1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClipsNation-Ahead of the curve on hating the Warriors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Clippers fans have known for awhile what the wider NBA fandom is about to find out — there are plenty of good reasons to hate the Warriors
    by Steve Perrin

Full disclosure, my brother is a Clippers fan though not unbalanced like myself. As we were watching, he observed that although he liked the Clippers, he had to admit that the Warriors were a very likable group of players (he did make an exception for Draymond Green, of course). I looked at him and said: "Just wait."

By Game 7, he had turned against every Dubs starter and most of the bench, including his beloved Klay Thompson (my brother went to Washington State, and all Coogs are by default beloved).

My brother's perception of the Warriors completely transformed in fewer than seven games of actually watching them. Many Clippers fans were out in front of the latest NBA craze — hating the Warriors. Everyone else around the country is now finding out what we've known for a long time: the Warriors aren't the "beautiful basketball" darlings that ESPN told you they are. In fact, they're annoying as hell.

The super-Warriors will be disliked at least for the obvious reason that they will be heavy favorites, and there are plenty of fans who like to root against the top dog. But there are perfectly legitimate reasons to cast Golden State as the villains, both collectively and individually. As it happens, the NBA Finals exposed several holes in the Warriors' narrative.

1. The Warriors are NOT playing beautiful basketball. It is indisputable that Stephen Curry is an incredible talent, and in fact his 2015-2016 season was almost certainly the greatest display of individual offensive basketball in the history of the league. But I got SO SICK of Mike Breen and others talking about how they share the basketball and get great shots, contrary to the evidence of the games themselves. The Warriors (especially Curry and Thompson) actually take TERRIBLE shots — they just happen to make a bunch of them. Now, you can argue that the fact that they make them means that they are good shots — but you can't argue that it's great team offense. The idea that Steve Kerr is the coach of the year when any other coach would be fired for allowing his players to jack up 35 footers with 20 seconds on the shot clock (James Harden cost two coaches their job last season alone) is absurd. The Dubs score a lot of points, and yes, they get more than their share of layups — but when defenses have to send two defenders at Curry five steps beyond the three point line, allowing the rest of the team to play four on three, layups happen. That's a result of paradigm-altering individual talent, not great coaching or great team play.
    2. Look no further than the defensive end to see that the Warriors have gotten big heads. The 14-15 team was the best defensive team in the league. Last season, they were pretty ordinary on defense, mostly because they didn't care.
    3. Thompson clearly has a serious ego problem and desperately needs to learn when to keep his damn mouth shut. Clippers fans already knew that after his feud with Doc Rivers a year ago. Everyone else saw it with his "I guess his feelings got hurt" reference to LeBron James. The moment he said that, I told anyone who would listen that the Cavs were going to win the series — Thompson went out of his way to piss off LeBron, and you don't have to be a genius to know that it would not end well for Thompson or the Warriors.
    4. Curry's mouthpiece throwing tantrum was a bad look, but the guy's preening and posing had worn thin long before that. And what is with Under Armor / Jamie Foxx telling me that Steph is some sort of everyman superstar, "The patron saint of the underdog"? He's the freaking son of an NBA player! How exactly is he an underdog?
    5. While we're on the subject of Steph, he's not responsible for the actions of his wife of course, but it certainly didn't help the reputation of the Warriors when she started ranting about conspiracies. Um, Ayesha, here's a tip — when your husband has won two straight MVPs and an NBA Title, it's not a good look to suggest that the NBA "is absolutely rigged." Did they just start rigging it the day you got mad? Cuz if they've been rigging it any longer than that, then by definition they were rigging it in your favor.
    6. Even their owner is an arrogant b*stard. How stupid do you need to be to brag that you're "light years ahead" of any other organization in the league? In PRINT!? This is feature journalism, you know. This isn't an expose. The authors surely sent him an advance copy, he looked at it and said, "Sure, that's accurate. No problem with that quote."
    7. Draymond Green.
    And to that already villainous crew we have now added Kevin Durant.

Can't you just see the teenage Durant on the playground in DC? A very competitive pickup game has just concluded, with Durant coming out on the losing end by a single point. The other team asks "Do you wanna run it back?" and he replies "Sure, if I get to play on your team."

In announcing his decision to join the team that won an NBA record 73 games last season, Durant said that the Warriors' "vibe" was "authentic and organic". WHAT? Does anyone really need more reason to hate this team?

Durant joining the Warriors is so wrong that it ALMOST makes Andrew Bogut a sympathetic character, since they had to shed his salary to make it happen. Bogut is arguably the dirtiest player in the NBA, and was certainly a part of why the Warriors have been so eminently hate-able the last few seasons, but the super-Warriors actually make me feel a little sorry for him.

Obviously the Warriors are going to be very, very good, and they are widely expected to win the title, with justification. In a superstar driven NBA, there are probably only three legitimate MVP candidates in the league right now, and two of them are now on the same team. (Thompson for his part has not gotten over his habit of saying stupid stuff — he's in for a rude awakening if he thinks he's not going to have to defer to the two players who have won the last three MVP awards.)

