1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch City Supporting Cast 94, 95

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 24, 2013.

?

Clutch City Supporting Cast

1. Heroes

96.3%
  2. Zeros

3.7%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream didn't win it by himself.
    They had rebuilt his supporting cast ever since Ralph Sampson was lost and our best players got banned for cocaine.

Let me remind you. Don't ever let anyone degrade the supporting cast of the Rockets championships.

Kenny Smith
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8W088765Vxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vernon Maxwell
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0idEHGQFlP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Otis Thorpe
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xS9z3qr41gM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert Horry
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pW6DXulhG74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sam Cassell
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rInVDlgu6L0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mario Elie
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J3YHjvpgZIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clyde Drexler
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yo4PY_FVK7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Carl Herrera
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ph6UN-9T5RQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm not sure I'd call Clyde "supporting cast", he was no roleplayer

3. tinman

Supporting Member

his role was being the 2nd best player. his days of being the best player on his team were in portland.

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LhydzXhSiIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Gonna go back to the desert"

#4 BasketballReasons, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Awesome, this was an EXCEPTIONAL SUPPORTING CAST.

The level of clutchness and toughness was second to none.

Mario Elie won another title with the Spurs, he was a key supporting cast to the title.

I can't believe some people would think our supporting cast wasn't exceptional.

6. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Sometimes I like to use the argument Hakeem won it in 94 without any all-stars that year on his team, but thats just to troll those that are ignorant of how good role players playing as a team can be.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. THE K-MAN

THE K-MAN Member

imo I believe #33 should be hanging in the Toyota Center

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

10. Yellow

Yellow Member

What the hell???? Sacrilegious!

Also, Kenny Smith is probably the most underrated of the whole championship team. He didn't really look like a true PG, by the standards of the 90s, because he shot a lot and drove in for a lot of lay-ups and kick outs (kind of like Lin) but he was. He had good assist games and got Dream going, along with Maxwell. Right now, neither Lin, Beverley nor Harden or Garcia is getting Dwight going. Really miss that...

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The numbers can be deceiving two guys could average 20 points a game and be different players. One guy could average 15 points in the first quarter and the other guy could average 15 points in the 4th quarter. That's one example but certain stats don't tell the whole story or really expose the importance of a player's true worth.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think people appreciate how good dreams supporting cast was. They weren't just decent little rotation players clinging on to dreams greatness. They all could have been one of the top guys on lesser teams, but took a backseat to be champions.

Otis Thorpe

From 86 -92 he averaged 18 and 10 on 55% shooting, and a rugged defensive player, he was an all-star level player. When Dream took off in 92 OT took less shots for the good of the team, he didn't get worse. His greatness more so than any of the other players has unfortunately been forgotten.

Kenny Smith

In 1991 he averaged 18 and 7 on 52% shooting. Mind you Dream missed 26 games that year, an we still won 52 games.

Vernon Maxwell

He averaged 17 PPG in 91 and 92, and was a lockdown defensive player, he gave Jordan more trouble than just about anybody, bat S**t crazy though

Sam Cassell

Was a rookie, but a talented one with giant brass cajones. When given a chance he proved to be a borderline all-star for most of his career.

Robert Horry

Much more of a role player than the other guys, but playing a major role on 7 champions speaks for itself. Winning teams wanted him.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

'94

The cast was good, but probably one of the worst for a championship team. Ewing had a better cast.

'95

Much better due to Drexler. '95 playoffs was Clyde's last sustain run of greatness. They could've competed with any team in history IMO. (I'll assume you mean non-Hakeem cast when you say supporting cast. If not, see '94 answer.)

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Horry was an athletic shot blocker at the 3, as well as being a lock down defender. His ability to hit big shots, especially in Playoffs, is what made him a hot commodity.

I understand that trades have to be made to bring in the best talent available...such as Barkley, but I truly believe that had we kept Robert Horry & Sam Cassell we would've won at least 2 more titles.

15. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

He WAS an all star in 2004 I believe.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Hahahaha. Not even close .Otis was a rock

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Are we talking 94 or 95 team for supporting cast?

I'm torn on the 94 team. They had the demeanor to walk in and rip their opponents hearts, hopes and dreams to bits. I'm not sure what they are as individuals though outside of Maxwell, Horry, and Otis. On the other hand, Dream is the only superstar to win one by himself so that pretty much says it all. They win the argument.

[​IMG]

18. tinman

Supporting Member

The year when dream was out, Otis stepped up and was awesome.
    That don Chaney year .

94 Otis. Remember against the Knicks? He defended all their thugs

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Supposedly, Rick Barry also won as the only superstar.