1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela's Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spankz141, Mar 9, 2016.

1. spankz141

spankz141 Member

With Howard most likely being a FA this off-season and possibly leaving, do you guys think Capela's ready to start?

He is only 21 years old! The last game against the Raptors, he played some great team defense down the stretch...and it's nothing new. He's shown flashes of being a great defensive player...he seems to be getting a better feeling for the game and did I mention...he is only 21! Hopefully in the offseason, he can improve his FT shooting and maybe add a mid-range jump shot.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When is his contract up?

If he is up this summer. . . I say lock him up for 5 years on a Corey brewer Contract

Rocket River

3. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I hope he can gain about 20lbs. If he can, he can be a legit starting center in the league. Would love to pair him with Al Horford.

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

The team has him locked up for another two seasons on the rookie scale contract and then he becomes an RFA (like Dmo and Tjones now).

He is the future 5 for our team imo and fits the new profile for center in this current NBA. The question in my mind is if he's ready next year to fill in that role. I don't think so but he's close. We might need to find another veteran center to fill the gap until he fills in.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

here, use this:

[​IMG]

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's alright so far. Needs to add some strength and hit free throws better. I see him with Tyson Chandler potential. The athleticism, finishing ability, and length are there. He just needs the defensive awareness.

7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I love Capela and would love to move forward with him. Howard is gone this summer no matter what IMO. Regardless of what happens and who we are able to sign, Capela should be this teams center for the next several years.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Capela right NOW would be a low end fill-in starter. You can go with him, but wont lift the team into contention. Like a Joel Anthony/Francisco Elson type who has All Stars around him and just does his role.

Capela LATER COULD be a very nice player. The things he needs to improve on are attainable if he puts in the time and work. He needs more weight/strength, then more defensive awareness and positioning. Plus improving his shooting touch.

Just experience and maturity alone can bring some of those improvements. He already has good shot blocking timing and finishing ability. Conditioning and strength will make it more consistent

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He was our 1st round pick in 2014.

#9 heypartner, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Miraculous things can happen for young players in year 3. So we'll see.

11. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

if he can develop a consistent midrange jumper like Speights for warriors, he would be an all star, need to work on offensive skills more

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

he can replace most of DH role on this team but he might be more of an injury prone

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

He has regressed badly this year.

The effort is there for the most part, but the team's woes have not escaped him.

14. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

If we land a line up of ?/Harden/Durant/Horford/Capela, he does not have to be a great player. Just use the time on the court to develop into a Chandler/Ibaka type defender. We wouldn't be looking for him to score 20ppg. We just need him to grab 18-20 rebounds and be an anchor to the defense.

Let the offense come develop and hopefully by the time he is a free agent, we have a star on both sides of the ball on our hands.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

as long as we have an equally productive center as backup yeah he can start.
    i'd rather have him split minutes with him getting the lower end, around 20mpg, but i dont mind either way.

16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

He's not ready to start IMO. If DH leaves, need to bring someone else in who can start with the view to building Capella's minutes. Possibly someone older on a favourable contract.

17. delishman

delishman Member

This is confusing to me.

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I always like a good backup center. I'm afraid we'll have Greg Smith as Capela's backup. Capela seems like a Dalembert-type high quality backup center - and I value that. Blocks, offensive rebounds, high FG%....

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Dwight's been getting beat on the boards a lot more lately and just his overall defense has been down tremendously.

If we can sign 2 max FA's like Morey says we can, Capella as a starting center would be excellent.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think his body is ready.