1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 NBA Draft/1-25] Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2014.

?

Do you like Houston's choice (draft-and-stash) of Clint Capela at the 25th pick?

1. YES

328 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I kind of think Morey drafted him just to trade him because of his "potential".

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well I'm ridiculously happy w the pick. First of all let's not lose perspective this is a 20+ pick and behind decent drafters like Mia and OKC I dunno what you guys were expecting but a guy with this much potential certainly isn't one of them. Secondly we're trying to make a run at a max FA a euro stash option is a good move. Third, he's not even a definite euro stash as he is right now he can already come in and play mins as a backup if we compare it to DMO I'd say he more advanced when DMo was 20.

Finally, I don't get the badiane references as they make no sense. There are lots of players with the Ibaka body type, Biedrins, Ekpe Udoh, Brendan Wright, Bismarck Biyombo etc. The diff is that most of these guys were picked purely on potential, Udoh for example didn't dominate in college yet GSW hope he would do better in the NBA. Same thing with Badiane as some people said he was in a leadue 2-3 times below the Euro league Cappella played in so if he didn't improve then obv he would suck in the NBA. With cappella though, his translated stats right now are good enough to be a backup in the NBA. Rebs are pretty much the most consistent stats from Europe to the nba so its no surprise pelton is high on him. Also a combination of rebs and high % is a really good sign to me, Euroleague has a lot of vets and skilled big men so you wont be able to just out jump and out dunk everyone, you need some knowledge of positioning and some good hand eye coordination to finish.Everything depends on his work ethic but IMHO he has all the tools to succeed. I think this might surpass the Parsons pick as the best draft under the Morey era :)

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why pigeonhole this pick to be just one thing? Can't the answer for why Morey made this pick be "all of the above"?

Capella seems like he can be anything Morey wants him to be. If the Rockets can get LeBron/Melo, then he's an Euro stash. If the Rockets don't get their guy, then we can sign him and start him in the DLeague. If the Rockets want to make a trade, then his position, age, and upside would be valuable on the market.

That's why I like the pick. It can serve all kinds of purpose and can provide value regardless of the Rockets direction next year.

4. Misigns

Misigns Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZBeNz47nXTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

21 pts (9-13), 9 reb, 7 as, 6 blocks, in 28 minutes in this game, hits a midrange jumper at the end.

1 person likes this.
  5. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

He is raw, but he has very good catch and very good instinct to the ball

6. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

This pick is growing on me... I can see the upside and the flexibility. It's nice to have a big man prospect with some potential... if he even develops into a quality defensive backup front court player (particularly if he can give quality minutes at C) I would be thrilled.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not that it's a major strike or anything, at least not from watching some of these videos, but I've seen this guy listed as having a 31.5" vertical. That doesn't seem very Ibaka-like.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I am A-OK with the CC pick. Only thing better would have been to be able to move up and steal Saric or Nurkic. Draft and stash is perfect for what we are trying to accomplish over the next couple weeks.

9. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Skill-wise, the Ibaka comparisons are a little off. Coming into the league, Ibaka had like a 40 something inch vert and was already a good midrange shooter. Capela is a bit more efficient around the hoop, and may be a better rebounder.

There are more physicial similarities. Both are 6'10-ish, weigh(ed) 220, and have a 7'5 wingspan. Ibaka looks to have put on 20 more pounds in the NBA though.

10. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

11. The83rdWonder

The83rdWonder Member

Loved this guy at the beginning of the draft process. Getting a projectable, productive big man with great physical attributes at 25 is about as value you can get in a pick. I believe that the Ibaka comparisons are overblown; sure they have approximately the same frame and block shots, but Ibaka is more of an athletic freak and a well developed mid-range game coming out of the ACB. Personally, I think the best comparison for Capela would be a less-crazy-no-thumbs-up Larry Sanders with a solid chance of reaching that upside if he's given a solid oppurtunity to develop.

Side note for some fun analytics: It's interesting to have seen Capela rate out as the best draft prospect by the guys from Wages of Wins. http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/articles/the-2014-draft-preview-part-3-the-deepest-draft
    Not that his rating system is infallible by any means, but it's a fun indicator of how effective Capela was at his age from a statistical point of view.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Jerome Moiso crossed with Bismack Byombo...

13. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

He isn't like Ibaka.

But who is he like? He's a good shoot blocker, rebounder and knows where his bread and butter is offensively (near the rim).

So who is a good comparison? Deandre? Tyson?

In terms of his measurements and athletic testing, who are bigs that he compares with?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Morey said working on plan for Capela timetable. Did mention&quot;right away.'</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/483648862112862208">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Morey said Capela will not play in the Orlando Summer League and that there is a chance he will play Vegas. His overseas contract is reason.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/483649571529449473">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/CapelaClint">@CapelaClint</a> says he wants to work on his post moves and midrange shot and get his game to be more physical.</p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/statuses/483650856869318656">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Clint Capela is holding the jersey #15 while Nick Johnson, as expected, is holding jersey #3 (Asik's number).</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/483651358403198978">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets draft picks Clint Capela and Nick Johnson holding their new Rockets jerseys alongside GM Daryl Morey. <a href="http://t.co/OJnLMJgOBI">pic.twitter.com/OJnLMJgOBI</a></p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/483652404911824897">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Eventually. His agent mentioned that he looks forward to that. MT <a href="https://twitter.com/BOBBYRYANTX">@BOBBYRYANTX</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> Is Dream going to be able to work w Capela?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/483654871954911232">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

#254 J.R., Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So he is probably coming over now. Good. I'd rather him be down in RGV than overseas if Morey really believes he has upside.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Capela's jumping (and only jumping) reminds me of Jamison. He is very quick off the floor.

17. newAge_Rockets

I really like Capela, I just think he needs one more season in the euro league. He's just so young and raw, I think where he is right now will help him progress as a prospect faster than if he was in the d league. You guys think that he is potentially our replacement for Jones? If Jones costs too much and we already have the contracts of Howard/Harden/another FA/ Parsons, Capela could back up Jones in 2015 and replace him in 2016.

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

His measurements are close to DWH except vertical, which many players improved upon training and elite athletes lose while being older.

He's not as strong right now, but has better handle and footwork(soccer player before).

Another comparison is longer Faried.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Whats the opinion now?

Ozzy likes this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CC's turning into a man before our very eyes.

MGC, RocketWalta, Ozzy and 2 others like this.