1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clearing something up: The Rockets didn't choose Lin over Dragic or Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 24, 2012.

1. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

maybe you got too much Natural Gas Fracking going on in Texas... messing with the brains down there...

:grin:

2. kozmo

kozmo Member

really the only thing thats keeping him from the top 5 is shooting...that will change...

3. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

because Morey probably knew from the get go.... that Dwight didnt want to sign with the Rox

I remember him even saying he would take Dwight even if he didnt want to come, or sign a multiyear contract...

how do you get a star player who dosent want to come with the players "you have already on the roster..."

tell him he can decide who comes to the team... and sign no one to longer than 3 year contracts...

Its not that hard to Understand why Morey has only given Harden a long term contract... while giving Lin and Asik 3 year term...

Harden is a type of impact player they were looking for,...

we can talk LIN DRAGIC LOWRY compare their stats for the rest of the year.... NONE of these guys would bring the ROX a chip this year... dosent matter how good they played...

4. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

btw if you are going to compare contracts... then do it right....you need to compare contracts offered...

at the time Dragic signed or agreed to sign with the Suns...

not the bumped up offer you offered to Lin to steal him from the Knicks...

July 5
    Suns have reached a verbal agreement on a four-year deal worth an estimated $34 million that Dragic has pledged to sign July 11, which is the first day contracts can be signed.

July 6
    Jeremy Lin has verbally agreed to sign a four-year offer sheet with the Houston Rockets on July 11, according to a source close to the talks.
    The four-year deal is worth $28.8 million, with $10.2 million coming in the first two seasons and over $9 million in each of the last two. The fourth season is a team option.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

At least Lin brings us more media visibility and the Asian market, but for basketball reasons, Dragic was more proven (3 seasons?) than Lin (25 games).

The best we can say in defense of Morey's policy not to give player options is that without Harden on the horizon, we still had no legit superstar. Morey was not going to jeopardize our capability to get two superstars on a PG like Dragic whom he likely saw as 2nd or maybe even 3rd tier only.

At least Morey was being consistent. Didn't McHale hit the roof when he found out the Rockets let Dragic go?

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Once again revenue sharing. The amount of people that bring this up don't understand the concept of revenue sharing in the NBA.

Goran Dragic 49 starts Jeremy Lin 38 starts. Neither has started for a full NBA season yet.

7. gregas

gregas Member

No they're not. Not in his case. All you manage to do is to absolutely assure everybody how bad a player option is, without providing a single piece of evidence.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Huh? That's not the difference? The only possible outcomes were 4 years or 3 years. 4 years would be bad for the team if Dragic didn't play up to it of course but as it stands you have a guy for 3 years, same money, who isn't playing up to it.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

You are right. About 11/246 games & Lin has yet to play up to his 25 million dollar contract. Off with his head.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Just clearing something up:

In one off-season, the Rockets let Lowry and Dragic go, and acquired Jeremy Lin for a notable amount of money. They Rockets chose Lin over Lowry and Dragic. Because of one off-season, we fans have Lin running our team instead of Lowry or Dragic. It is what it is.

11. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

also, keep in mind that Lin's offer was something that Les wanted regardless of Dragic. Morey expected the offer sheet to be matched. I agree that Lin's signing was independent of Dragic because the of the expectation that the offer would be matched. Houston was in a sense trying to strap the Knicks financially. We were the team to do it because we had the extra cap space. Other teams wouldn't give Lin the offer because they would tie up their cap space. Ultimately the move was a Hail Mary but had an underlining motive behind it.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not Lin's fault they put that pressure on him. This has nothing to do with Lin really. It has to do with knowing what you had in Dragic and pissing it away for nothing over a one year option. This is Dragic's SIXTH YEAR in the league to Lin's SIX MONTHS. All of this stuff comparing Dragic's starts to Lin's is ridiculous. Dragic played behind Steve Nash and Kyle Lowry. Lin beat out Tony Douglas and Scott Machado.

13. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Uh, NO!

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

I think you are revising history a lot it is actually quite funny. Wasn't Dragic traded out of Pheonix for a reason because he wasn't playing well. And even when Dragic was backing up Lowry he was really inconsistent. How many leads did Dragic blow when Lowry would sit for a break? Just a thought.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Don't think Morey really cared about how our roster looked this summer as much as we wanted to acquire assets. Dragic with a player option was not an asset. Morey said a contract becomes untradeable with the option. He also said you can't turn down a guaranteed lottery pick. He just got lucky that NY didn't match.

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Overall, nope. Lin played better than Dragic for about a week, and it wasn't like Dragic wasn't killing it then. Lin's play dropped while Dragic sustained a high level.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I find it annoying that there are so many posters and, dare I say, LOF that run to his defense after all of his bad games. I think it's offensive to him.

When he has a bad game and people criticize his performance, that's fair game.

Just like when our other guards had bad games, we criticized it. It's no different.

However, I think that there are so many fans that so desperately want Jeremy to put up Kobe numbers that they refuse to acknowledge the evidences which shows that his play up to this point has been mediocre.

It's only hate if it's about his ethnicity, but to place heavy scrutiny on him is fine. He may be injured, but he is not living up to the expectations from management and the fans. (In my opinion)

I like Jeremy, but do I think we would be better off as a team with Lowry or Dragic in the backcourt? Yes, I do.

Dragic/Lowry would have immediately gelled with James because of their experience. Let's be honest--Jeremy is lacking games. He doesn't adjust as quickly as someone who has played longer and with more offenses.

I don't think Rockets fans hate Lin at all. I think it's the opposite. We want him to succeed, but we're not going to be delusional like his individual fans and defend him every time he messed up.

I think he has a great deal of potential. Is he the answer at the point? No. Is he average or above when he's 100%? Probably.

....And I still don't like how the Rockets treated Lowry. :pMcHale got his way with that one. Kyle knew better than his simple-minded offense, and McHale didn't want any player questioning him. So, in a sense, J-Lin is perfect. He's essentially a rookie, and he'll do whatever Kevin asks.

To the OP, I will have to disagree with you. The Rockets would have chosen almost anyone over Dragic or Lowry. Lin happened to be the guy. Dragic wanted too much money and Kevin couldn't handle KLow.

I just wish Morey could find a consistent big to put at the 4...then, Jeremy wouldn't be focused on as much.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

No not really it would probably be wise to compare the full sample as it is small, as opposed to taking an even smaller sample of an already small sample to prove a point. They were playing at similar levels for pretty much the entire stretch. Both played very well.

"Last season, Dragic performed at a higher level in his age-25 season than he had in his first three years in the league. His assist percentage of 32.5 was a solid one. His turnoever rate of 18.7 was quite good. And his shooting of 46 percent overall, 34 percent from three-point range, and 80 percent when he got to the line helped keep defenses honest. He started 28 games, with a total of 36 starts to his credit in his career.

Most of those numbers pale in comparison to Lin's. His assist percentage, the most important job a point guard has, blows away Dragic's, checking in at 41 percent. His turnover rate was a bit higher, at 21.4 percent, but not nearly enough to even things out. And Lin's shooting was comparable (45 percent overall, 32 percent from three, 80 percent from the line) while he took an additional three shots every 36 minutes."

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/artic...ns-new-contract-bargain-goran-dragic-standard

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Three year contracts for both Lin and Asik plus refusing to give Gogi a 4th year player option has me asking......

What is Marey planning for the summer of 2015? And did signing Harden change his plans for that summer? We may never know. :p

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Dragic should be blamed for negotiating according to his best interests? Stupid.

The Rockets knew they were not contending this year, so they did not care to spend extra to retain Dragic. Instead, they went and pulled a marketing stunt to generate some revenue for Les.