139 Member

this whole thing about Dwight not wanting to run a pnr is a myth. Would you want to set a pick for Kobe and never get the ball on the roll when you are open?

Harden, Lin and Parsons are all willing passers, Dwight should get a few easy bucket a game with no problem

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Going to be a lethal play.

Can't wait for the season to start. I wanna see rox vs. thunder, spurs, mavs, LAKERS, griz, nugs, warriors, clips, heat, pacers!

:eek:

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

Good read.

Regarding Harden's P&R, a lot times, Harden used screen to get a mismatch iso. I am not sure your data excludes those plays or not. I don't consider those plays as typical P&R I have had in my mind. Of course, it's debatable.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Seeing griz and nugs so close together seems racist. Griznug!

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I think teams will leave Jlin open and dare him to beat them with a jumper or finishing at the rim. The San Antonio Spurs dared LeBron James to beat them with the jumper and should've won the NBA title. So I don't think teams are going to let Dwight roll to the bucket without some interference.

So this PnR will be based on how well Jlin does at making the defense pay. If he's Linsanity or slightly less, we are all good. If not, say hello to PBev, Francisco, or whoever can hit a wide open jump shot and play some D!

14. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

No. No he is not.

15. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

But Morey said Lin was top 5 in pick & roll offense. Maybe Morey is using his own special calculations to come to that conclusion. Or he could just be blowing smoke... Or a combination of both...Lol.

16. chandlerbang21

Don't believe the hype midrange jumpers are essential to teams with skilled shooters. Rockets just don't have anyone good enough to make them since plat was traded

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I would say that's exactly what it was. Dwight thought he could get a higher percentage shot, but Kobe probably waived him off too much, which led to DH wanting post ups, so he could make the decision.

[​IMG]

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You need a better understanding of basketball. A contested 2 point shot is the worst shot in the game. And with Lin, Harden and Parsons if you can get an open 2 point jump shot why aren't you taking it to the hoop?

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Did you miss the part where Harden was 5th in the entire league in Pick and Roll offense? I'd say using Harden in the Pick and Roll is certainly using him to his "strengths"...

20. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

I don't think many people understand. Its about netting the most points out of your players.

Assuming Harden can avg 12 pt from PnR plays per game and 12 pts from 3 pts shots and Lin can avg 10 pts from PnR and 9 from 3 pts. The net avg for Harden PnR and Lin 3 pts is 21 where as it would be 22 with Lin PnR and Harden at the 3.

Its about efficiency and getting the most points from your players.