1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cinco Ranch HS snobs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Smokey, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

File this under why is this news? category.

---

High school article causing stir
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 | 5:47 PM

KATY, TX (KTRK) -- Some local high school students are getting a lesson on the power of the pen. An article written in a high school paper has tempers flaring and the school newspaper now sending out an apology.

The article is causing quite a stir west of Houston, where residents in several communities are voicing their outrage. Taylor High School senior Tatinana Corey doesn't make a habit of reading Cinco Ranch's campus paper, and a recent editorial makes her wish she never did.

"They knew that we'd read it and probably get mad about it, because it wasn't that funny," she said. "We don't really like Cinco. They apparently don't like us, either."

The article appeared earlier this month. And in it, the authors write about Cinco Ranch territory, asking why kids and parents from neighboring schools frequent their hangouts, like Mission Burrito, Starbucks, Sonic, Chick-fil-a and even SuperTarget, and writing that '...you can't help but be a little bit angry when you're stuck in the Whataburger drive thru behind an unimaginably large caravan of Katy cars..." and "...don't they have their own places to go?" It also expresses a "sense of ownership" to the neighboring businesses and restaurants.

All students with whom we talked admit there are strong rivalries among Katy area high schools, but Jason Cromeans, who is a Cinco Ranch senior says he knows one of the article's authors and is sure the editorial was harmless.
    "I didn't think it was that big a deal," he said. "If you take it seriously, that's kinda, I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. It just got blown way out of proportion."

But it's serious enough that the paper has now issued an apology, contending the editorial was a satire. Seven Lakes senior Kristen Jaffurs didn't see the humor.

"I don't think anyone found it funny and I honestly don't think it was completely a joke because they wouldn't write it if it wasn't true," she said.
    The apology from Cinco Ranch says the article "caused a great deal of pain and anguish in the Katy community. The staff of the County Line wishes to offer a sincere apology to all students, parents and district employees who found statements made in the article to be offensive."

It goes on to say the article was satirical and meant to mock the attitudes that create division and conflict in our community.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6680837

---

I don't know why anyone cares if it was serious.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Who the hell hangs out at SuperTarget?

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

4. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Cinco Ranch kids, apparently

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Bragging about eating a $2 jumbo hot dog at your Super Target isn't elitist, it's dumb.

6. Landlord Landry

wow, I see a major fight breaking out over this "territory".........

[​IMG]

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They aren't real writers. You don't get all whiney if you get a bad haircut at a haircut school.

8. TheBigAristotle

all i'm sayin is this ain't a movie, i'm not an actor. don't mistake the uzi for a coupa pack of firecrackers.

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

wtf? does this all mean

i mean seriously

WTF?

10. g1184

g1184 Member

aaahhh ... good ol' cinco. oh how i don't really miss you at all ...

p.s. stop posting threads in my hangout.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I beg to differ.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]

12. danny317

danny317 Member

WESSSIDE!!! THUGLIFE!!!

13. droxford

droxford Member

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

lol.

That's funny because I can dimly remember a time stuff like that would have been important to me. Now, they just seem like children talking about very idiotic stuff.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

"Dude, this place is whack. I'll meet you in the Housewares dept and we'll kick some ass."

16. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

It's going to turn into a preppy upper-middle class gang war soon over territories.

"Caaaaaaaannnnnnn yoooooooouuuuuuu diiiiiiiiigggggggg iiiiiiiitttttt?"

17. rage

rage Member

What does the article say? Is the full text out there somewhere?

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

"Do these SOBs really think they are going to take *our* Mission Burrito without a fight?!"