1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] 5 Thoughts After Witnessing Hakeem The Dream Play Once Again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 1, 2015.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

That particular move was simple. Dream's footwork is unmatched in the history of sports. That particular play though, was very simple. That doesn't take away from the Dream shake and how unstoppable it was. Don't be so insecure!

You think you know me because I'm a tmac fan, you don't! I know the ins and outs of every era in basketball history. Maybe you do to, but you ignore certain aspects which discredits you completely!

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tmac fans call Hakeem's moves simple, yet Tmac's main move is a pull up jumper

Oh ok

I don't think that was simple, dream played chess with him and had him guessing.

It looks simple cause dream is doing it, Dwight couldn't do it, if he did he would look like a robot

#102 tinman, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  3. craguin

craguin Member

Kevin Durant?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Must've missed when Durant became a big man.

I remember him being a tall, skinny, perimeter player with little-to-no post game.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Dude, I'm not arguing Tmac vs Dream. And I'm not saying Dreams moves are simple, I'm saying THAT MOVE was simple. Sure he's smooth with it which is really impressive, especially for a 52 year old.

Just stop it man! Dreams track record speaks for itself, you have no reason to defend something as ridiculous as this!

6. tinman

Supporting Member

if that move was simple, could dwight do it? or d'andre jordan? or andrew bogut or timofy mozgof?

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

i don't think they could, you picked four guys with no jump shot. But there's plenty of guys that could. Both Gasols, Lamarcus Alderidge, Boogie, Milsap, Horford, Blake, Dmo, Duncan, and many many more.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

you named some power forwards, i meant centers.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Marc, Boogie and Horford are centers. Maybe even Timmy next to LMA

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

None of those guys do that shot. Maybe the can in practice, but to succeed at this you need counter moves. Why even face up like Hakeem does and dribble at the defender unless you intend to get an easier shot if he guards you too close. If you can't dribble attack like Dream does, with the counter moves that get you past the defender to the rim, then you just do what Alderidge and Nowitzki do and shoot a fadeaway jumper without face-up dribbling.

Why complicate a fadeaway with the dancing Hakeem is doing? You complicate it so you can put the defender in the spin cycle and get to the rim. Now tell us who you see doing counter moves off of Hakeem initial face-up dribbling?

Duncan has definitely never done anything close to what Hakeem does.

Griffin is more about spin moves (like Barkley/Yao) from a post to the baseline or drives across the lane.

I'm stunned people actually think anyone other than Melo and wing players who have face up games can do what Dream does.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Clutch said "big men" in the post. That'd be 4's and 5's.

You're conpicating things HP. He faced up, one dribble spin, fadeaway. That was his intention the whole time. He put Nikola in a "spin cycle"?? How? Nikola wasn't even playing defense, he just threw a hand up to make it look like he was trying. And yall keep actimb like I'm saying all of Hakeem's moves (when he played) were simple. That's NOT what I'm saying, nobody in the league can make the moves Hakeem made throughout his whole career. But there's very few basketball players that can't do what he did in the Africa game.

It's really impressive that he did it at age 52, but that's the only impressive thing about it. It was cool to see, made us all think of the glory days. But to say that 52 year old Hakeem can do things that nobody else in the NBA can do is downright absurd! It's about the worst homerism I've ever seen!

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Duncan's been a Center ever since Robinson retired

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We know he can do the counter moves. We've seen it in his training camps that he does. The point is you are looking at just that one play. Had Vucevic tried to guard him closer, he would have showed the shake/spin to the hole.

And still, no one dances like that on a fadeaway. We're not being homies, we are just experts at that move and the counters, and we know it when we see it, and NBA bigs don't do that dance from a face up.

I didn't say he put Vucevic in the spin cycle. I said he did in the past and can still do it, and no one else but Melo can. I said that's why he faces up and shows the ball. We didn't see the counters, be we would have had he kept doing that move.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It might look like it's just a spin and a fadeaway to someone who hasn't ever played organized ball - but what he did in the Africa was intricate.

First of all, Hakeem jabs his left foot forward and does a pretty un-Hakeem like Dream shake, he then makes his misdirection with his left foot and takes a few dribbles into defender.

Then you see the defender off balance trying to prevent the goal line drive. Notice also that he is backpedaling and Hakeem is getting closer to the basketball. So this is the true aim of his moves, not to get an open shot, but to get closer to the basket for a higher percentage shot.

Rockets: So Hakeem drives right and spins

Now Notice the two hands on Hakeem's back. This guy is going to hammered.

Finally,

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

And you know I've never played organized basketball?? How?

That's just dumb to assume, for all you know I played DI... Maybe had a chance to play overseas... Maybe I had an opportunity out of HS to walk on at small DII but decided not to because I knew I wasn't good enough and needed to make some money.

If you guessed the 3rd one, you'd be correct. I've played basketball my entire life. I'm nothing special, but don't assume I've never played organized basketball when you know nothing about me.

I'm done arguing this. Hakeem's the greatest Center of all time, he has the greatest post game and footwork of all time. A decent post move in a charity game doesn't add or takeaway from his greatness. But all you old man fanboys acting like this move is anything more than proof that the old man still plays devalues this canvases credibility.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Fixed

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I see you're still going with the plenty of guys that can make that move argument.
    I'll give you both Gasol's and Blake. Maybe LMA too.
    The rest of them...Dude no.
    Maybe I'm wrong, provide video showing those players listed(after LMA) making a similar move and you'll have made your point.
    Facing the defender then a spin move & fadeaway.

#117 ferrari77, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I did that move on a carpet court against a church deacon last week...

19. SemisolidSnake

To answer #4, no, nobody in the NBA can pull off that move today. Even Hakeem's students. The Dream is one-of-a-kind.

20. Aydge

Aydge Member

Kobe Bryant is the only other player to ever pull off a legitimate dream shake in an NBA game.

Embiid is the only big that could potentially pull it off.

[​IMG]