1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes not signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 27, 2015.

1. spark06

spark06 Member

I never said he can't coach defense. He will make a great coach. But as a player on our roster? No thanks. An obvious consumate professional who is more suited for an office job at this point in his career. If what he brought to the table was REALLY worth the roster spot and jeapordizing the Harrelll situation, it'd be a done deal. Obviously Morey thinks it's not worth it, given the situation. Nor do I.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, I think they keep him on the roster and have him in RGV so they keep his rights. It really comes down to Harrell over Chuck, but the open roster spot is Wood's to lose.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If you want us to learn you should provide us with the information. Please compare and contrast the terms.

4. basketballholic

Can't disagree. We're the same person, remember? :rolleyes:

I think you're dead wrong. Woods is a waste of a roster spot at this point. He can't play a lick of defense even at the Summer League level. It's blatently obvious to me he's a project.

There's a reason why we agreed with Hayes and then backed out. Morey doesn't operate that way. The agreement is still there. Morey just informed Hayes and his agent that he can't do it right now. Because he's got something else cooking. There's no way Morey rescinds on an agreement. He's still willing to pay Chuck a partially guaranteed minimum salary for 2015-16. He's simply let them know that he can't do it until a later date to give them the opportunity to sign elsewhere if they want to do that. But they agreed to a partially guaranteed minimum salary. Morey doesn't relent on his agreements. He's very, very fair to players with his promises. He's simply giving Hayes the opportunity to go elsewhere and get a fully guaranteed deal if Hayes wants to do that. Because he can't sign Hayes right now until the situation with Harrell/DMo/Jones plays through.

Remember, DMo and Jones are extension-eligible. Extension negotiations could become a part of a possible trade package for one of them (most likely Jones).

1 person likes this.
  5. basketballholic

Morey offered Hayes a partially guaranteed minimum salary deal and Hayes agreed to it. No way does Morey now think Hayes is "not worth it" as a player when nothing has happened to Chuck between the time they agreed and today. Faulty logic on your part. Morey thinks he's worth a partially guaranteed contract and he's willing to give him the money. He simply can't give Hayes that contract today until other things process. So Hayes has put himself back on the market in hopes of getting a fully guaranteed deal and a little bit better situation for himself. But no way would Morey agree to give a player money and then cancel the agreement.

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I hold out hope this is true... I'd like to see chuck in training camp though :(

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think they became uncomfortable with Hayes taking up a roster spot and that's why they offered him a coaching gig, they'd like to have him around, but not taking up a valuable roster spot. They still have to figure out what to do with Harrell and I think they were worried about being up against what will probably be a hard cap.

8. spark06

spark06 Member

Morey CANT sign Chuck Hayes or WONT sign Chuck Hayes? Pick one side of the fence. Talk about flawed logic. If we wanted Chuck now, we could have Chuck now. Morey has other things in mind and thankfully so!

9. spark06

spark06 Member

Instead of the thread title being "Chuck Hayes not signing with Rockets" it should be "Rockets not signing Chuck Hayes". We hold the cards, not Chuck.

10. basketballholic

Won't. Morey could sign him but it would eliminate some options he has at his disposal right now. So he won't sign Hayes right now. Doesn't mean he won't sign Hayes later if Hayes is still there...even as soon as Oct. 28th.

11. spark06

spark06 Member

:grin: Glad I could knock some sense into ya.

12. basketballholic

Oh. Thanks. So you do agree Hayes could still wind up on the 15 man roster.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am unhappy to hear of this. Chuck's veteran experience and defense could have been very valuable for us. The Rockets should not have backed out on their verbal commitment to him.

14. spark06

spark06 Member

Kevin Garnett said it best......"ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEEEEE!"

I think Chuck Hayes is as likely to wind up mentoring a 15 man roster as he is to play on one.

15. PJ86

PJ86 Member

So we almost lost out on Terry and Hayes, because of this Harrell guy?

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I saw Chuck Hayes in Sugarland about a month ago. He put on a good amount of fat then.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Sure, or you can go to the other end of the spectrum and pay post-Achilles Wes Matthews $17 million.

I agree that I don't like backing out of deals......my guess is we gave Hayes some kind of indication this was possible when they verbally agreed.

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

So who's gonna guard Blake Griffin and Aldridge when Dwight is in foul trouble ?

19. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

It probably came down to Harrell and Hayes

Why sign a older dude like Hayes for "veteran leadership" vs. Harrell, who from summer league, seems like he could develope into a good player.

If Dwight or Capella get injured Dmo can easily be center and give Harrell playing time

I think morey is trying to set up a long term team and don't swapping every player in the league. After next FA if we land a big name I think we will try to solidify our team for the next 5-10 years

Harrell, Capella, McDaniels, jones are mostly under 25 and a couple 21yr. They could all become really good quality role players for the next decade. When including Bev,Thornton,Dmo, and brewer coming off the bench we are set(especially if we get KD...,)

We need to pull a Spurs and have this team for the next 5 years

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I saw him at the Galleria a couple hours ago and talked with him. He seemed disappointed. Very nice guy.