1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cleveland Cavaliers complete five player trade with Boston Celtics

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thejav, Sep 25, 2014.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

They probably don't care much about the cost, which is not really that higher, when they have the big stars. Average Joe wasted a few thousand dollars after winning the lottery...

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I understand that Felix may have been a disappointment (although maybe he just needed another year), but Powell was actually an asset. Also, second round picks (however low) provide added salary relief for tax-paying teams (which the Cavs will most certainly be after this season), since they count at their actual salaries (rather than the two-year vet minimum) for tax purposes. Plus, they can be used to draft-and-stash foreign prospects who might develop into quality rotation players. (Both Manu Ginobili and Luis Scola were taken at the very back end of the second round when drafted.)

As for "dropping below the luxury tax," the Cavs didn't need to make any of those trades to do that. They could have waived the non-guaranteed contracts at any time. This was clearly a PLAN to acquire that $5.3M TPE.

I'm sure Cleveland won't suffer much for this cost. I'm just saying that it seemed a bit high to me.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If there is a guy in the 2nd round a team covets, they can always purchase a pick during the draft (especially easy if it is a stash guy late in the 2nd round, seems like every year the Rockets buy one). I don't really view 2nd rounders as an asset.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Deal makes perfect sense now. Tax dump!

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oops. I r confused again! Lol.

If they could have avoided tax by waiving those contracts, then the whole thing seems strange again. If they don't use the Bogans TPE then they should have just waived him...

Oh well. Strange!