1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch City Lives On!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AntiSonic, Nov 13, 1999.

1. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

At least in the video game world.

Just got done with game seven of the 1996 Western Conference Finals against the Suns on NBA Live 96 for the Genesis(yeah, it's a pretty boring Saturday today [​IMG]). Hakeem hit the game-winning shot, a fallaway jumper in Danny Schayes' face to secure a Rockets victory, 103-101. Dream finished the night with 49 points, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks, a steal, and an assist. Drexler fouled out late in the fourth after adding 41 points for the Rockets while Charles Barkley poured in 42 points in a losing effort for Phoenix. The Rockets move on to face the Chicago Bulls on Monday for game one of the 1996 NBA Finals at the Summit(it really is a slow day. [​IMG]).

Any other exciting games people have played through?

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

My friends and I used to play NBAJamTE for the SNES. That game came after the '94 season, so of course the Rockets are the best team on the game, and our team of choice.

After we got tired of just beating everyone in the NBA, we got the special power-up codes from the internet. After setting the difficulty level to 'very easy' and turning up the juice to the fastest setting, we punched in the codes for power-up steals and power-up fire. Our best score was Houston: 365 to Whoevers: (about) 14.

Not to brag, but I was always the best at that game among our group. Everyone got tired of me beating the hell out of them all the time, so we finally started playing team games and just going for high scores. The best I ever did was with Dream in a one-player game. I cheated, of course, with the codes and all and wound up with some ridiculous stats, all with Olajuwon:
    3's: 121
    FG's: 122
    Steals: 110+
    Blocks: 35+
    Rebounds: 50+
    Assists: 0 (one-player game, so my drone teammate didn't do much)
    These are rough estimates. The only one that isn't rough was the score of 365. We (I) never could surpass that mark. Those were fun times.

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans

[This message has been edited by Lynus302 (edited November 13, 1999).]

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Oh my! [​IMG]

My best all-time stat line that I can think of off the top of my head was in NBA Hangtime. I used Drexler and he recorded a quintuple-double.

85 points
    34 steals
    15 assists
    22 blocks
    11 rebounds

... But nothing like 365 points! [​IMG]

4. Lynus302

Yeah, cheat codes make all the difference in the world. Or maybe it was because I was playing with the Dream.
    [​IMG]

------------------

5. Ollie

Ollie Member

Hangtime is the best.... I was an old T.E. player myself, but whooping the computer gets old fast, even if you are trying to get quintupile-doubles... My friends and I used to always play multiple 7 game series of Hangtime when I was living in Houston. AntiSonic- I'm just curious, but did you change the time or difficulty settings for that particular game? And are you a player who alwys shoots 3's or goes for dunks and alley-oops sometimes? I'd love to play any of you... The stat in Hangtime/Jam I like the most is the injuries. I take pride in the fact that I can push my opponent over over 50 times a game.

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Ollie-- I set the clock to the slowest setting to allow maximum scorage. There's just something about games where both teams have to combine to reach 100 points that turns me off from basketball. [​IMG]

My playing style is just a straight-up highlight reel. Most of the time I just use Clyde to go coast-to-coast for monster slams, but I do take a little time to set up some alley-oops for Hakeem. Very little 3's or jumpshots.

As for difficulty, it's always on high, even though it's kinda ridiculous when Luc Longley drops 30 points on ya like that.

[This message has been edited by AntiSonic (edited November 16, 1999).]

7. Lynus302

My only complaints about TE was there was no stat for how well a player could rebound and there was no half-time/end-of-game stat for injuries caused. I loved to get in there and beat the hell out of people.

------------------

8. Lynus302

For me on TE it was slowest setting, Juice Mode at 4x, and difficulty on 'very easy' with the codes on fire and quick hands. We would go on runs scoring a basket every three seconds, a 3ptr, at that. Those runs would only last for a few seconds but it was pretty scary at 3 points every 3 seconds with Olajuwon, Horry, and Thorpe shooting all all the baskets. You can play MONSTER defense with the code for powerup Fire. You know it was crazy with Dream hitting all those three's. Damn, I need to dust off that game and see what Damage, Inc. can still do.

------------------

9. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Have any of you played NBA2K for Dreamcast? I love it. One of my buddies has it, so I haven't played the system, only real life opponents. I didn't check any player ratings, I just played. He was the Kings, I was the Rox. We'll just say that Vlade was no match for Dream. I think Hak had 29 with like 11 boards and at least 5 swats of Jason Williams. Overall, I enjoyed the game a lot. The gameplay seemed very realistic, but I haven't played against the system.

10. Ollie

Ollie Member

The biggest problem I had with TE was that Horry, and especially Thorpe, shot 3's WAY to well. I always shoot 3's first then do the simultaneous rebound/layup if I miss. Another thing I didn't like and still don't like, is that if you're up 2 on the COM with over 0.7 seconds remaining, you had a GOOD chance of losing (at least compared to what it should be).

11. NBA 2k is awesome. The best Basketball simulator ever. The moves are ultra realistic.

Right now Im half way through the first season, and Hakeem is averaging 21.2 pts, 10.5 boards, Barkley is at 16.8 pts and 9.9 boards, Francis is at 18.7 pts, and 11 assists, Anderson is averaging 11.3 with 2 boards, and 3 assists, while Williams is dogging it at 7.8 and 1 board, with less than 1 assist.

The cool part is that there is an all star voting that goes along with the season. For great games, a player collects more votes, and crappy games, he gets less.

Right now Hakeem is 1st ahead of Shaq, but its really close. Barkley is second but by light years to Malone, and Francis is second behind Kidd, and no matter what I try, I can't get him any closer to Kidd.

Some other cool points about the game. Players like Barkley will dominate against lets say AC Green, but when pitted against players they normally struggle with, in the game they'll struggle to get points. Barkley usually gets dominated by Duncan, and can't have a really great game against Malone. For some reason Hakeem struggles against Bradley, but is capable of going toe to toe with Shaq.

As far as graphics go...Its unbelievable. Perfectly rendered 3d grachics. Faces, body types, arena's, how someone runs, defendes, is all to good.
    This game is ubelievable.

[This message has been edited by thedreamshake99 (edited November 26, 1999).]

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

So I take it NBA2K is all the reason one needs to shell out the dough for a Dreamcast? [​IMG]

13. Im 25 years old and have no shame in admitting that I bought the Dreamcast for 1 reason. Sports games.

NFL 2k is just as good.

Its also cool that you can play a complete stranger over the internet with the Dreamcast