1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema Awards] 88th Academy Award Nominations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 14, 2016.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

So the guy who did Anchorman is now an Academy Award nominee. DAFUQ!

Charlieze and Ridley might be the biggest omissions.

The Revenanat got the most noms. Probably because they hired every Awards season campaign firm in Hollywood.

I've not seen Room but it got quite a few biggies. Guess I'll check it out.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I could actually see Mark Ruffalo winning best supporting actor for Spotlight. That was a fantastic movie.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Leo has as good a chance as any to finally make it happen.

4. Buck Turgidson

Is it just me or was Bridge of Spies an incredibly "meh" forgettable movie?

5. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Best Cinematography category is stacked, so glad Deakins got the nod for Sicario

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't quite get it. The Revenant was well reviewed, but not really universally praised. Got like 81% on RT and 77% on metacritic.

Makes me think the Academy is just all-systems-go for Leo, and are either consciously or subconsciously inflating it a bit.

That being said, I hope to see it this weekend and am pretty sure I will love it. Just odd that the Academy seems to have a pretty big divergence from the general critical consensus, which is something that happens more for the Golden Globes than it does for the Oscars.

#6 DCkid, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My guesses...

Best Picture: Spotlight
    Best Actor: DiCaprio
    Best Actress: Brie Larson
    Best Director: Inarritu
    Best Supporting: Christian Bale and Rooney Mara

I hated it, personally. Spielberg/Tom Hanks movies always get a lot of acclaim but this one I did not get at all. Obviously in the minority on that one, though.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

no one cares as much as they do - grevais

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Christian Bale or Sly winning best supporting actor.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Of all those movies, here's a list of the ones that I've seen:

Mad Max: Fury Road
    I do want to eventually see The Martian, The Revenant, and The Hateful Eight.

I would watch Spotlight and Joy if they came on and I was near. Maybe The Big Short too, though I am bothered by the hair in that film.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Leo finally thinks he's got it in the bag and then Redmayne has to go and play a transgender. Poor Leo.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Random thoughts:

Leo and Sly are locks for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor respectively.

Best Actress is probably Larson(and well deserved), but Blanchett has a decent shot and Rampling in the dreadful 45 Years is a dark horse.

Best Supporting Actress is a bunch of bullcrap. Mara and Vikander were lead actresses in their respective movies. Vikander should've gotten a supporting nod for Ex Machina instead. She might've even won for that. This one's a tossup.

Furious 7 got snubbed big time for Best Original Song. I didn't care much for the movie, but the ending was universally praised and a big reason was because of See You Again. Now that POS Bond song will probably win.

Poor Sir Ridley. Snubbed for Best Director and he might've had a decent shot at winning.

Major props for all the nominations for Room! That is an amazing and heartbreaking movie(albeit with a hopeful ending). I want it to win in every category it's nominated including Best Picture, but it'll probably only get Best Actress.

Best Picture is likely down to The Revenant and Spotlight with Mad Max being the dark horse. If I had to choose between those three, Spotlight was my favorite. As much as I thought Mad Max was merely ok and incredibly overrated by critics, it would be cool to see an R-rated sci-fi action flick win Best Picture.

BTW, I am no affirmative action quota seeking social justice warrior, but I'm stunned the Academy nominated all white actors again. They could've given Best Actor nods to Will Smith or Michael B. Jordan or Best Supporting Actor nods to Idris Elba or Benicio Del Toro(he was absolutely snubbed for Sicario). And they could've easily handed a Best Picture nod to Straight Outta Compton since the category allows up to 10 nominees and they only had 8 this year. And no, the Best Screenplay nod doesn't help much since the nominated writers are white.

Oh well, at least Chris Rock will have a field day with that as host.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I admit to only seeing two of these flicks, but Mad Max was hands down the best movie I saw all year. Sublime and probably in my top 10 all time. I found The Martian to be pedestrian; admittedly because I read the book and didn't see Damon in the role (my vote was for Chris Pratt). I need to watch the rest.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Apparently everyone who has read the book was disappointed at least to some extent by the film. I rarely read fiction so I enjoyed it for what it was.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Big Short and Spotlight were amazing under the radar movies, they deserve all the nominations, although I thought Steve Carell should've been nominated

I agree with Bridges of Spies, better than I expected, thought I was going to snooze through it, but didn't think it was Oscar worthy....

Kind of surprise with all The Martian nominations, I thought the academy would see it as another Interstellar

Really happy for Brie Larson, she's come a long way from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and loved her mute role in Don Jon, definite hottie who can act

Fwiw, Tom McCarthy (Spotlight) directed straight to VOD Adam Sandler/Dustin Hoffman Drama Indie "The Cobbler" that was universally panned, but I enjoyed the hell out of it, give it a shot on Netflix

EDIT: Forgot to add that Jason Segal didn't get any Golden Globe or Oscar nod for his performance in "The End of the Tour", he was well deserving with that role

#15 Dave2000, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I really don't think this is the classic case of fanboy hate. The main character in the book was fantastic and the right actor could have portrayed him perfectly. I'm not knocking the movie for changing items from the book as it generally went along the same lines. Damon was just flat, IMO.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not me. I read the book and enjoyed the movie. It's a very faithful adaptation aside from the tacked on ending on Earth and the omission of the rover tipping over as he rides to the MAV to leave Mars. And I was definitely not down with the casting of Damon initially. He seemed too old and not skilled enough at comedy(I pictured someone like Jake Gyllenhaal), but he wound up nailing that role.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'll agree with you on "Mad Max". My wife and I watched, thank God, in the theater, on a big-ass screen. The first 45 minutes we were like, "Okay, loud, high-grade action movie, semi-shrug." But then you start getting a bit of the characters, and the action just keeps mounting and mounting.

At the end I turned to my wife and said, "That was ****ing insane."

And she with her big wide eyes: "Wow......a gente tem que assistir este filme de novo no cinema." We have to see this movie again at the cinema. And she almost NEVER wants to see a movie twice at the theater.

"The Martian" I really liked, actually. Too bad for Ridley Scott. Still turning out great movies (actually, a return to form after a brief downturn) and didn't score a nomination.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You want to talk snubs?

No nominations for Beasts of no Nation or just Idris Elba or the young boy Abraham.
    No nominations for Concussion or just Will Smith for his role.
    No nominations for Ryan Coogler of Creed or Michael B Jordan for his role.

Ex Machina deserved more than just one nod and as someone noted, possibly Vikander should have received a nod for that.

The Martian was at best a decent movie and not truly memorable but up for Best picture? Over any of the four movies mentioned above? Heck no.

Another great year of nominations by the Academy.

20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I guess I need to see The Revenant. I'm happy if Leo finally gets his Oscar but I hate how the Academy just decides its time for someone to get an Oscar instead of on their recent work