1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Civil War Cinema] Matthew McConaughey & Gugu Mbatha-Raw's 'Free State of Jones'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 10, 2016.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Based on a true story which I've been told is really fascinating https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Knight...but I'm a Millennial and Civil War history is soooo boring. Looks ok. Will wait for screener to leak and watch it on meh iPad.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3EMkxEKKSQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Imagine if the South had won.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

trailer gives too much of the plot away

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw an ad during the Texans' game and thought it was Christian Bale not McConaughey.

I had never heard of Jones County or Newton Knight so I thought the story was more like Cold Mountain about Confederate deserters returning home to set things right. Read the Wikipedia link and a much more interesting story.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

The movie hasn't even come out yet. Jesus.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, there is pretty much nothing left to spoil.
    If you want to know how the story ends, ask yourself why you've never heard of the Free State of Jones.

I find the civil war so overdone and tedious, so I guess I'm not the target audience. Good role for M.M. though and it could have some morally uplifting scenes (at least until you consider how much the main topics are still relevant to our national discourse, sigh).

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Looks low budget.

9. nono

nono Member

US history has never fascinated me to be honest. It was a huge chore when I had to study it at UT. But this seems interesting. Too bad though as mentioned above they've revealed too much of the plot. I'll probably still watch it when it comes out.

10. Buck Turgidson

Your mom is low budget.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'll only watch if this movie is as good as The Patriot.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

https://youtu.be/Sn7Z6b9KxdE?t=1h11m20s

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sn7Z6b9KxdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start 1h11m20s. South gonna do it again...