1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Classical Music

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigBenito, Sep 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

What should I buy/listen to? What will throw me down a flight of stairs?

Thanks!

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Frédéric Chopin. It's my i hate the world music. :)

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"I agree. You know... Frederic F**kin' Chopin?"

Sincerely,
    [​IMG] :eek:

4. van chief

van chief Member

Ravel, Bartok, Tchaikovsky, Schubert

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

"Classical" covers a LOT of territory. We're talking about HUNDREDS of years of music that people classify as "classical". But here are some of my favorite not-quite-household-names from the many periods people lump together as "classical":

Franz Liszt
    Carl Orff
    Gustav Mahler
    Louis Berlioz
    Gioachino Rossini
    Frédéric Chopin
    Emmanuel Chabrier
    Francis Poulenc

6. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Dvorak is a good one to listen to
    Schubert
    Cage (This is modern Classical music)
    Faure
    Copland
    Debussy
    Ravel

Those guys are awesome in my book.

And BetterThanI is right...there are distinct periods that music scholars split "classical music" into.

Medieval
    Renaissance
    Baroque
    Classic
    Romantic
    20th/21st Century

For the most part, when people are talking about classical music they are talking about the baroque (Bach, Handel), Classic (Mozart, Haydn) and Romantic (Beethoven, Debussy) peroids.

Sorry...this is probably more than you wanted to know, but if you want to get into classical music, you might as well know it. :)

And just for you general info, the romantic period is my favorite. This tends to have more feeling (imo) than the other periods. Classic is very cut and dry (other than Mozart) and Baroque is more cut into molds. Romantic, composers are finally branching out and doing more with their music.

7. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Mussorgsky.

The "Great Gate of Kiev" still gives me chills.

8. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

One more thing, if you are looking into something that will give you a slow intro into classical music mixed with a bit of humor these two will make you laugh and throw in a bit of music with it.

Victor Borge and PDQ Bach.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If you're new to Classical Music, start with Mozart and Beethoven. Chances are you've heard enough snippets from movies and cartoons and ads for it to be a little familiar. After you get comfortable, start branching out.

(It may be a cliche, but I don't care... Beethoven's 9th is the greatest piece of music ever written.)

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KZ4ZNbiO15M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KZ4ZNbiO15M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dudley Moore also had a fun Beethoven parody:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GazlqD4mLvw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GazlqD4mLvw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

agree. easily the best

i love moonlight sonata too. the first movement alone is incredible, but the third movement is probably the most intense thing i've ever heard

13. durvasa

I'd also recommend watching Amadeus (about Mozart, I think it won the Oscar for best movie in 1984 or something), if you haven't before.

14. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I just wanted to drop off this Chinese balm for your burns. It's supposed to be great stuff. It's all herbal.

15. durvasa

Another recommendation: listen to Exploring Music on NPR. It's on 88.7, 7-8pm in Houston, but I think you can listen to it online also.

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I appreciate it. There is certainly a lot to chew for the time being, but feel free to make more suggestions; I'll be bookmarking this page for easy access.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Personal favorites:

Johann Sebastian Bach
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Petr I. Tchaikovsky
    Modest Mussorgsky
    Antonin Dvorak
    Claude Debussy

And for even more "out-there":

Gyorgy Ligeti
    Krzyzstof Penderecki

18. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

If you are new to classical music you should probably start with stuff that you've probably heard before (i.e. movies, etc...). Then when you find a composer you like, try some more stuff by that guy.

My suggestions:

Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
    Mozart - Symphony No. 29 in A Major
    Mozart - Symphony No. 40 in G Minor
    Mozart - Overture to the Marriage of Figaro
    Pachelbel - Canon in D
    Bach - Brandenburg Concertos
    Beethoven - Symphony No. 5
    Beethoven - Symphony No. 9
    Handel - Water Music Suite
    Vivaldi - The Four Seasons

More suggestions:
    Holst - The Planets (John Williams based his Stormtrooper music off the Mars section and Jupiter is used at graduations all over the country)
    Copeland - Appalachian Spring Suite (The melody in the middle called "Simple Gifts [or "A Gift to Be Simple" depending on what you read] is also a very famous)
    Ravel - Bolero (used in the movie "10")
    Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra (One of the most famous intros in classical music [next to Beethoven's 5th]. It is used in the movie 2001 - a Space Odyssey, however, the rest of the piece is probably not familiar at all)
    Borodin - Music from Prince Igor (specifically Polovetsian Dances)
    Stavinsky - Firebird Suite
    Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture (You probably won't know the first 10 minutes but you will most certainly now the last five...)
    Orff - Carmina Burana - Often used in movies when satanic rituals are going on.

Some other food for thought.... you might want to get a book or take a class in music appreciation that is oriented towards classical music. I say this because most things become more enjoyable when you know something about them. Since you didn't grow up listening to classical music there is probably a lot of information that you just don't realized. For example, (and I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post), there are different "types" of classical music defined by the time when the pieces were written. So, just like rock music (or jazz) has changed over the years and most people can recognized, say a song from the 50's as being from the 50's or a song from the 90's as being from the '90's, many classical music fans can recognized pieces that came from the Classical Period or the Baroque Period, Rococo, Renaissance, etc.... Also, why the pieces were written can be interesting. Knowing whether it was just dance music they were hired to write or some grand political or religious statement can make listening to the piece more interesting.