1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CIA: Russia manipulated the election to install Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

2. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Putin won this round. Very well played. I wonder how surprised he is to see Americans circling the wagons to protect him? Could he have predicted the sudden embrace by partisans?

Can't make this stuff up.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

All out accusations of Nazi tactics.

So now you are either a Russian stooge or a Nazi.

Whose side you got?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great article. It's why I said initially that it was uncorroborated and shouldn't be held up as news without any sort of confirmation.

It's also why the MSM is stating that it is unverified.

What happened here is media bias. But it isn't media bias against Trump. It's the media bias that exists on both sides. The media wants the following.

1. To get a scoop.
    2. To not be scooped and miss reporting the next big story
    3. To gain big headlines/ratings/advertising/money.
    4. To appear impartial

Those are the things the media cares about far more than right or left. In this case buzzfeed put out this unverified report and it garnered internet attention. Media outlets started worrying about #s 1 and 2, so they started putting into their broadcasts with a bit about the reports not being verified. But god forbid they miss out on the next big story, so they jumped on it and pushed it out there.

It's the same kind of crap about Palin saying she could see Russia from her porch or Al Gore saying he invented the internet. Neither of those were actually true but they both became accepted because once the story got out, no media outlet wanted to look like they missed a huge story, and so those stories were spread and eventually were cemented as true amongst much of the public.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I think Trump is more coy than people give him credit for. Here was his take on a cease-fire deal that occurred three weeks before the third debate. Nuance.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I corrected your order there. :p

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The entire premise of that article is based on a notion that our intelligence community is most definitely diametrically opposed the American people's interests hence 'why we shouldn't trust them'.

Anyways I never had much respect for Greenwald well before Trump. He blames everything on the US and falls victim to the bigotry of low expectations. I don't trust him.

We get it Glen Greenwald. You have a personal vendetta against the entirety of our intelligence community. I bet you also have enough hubris to believe that you've done more for the American people than the entirety of all our intelligence agencies.

#1072 fchowd0311, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If you look at the history of our intelligence community then it does become hard to give them trust. I don't understand why anyone would put blind faith or any faith in them.

I know these groups have amazing abilities, but I don't truly know what they have accomplished for the American public. I'm very open to reading about it if you have anything for me to check out.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You honeslty believe the intelligence community has never prevented harm to this nation?

No one is saying the intelligence community is anywhere close to infallible.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

As you know, I applaud skepticism. My only question is this: why would so many different parts of our intelligence apparatus collaborate on a made-up narrative to attack Trump, when they aren't especially known to play nice with one another? They don't, on the whole, love Obama, and some of them actively hate HR Clinton.

Either (1) there is merit to the reports about Russia's behavior (which could explain the behavior of the intelligence community), or (2) there is some dire/odious/unfathomable reason why they are collaborating in falsehoods against the newly elected president.

What are the other options, because it definitely ain't "because Obama is their boss," LOL.

Truth will out, as they say, whether any of us believe in truth by that point or not. There are just too many people looking into Trump now. I wouldn't be surprise if his tax returns, for one, start trickling out the day after his inauguration. Too many people have had access to his tax returns. And if he owes money in Russia, for example, that won't be too terribly difficult to find out either.

JeffB likes this.
  15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Have to wait for something to actually come out, with a source.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The CIA was created after WWII. Not too long after we began our amazing escapades around the world overthrowing people and getting into a lot of crazy fights in places very far away due to some very flawed world views. Currently, our very flawed world view is the vague "War on Terror" and the vague Russia threat seems to be quickly rising as another one. The "war on drugs" seems to have finally faded. We are always fighting something lol. Looking back there seems to be a lot of chaos that has been created by the actions of these groups. It's hard for me to see them as a net positive based on their history. They probably have done excellent things along the way. I just don't know what the major highlights are. I'm very open to reading about them.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

https://fas.org/irp/offdocs/int022.html

Above is by far from complete, but is a quick outline of the history of our intel community, all the way back to Washington through Clinton. Their functions have been essential in our history. But as with any agencies, it's not perfect, there are scandals, but overall, I don't see that we should be automatically not trusting of our intel community. Be critical, be careful, question them... yes, absolutely. And we depend on our press, our congress and yes, whistle blowers to keep a critical eye on our intel agencies, given their secrecy and power. And we also depend on our government to continue to try to overhaul when we see issues and improve intel agencies and oversight of them.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Connor Kilpatrick ☃️ Verified account ‏@ckilpatrick Jan 6

Clinton campaign conference call HILLARY: should I make a stop in Wisconsin?

VOICE: nyet

HILLARY: what??

VOICE: uh, i mean "no"

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Hillary only lost because of Russian infiltration.

[​IMG]