1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] An NBA Nightmare: The James Harden-Dwight Howard Pick-and-Roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Jul 18, 2013.

1. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

This. As much as I like Lin, it's obviously more deadly with Harden being the ball handler/shooter in a P&R situation with DH12. Lin can still be a very useful piece with his court vision and quick penetration.

2. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Not sure that I agree. The 3 pt by Harden would be more efficient then a step back. They will probably try out different combination in the beginning of the season to see how things work, we will probably have a better idea at that time.

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

We will just agree to disagree. :)

Bottom line, it's a good problem to have when you have two great pick and roll handlers to pair up with a beast in Dwight Howard.

4. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

Just last year's. For what it's worth, Lin was actually worse with the Knicks (0.8 PPP). Source

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Harden's greatest strength is his PnR, going back from last season and his season in OKC. Are you really suggesting Harden's greatest strength is equaled by Jeremy Lin?

6. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

You miss the point.... The step back IS a 3.... A wide open 3 because the defender went under the pick, and the step back added another 3 feet. Harden went ham on step back treys last year. And, on PnR, 95% of the time the handler or the roller end up with the shot, so why would you want the better % player out of the equation? I said that, then I saw 2012...

7. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Read the article, but didnt really need to. You can almost imagine how dangerous and hard to defend the P&R will be for the opposition.... I'm just worried about he defense from Harden and who ever plays at the 4.

8. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Now imagine Parsons and Ryan Anderson spotting up in each corner.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Great read. Thanks, GBRocket.

1 person likes this.
  10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Dwert, get the rebound. Plz Dwert.

2 people like this.
  11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I wonder if part of the problem Dwight might have had with the "pick and roll" with the Lakers, was that they often forgot to pass the ball the to the roller. So it was more the pick and go rebound Kobe's shot for Dwight.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That is a good point

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Meant to quote you. That is a valid point

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

1 person likes this.
  15. rokit

rokit Member

for what it's worth lin's FG% coming out of PnR is actually higher than harden's, it's his slightly higher to% and his 3point shooting that's messing up his ranking.

btw harden is 5th and lin is 43th

16. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

also kobe tends to create his own shot, dribbling around even after the pick.

harden plays more "downhill", which would involve the roller more.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not with Nash running it which is what allegedly Nash said Dwight didn't want to do.

If Nash runs it with you he'll give you the pass.

That said, I really doubt MDA was trying to turn the Lakers into a Nash led PnR team when Dwight was still healthy. Kobe would have fired him.

18. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

Does it matter?

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I too think Jeremy could replicate his success with the P/R with Howard, but the issue is gonna be more with teams respecting Lin and his jumper, vs, Harden.

The reason for Harden's success is that he really is a triple threat player...can shoot, can pass, and can drive...

Lin has still yet to prove just being a devastating shooter.

Regardless, for the Rockets that are so P/R heavy, having Howard is a huge upgrade from Asik(love Asik, but there were so many missed conversions). The Rockets are gonna be devastating.

20. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

If you the step back will be a 3 then I definitely would agree that would be a better setup. However, don't believe that would be the case in most play runs. High post PnR is generally designed to give space for penetration though.

Not sure what you are insinuating with your last line. I can't make an argument for a better setup because I joined in 2012?