1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cliven Bundy: Welfare Rancher & Insurgent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Apr 15, 2014.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree, but his original argument still has no merit, so what does it matter? This his family allegedly used that land before Nevada existed doesn't give him ownership. He can't point to an inheritance that says he received the land from some ancestor. He can't show a deed to the land for himself. Even if the land 'truly' belonged to the State of Nevada instead of the US Government, he still doesn't have the right to graze on it, and he hasn't been paying Nevada for access either. Even if he was completely right in all his claims, he'd still be a freeloader and a criminal. I think the BLM has trod very lightly with him, and law enforcement has been too circumspect about arresting him.

3. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I have a suspicion, for Bundy, it's much more about $$$$$$$$$ than anything else.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Did you even read the article? :confused::confused::confused:

and if you care so much about killing cattle, I have to assume you're a vegan: correct me if I'm wrong.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No he is not. Republicans may have been afraid to criticize him, but that was because he held the support of a small radical wing. (Tea Party)

Noted liberal commentators such as Tucker Carlson, Bill O'Reilly, Charles Krauthammer and George Will have said from the beginning that the law was not on this guys side. I wish some conservative commentators would start listening to those crazy libs!

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yeah, I've come across some of the coverage while channel flipping and there sure is a divide w/in their coverage, mainly between the educated conservatives and the populist conservatives.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Lay with dogs and you get fleas, pubbies.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

I think this is well said.

9. mc mark

Well of course since Bundy has been outed for what he is the establishment is running as fast as they can away from him.

So to re-cap: Make racist statements and you are a pariah. make seditious statements (and point guns) against the government and you're a hero.

10. justtxyank

The names I listed have been against him from the get go with a small dose of "government is overreacting" thrown in.

11. mc mark

Rumors are flying that Bundy will be the Keynote speaker if Las Vegas wins the bid to hold the 2016 GOP convention.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bottom line is this. Bundy was a freeloader who welched off of the Federal govt. Then he criticized others who took govt. subsidies. Yet when the govt. came to make him pay up, he refused to do so.

Meanwhile a bunch of gun fetishists who had an irrational dislike of the federal govt. saw a chance to stand with a like minded individual who was breaking the law, govt. chose not to escalate the situation.

FOX news stood with Bundy until he showed his racist side.

1 person likes this.
  13. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Here we see the other side of the "if you ever criticize any black person, you're racist." In this case it is: "If you ever call an obvious racist a racist, you are 'playing the race card.'" I guess we should call it the 'playing the race card' card.

FV, Bundy said "One thing I know about the negro" is they would have been better off as slaves picking cotton. There is no f***cking spin for this. You don't get to complain about any journalist 'playing the race card' when something this abhorrent is spoken. This wasn't secretly recorded by an agent at closed-room meeting. Bundy spoke extemporaneously for an hour to a gathering of people who came there to hear him speak. There cameras were rolling, and he knew it. There's no "gotcha" here. This is a bald-faced bigot baring his ugly soul for all to see. You don't get to cry foul when he is righteously condemned for it.

If you bother to come back to this thread, I look forward to you berating Hannity et al for their 'hit piece' on Bundy for his horrible, racist remarks.

When a dumbass racist wannabe 'patriot' makes headlines for a standoff with federal agents, then holds forth with his followers for an hour on the record, on camera, and says this abhorrent racist spew, every journalist out there is going to jump on this, not just the Times. You don't need some cackling, mustache-twirling bad guy to command his secret media army to attack.

Are you angry that the abhorrent racism of a self-made 'patriot' distracts from the issue of states rights? Well, be angry at that fool for being such a fool, and for letting everybody know.

All of American media jumped on this. To call it a 'hit piece' is delusional.

14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Isn't one of the pillars of American conservatism property rights?

How is this guy a hero for profiting off of land that was never his?

Are you only a "freeloader" if you're brown?

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Again, I'm no fan of Fox News and their schtick, but every station has a schtick. And again, there has a been a divide from the beginning within their cast from the few mentions that I've seen while channel flipping. It's the educated conservatives who have been anti-Bundy from the start vs. the populist Palin type conservatives who have been pro-Bundy.

I saw the video below when it aired live weeks ago before the racism issue. No one on that panel seemed pro-Bundy.
    http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/speci...eaction-bundy-land-dispute-federal-government

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Actually it's one of the pillars of Americanism, in that it was a necessary step for developing an alternative to monarchical government.

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

You guys are idiots for doing this. One day your old ass is going to be sitting on your old-ass front porch minding your own old-ass business and some young whippersnapper is going to tie you to a cross because of the beliefs you hold now.

Idiots.

18. mc mark

19. justtxyank

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't get the reasoning behind you writing this.