1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Climate Change] Winter Watch 2015-2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I didn't know where else to post this:
    [rQUOTEr]
    Bin Laden called for Americans to rise up over climate change

Osama bin Laden wrote a letter calling on the American people to help President Barack Obama fight "catastrophic" climate change and "save humanity", in the latest evidence of his worries about environmental issues, newly released documents show

...[/rQUOTEr]

2. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

The "pause" in the satellite data has ended.

[​IMG]

#102 Xenon, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Listen communist, I don't have a response now, usually I'll get an email very shortly after any Climate Change news hits with what I should say and how I should deny it but they are running behind today.

It should arrive soon though, and I guarantee you whatever you posted (didn't read) is complete bull****. I'll have some pie charts or a blog link soon, but like I said I haven't received my instructions yet.

Stop siding with terrorist also. If you believe in climate change you are a terrorist, plain and simple.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cold on the east coast.

[rQUOTEr]Climate data since Vikings cast doubt on more wet, dry extremes

Climate records back to Viking times show the 20th century was unexceptional for rainfall and droughts despite assumptions that global warming would trigger more wet and dry extremes, a study showed on Wednesday.

Stretching back 1,200 years, written accounts of climate and data from tree rings, ice cores and marine sediments in the northern hemisphere indicated that variations in the extremes in the 20th century were less than in some past centuries.

"Several other centuries show stronger and more widespread extremes," lead author Fredrik Ljungqvist of Stockholm University told Reuters of findings published in the journal Nature. "We can't say it's more extreme now."

Pinning down links between global warming and rainfall is vital to planning billion-dollar investments in everything from irrigation for food production to flood defenses along rivers.

Ljungqvist said many existing scientific models of climate change over-estimated assumptions that rising temperatures would make dry areas drier and wet areas wetter, with more extreme heatwaves, droughts, downpours and droughts.

...[/rQUOTEr]

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

^ That new Nature paper is interesting. Worth noting, from the link Reuters article:

"Ljungqvist said the findings did not mean current climate change, blamed on rising man-made greenhouse gas emissions, was less of a threat than thought.

"Absolutely not," he said, adding that the pace of warming had increased in recent years and that the 20th century was the warmest in the records.

"This paper adds to the growing evidence that the simple paradigm of 'wet-gets-wetter, dry-gets-drier' under a warming climate does not apply over land areas," said Ted Shepherd, a professor at the University of Reading.

James Renwick, of Victoria University of Wellington, said it was always hard to match century-long data with recent decades of warming.

"We know that human-induced climate change is already affecting the hydrological cycle", he wrote, with evidence such as recent drought in Syria that he said was the worst in 900 years."

Would be great if rainfall patterns will be affected less than some models predict. Would be a huge win for the planet actually. Won't stop sea level rise, more insect issues, and all those warm air results, but could be good news for global agriculture, etc.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I give you credit Rojo - you really do keep your head buried in the ground pretty well. Maybe you will never feel the world get warmer because it is cooler in the ground.

7. Cohete Rojo

I find your lack of evidence disturbing.

You claim I source my material from blogs: please cite.
    You claim I bury my head in the ground: please cite.

I can't tell you how many times I have stated this: according to the IPCC their projects, within their highest confidence interval, are 1-2° C increase and a 1' sea level increase from the beginning to the end of the 21st century.

Where is the source for the garbage that you are spewing?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Someone posts evidence on the "pause" ending (or never having existed) and you call them a communist!

Yeah, that's not disturbing at all! The cool ground around your head must feel good.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Focusing on Global Warming is a red herring. Earth has tons of proven history that show major periods of cold and hot that pre-date human activity by millennium. 56 million years ago the Artic was tropical. 600 million years ago there ice sheets reached the equator. Earth uses a geological stopwatch. Would you analyze your entire year by analyzing one second of it? Well this is even worse that that.

Fix the pollution of the air, ground, water, etc..., Save animals, habitats, etc... Provide real short term relief and solutions to all life on this planet. That is until the Earth or the Universe decides to destroy it like it has in the past several times over LOL.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not focusing on science is a red herring. Would you deny scientific study and evidence just because we know that the earth has warmer and cooler periods throughout its history even though the scientists knew that as well?

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No, I believe in science and evidence. I believe the planet is warming, but I don't think we have proof it's man-made. Especially considering the wild swings of the past before humans even existed. So you are already convinced it is man-made?

Also, there is plenty of science to focus on in taking care of the entire animal kingdom, all biospheres including rain forests, grasslands, etc... the air, land, water, etc... I love science and definitely think we should use it.

Which brings me back to my point. If we focus and fix what I'm proposing, you may well in fact fix man-made Global Warming if it exists. So yes, Global Warming is a red-herring, propaganda, a buzzword used to scare and sell. I don't like that.

Finally think of it another way. Let's say you want to stop smoking. You could say STOP SMOKING!!!, and scare yourself cold turkey. Rarely works if you don't make real life changes. So instead you could avoid the bars you normally visit. Avoid friends who smoke. Avoid the corner store you normally buy cigarettes from. Join a support group. Etc... Basically take real everyday action that will more than likely help the big picture regardless. Take little nibbles that satisfy, not bite off more than you can chew.

-edit-

With all of the Rockets craziness, I thought of a better example. Morey and Hinkie are trying to fix Global Warming to win a championship, when most of us fans just want to focus on key pieces that could lead to a championship anyway.

#111 ipaman, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  12. Cohete Rojo

Quit stalling. Where do I cite blogs? Where do I deny global warming?

Let's get a tip jar bet going on this, or stop posting your nonsense.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You deny that global warming is man-made.

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Honestly even if you believe there is a 0.01% chance that it is man made then you should do your best to try and combat it.

The stakes are too high, we're talking about the health of our planet. For our children, grandchildren and future generations.

Worst case scenario if it is not man made but we take steps to clean up the atmosphere, they'll enjoy the benefits of clear skies and lower pollution.

Best case scenario, save the planet.

Seems solid.

If you believe that there is a 0% chance that it is caused by actions of man then you are unreasonable and there is no point in discussing with you.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

exactly.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cite your source or shut up.

17. Cohete Rojo

According to the IPCC, their projection is 1-2°C and 1 foot of sea-level rise over the course of the 21st century. How or why is that worth combating?

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

why don't you tell us your current position then?

since you keep saying weather is the definition of climate with all your "it's cold today" threads, I am curious what you actually believe.

But if you want evidence, look no further than your attempt to discredit Global Warming by citing Bin Laden as being worried about it too.

#118 Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

quoted again for simply making sense for once in this section of the forum.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member