1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Citizens United will destroy America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, May 30, 2012.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I really, really need to understand this.

The FEC, in Citizens United, argued that they could theoretically ban books which called for Obama's defeat or victory. They could theoretically ban movies, television shows, newspapers, ANYTHING that could have electioneering content. They could have thrown the leaders of a political organization into jail for showing a movie.

Do you sincerely not find anything wrong with this?

So if a judge serves 17 years, that's fine. But if he serves 25, that's not fine.

Care to explain?

If the Supreme Court is not allowed to nullify an unconstitutional law passed by Congress, then who is?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What i find wrong is that none of this is actually true. You're taking one snippet if oral argument out of context and completely misunderstanding the issues at stake and have a very tenuous grasp of the facts.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

John McCain reminds me of Joe Biden sometimes.

crazy old coot

John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever' ... 'Money Is Money,' Not Free Speech

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) continued his harsh criticism of the Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling this week, calling it the bench's "worst decision ever."

“They said money is free speech. Since when is money free speech?” McCain asked a crowd at an event put on by the Oxford Union at the University of Oxford, according to the Oxonian Globalist. “Money is money.”

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

posted by the altar boy for the high priest obama of the church of the first $1B campaign.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somebody misses the point. The only question is, if it was intentional or if you really just don't get it.

6. mc mark

It's about country. Only when it isn't

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Fell free to lob those stones once the guy you support stops taking shelter in that glass house.

8. jocar

jocar Member

The gov is turning into ebay, not sure how far this will go, but it doesn't hurt to sign the petition...

http://getmoneyout.com/

9. mc mark

I know you are smart enough to understand the environment candidates have to play in these days and I know you are smart enough to know the reasons why. The president has broke records with small donor donations which is the bedrock of his campaign. His fundraising apparatus is completely different than billionaires and corporations donating millions at a time without transparency.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I know you are smart enough to know that insurance companies and oil companies play both sides of the aisle to cover their interests. I also know that you are smart enough to know that the labor unions contribute more than a few bucks.

The big special interests haven't gotten as large as they are by putting all of their financial eggs in one political basket.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Just create a TV channel like other corporations (GE, Viacom, Disney, Newscorp) do.

You can spend as much as you like on that speech, even though the difference is only semantic. That money is all good.

But producing commercials, that will DESTROY DEMOCRACY

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

It's much easier to avoid an entire channel.