We've had MVPs team up before. But you have to go back to Cousy and Russell and the 1958 Celtics to find existing MVPs on the same team in their relative primes — and even then Cousy was 30. The good news, if you're a not a fan of foregone conclusions, is that there have been many super teams in recent history that have come up short. The 2003 Lakers actually featured two existing MVPs (Malone and Shaq) and one future MVP (Kobe), but were humiliated in the NBA finals by the nameless Pistons. The first season LeBron spent in Miami with Wade and Bosh did not end the way everyone expected (though they did end up winning a ring together). And though it seems strange to think of it now, the Lakers with Kobe-Pau-Nash-Howard Lakers were widely expected to dominate the Western Conference in 2013. In other words, there's a healthy tradition of super-teams underperforming in recent years, so there is hope.

I'm not looking forward to watching the Warriors run up huge win totals and margins this year. But watching the country turn against them? That part is going to be fun.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2016/10/...ymond-green-kevin-durant-los-angeles-clippers

ParaSolid likes this.
  2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Wait, game 7 last year? If so, his brother is super late to the party.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Somehow I forgot KD went to GSW. Damn him all over again.

4. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

You know I never disliked the Warriors until their first championship run. Still, I noticed that there was a lot of b**** made in there. Like a lot. I think the first time I noticed was when the Rockets spanked them in that one game where Houston tied for most threes made in a game, and Mark Jackson started fouling to avoid us getting the record. I particularly didn't like that moment, but I honestly didn't give a **** about the Warriors to dislike them. I saw that weak ass feud they had with the Clippers and I thought, "wow, these guys are annoying and entitled as ****." Meanwhile, the entire country went on to root for the Warriors and hate the Clippers and the entire country was hugely disappointed when LA beat Golden State in 7. I didn't get it. I've seen Warriors fans say they "hate Chris Paul on a personal level." Warriors fans and Warriors players are just so weirdly annoying that it doesn't make sense. They have this huge sense of entitlement. They literally think they're Patriots or Lakers fans. Newsflash, Patriots and Lakers fans have the history to back up their douchey behavior.

The Warriors have been relevant for two years. There's no reason why Warriors players and fans should be acting like they've been running the game for years. Look at CP3. He's been at the top of the mountain for years, and he has some of the best sportsmanship in the entire league yet he's never done anything douchey or entitled. When his team loses he makes no excuses. When his team loses he doesn't walk off the court without shaking hands. Nothing entitled about him yet NBA fans despise him because he's a flopper? It's ridiculous. Andre Igoudala is lame as hell. He wins 57 games with the Nuggets. The Nuggets traded for him. Danilo tears his ACL or something right before the playoffs starts. Denver loses to the Warriors in the first round. Andre leaves the Nuggets for the team that beats him. That. Is. So. b****. Made.

ParaSolid likes this.
  5. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Is this sarcastic?

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Iggy is a lame b****. So glad that LeBron literally pummeled him to submission last Finals. He rammed Iguodala until Iggy's back gave out LOL!

I especially liked Cleveland winning after Iggy postured and preened throughout the first two games of the Finals.

7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I've actually hated Green since he was the nobody who flagrant fouled Bev to stop us from breaking the single game 3pt FGM record. Now THAT's ahead of the curve.

rolyat93, Von Rafer and OmenXYZ like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do we really need a Clippers fan to tell us why we should hate the Warriors?

9. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

F the clippers too

Von Rafer likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What's amazing is that KD can join a team full of douchebags and instantly become chief douchebag. Still, they are the best team in the league by talent. I would argue that Curry, Durant and Green are MVP candidates this season.

Green
    Durant
    Iguodala
    Thompson
    Curry

That's an all-time notable line up given 4 of them are in their prime.

11. valorita

valorita Member

This is an age old phenomenon,
    Otherwise noted as "haters" lol

Ask yourselves this,

If we had Durant/Curry/Iggy/Thompson/Green/Livingston etc on the Rockets, would anyone still feel the same way?

12. eslate22

eslate22 Member

that was because he was told by his coach to foul anyone attempting a 3... b**** ass marc jackson couldn't handle letting someone set a record on him

Pen15clubber and rolyat93 like this.
  13. val_modus

val_modus Member

Dwight Howard and Josh Smith played on the same AAU team.

Haymitch likes this.
  14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He was all smug about it though. And the future would eventually show how big a douche he really is.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

This.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

F Marc Jackson

F KD

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

F the Warriors.

18. rockets13champs

Positionless hoops

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If you ever figure out the answer to this let me know - I've never understood it.

Steph Curry is one of the most camera-aware athletes that I've ever seen; he knows the camera is on him at all times and he constantly plays games with a smirk (sort of like old Kobe), or prances around knowing that he's on 'the show'. Let's say that I'm biased (I am) and his ego is just as big as any given NBA player - but so much is made of his 'humility'. We Rockets fans know that you can look at Yao Ming for an example of world-class humility.

If anything Steph is a late bloomer; but that doesn't equate to underdog. Still stumped by that one.

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

One of the games I've had the pleasure to go to, was so pissed at b**** Mark Jackson and their crew. I've hated them for sure since then.

lakersuck2 likes this.