1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clemens on ESPN radio] Odds of returning next year not good

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Oct 22, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Straight from the horse's mouth.

He was on the Dan Patrick show today and they asked him about returning next season and he said "the odds are not good".

I get the feeling that he won't be back next year based on what he said next: He said that it was extremely important to have his HOF induction before his mother passed.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I'll believe it when i see it. He just needs to get away for a little while; its not a surprising answer considering its been less than 24 hours since Game 7.

Once a player retires don't they have to wait 5 years before they can be inducted into the Hall of Fame? My mom has had to evaluate his mother before and 5 years is an awful long time.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

he also expressed that concern last year.. so its not a new one...

if he wants to retire for that reason.. I very much respect that...

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He's 42, and has kids at home. He should definitely retire while on top of his game. He has a good chance at winning the Cy Young this year in his hometown. What better way to go out?

5. Tyree

Tyree Member

win game 7 and advance to world series :D

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I have a hard time believing that Clemens is going to go out after blowing the lead in Game 7 of the NLCS. He pitched a good game, but I don't think he wants that to be remembered as his final game. Of course, we all know he won't make a decision one way or the other before January or so...

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

He's gotta go. Just like Baqui said....let him go out while he's on top. We got Miller coming back into the rotation next year and he'll fit fine w/ Oswalt, Pettite, Backe, maybe a FA.

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

My guess is he'll be back.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd love him to stay but I totally respect his reason for leaving. I think it's safe to say he's paid his dues enough to do what ever he wants to at this point.

If we lose Clemens we still gain Miller and Pettite. We lose one and gain two. Pettite, Oswalt, Miller, Backe, Hernandez? is still a pretty solid starting rotation.

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Correction..we lose one we gain THREE...Miller, Pettite and Clemen's protege Backe...remember he wasn't even here at the beginning of the season.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Clemens retiring won't suddenly make Backe not a good prospect. He'll still be a part of the organization, not to mention that Pettitte and Oswalt are in the same mold as Clemens.

12. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

Agreed.

In fact, I would think Backe has earned a spot in the rotation after all of this.

Hell, who do we really have to fill that 4 spot (if clemen's retires) or the 5 spot (which would be filled by the likes of Redding, Hernandez, etc if Clemens came back).

Give the kid his shot.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Oswalt
    Petitte
    Miller
    Backe

Number 5 can be a tossup and see what we get in the free agency.

That looks pretty good to me honestly.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Any Chance of Clemens being on the Astros Staff?

HIS ATTITUDE more than anything was the difference on this team
    Say what ya want about the leadership of bags and Bigg
    CLEMENS brought a WINNING attitude about this team

Rocket River

15. fya

fya Member

Astros should go after Ben Sheets.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You wait...give it a few months and he will be getting excited based on what Drayton does to solidify the team for next season. That, and the prospect of playing with Pettitte another year. I say there are too many positives outweighing the negatives and I think he will come back when it comes down to it. I don't think he's ready to hang it up and still has that fire to pitch more. Plus, he did go out on a bad note and I don't think he wants to go out that way. He hasn't accomplished his goal for a World Series in Houston. But, if Drayton makes significant changes to the line-up and Roger doesn't have the same confidence in the line-up as the team that got us 1 game from the World Series, then he might not come back.

I don't think he can hang it up yet. I know he says he can and sometimes talks like it's time to hang it up. But, I think he had too much fun with this last run and in the playoffs. I think he wants to give it at least one more go and finish what he started...with Pettitte. Next year could be the best Astros season ever if it all comes together. Right now...this last season has that title.

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

How? He's not a free agent, and I highly doubt that the Brewers would even consider trading him unless someone gave up the farm.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It depends on when Sheets' contract year comes up. The Brewers are probably going to have to shell out a big percentage of their payroll to bring him back, so they probably will try to trade him when the time comes.

That being said, I doubt the 'Stros have the right prospects as of now to pull off a deal.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Carl Pavano would be a good choice too if Clemens retired.

Oswalt
    Pavano
    Andy P
    Miller
    Backe

20. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

The Astros are going to go after a top notch pitcher like Pavano or Sheets regardless of Roger Clemens status. Its most likely going to be Carlos Beltran or bust.