1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes finally getting some love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jul 7, 2006.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4030154.html

Chuck Hayes is a flat out winner. Good things just happen when he's on the court.

2. akuma

akuma Member

3. dream2franchise

Here's hoping Chuck can get some consistant, quality minutes during the season.

If he only had an 18ft Jump Shot......

4. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Chuck Hayes MIP
    Steve Novak ROY

:p

5. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

He's definetly the banger that we need...only wish he had the size to go along with it and we'd have a starting PF. But nevertheless, should be an serviceable asset to us this year.

6. durvasa

His lack of a jump shot didn't seem to hurt the Rockets that much last season when he was in the game.

I'd much rather have all the things Chuck Hayes brings to the table then what Juwan gives us.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Maybe Novak can teach Hayes how to shoot a little better...

8. dream2franchise

No arguments there, but an 18 footer leaves him in the game longer, which means we benefit even more, he would even be starting as the 18 footer is about the only thing Juwan brings.

9. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Good to hear. I'd LOVE for Hayes to be 2-3 inches taller but I admire his energy, passion and work ethic.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Barkley dominated from the PF position at 6'4". Rodman was 6'8". I don't doubt Hayes could handle himself well at this position, though they could use someone taller for certain matchups. I just really like what Hayes brings to the table. Hayes, Battier, James- these are role players that can make a significant contribution to a championship.

11. durvasa

Here's an interesting stat for those who consider Chuck Hayes to be an offensive liability compared to Howard (and thus, should be relegated to a third-string role, or worse).

Instead of just looking at points scored per game, pretty much a worthless measure of a player's worth to an offense, consider the following more useful metrics.

• PtsProd/40: points produced per 40 minutes, via points scored, assists, and offensive rebounds
    • UPoss/40: used possessions per 40 minutes, via field goal attempts, free throws, offensive rebounds, and turnovers
    • Efficiency: points produced per used possession, relative to the league average points per possession. 50% efficiency means a player's points/poss matched the league average.

Following table based on this data.

Code:
    [COLOR=Navy]Name		PtsProd/40	UPoss/40	Efficiency[/COLOR]
    McGrady 	25.1		24.7		47.8%
    Yao 		23.7		21.0		53.0%
    Swift 		16.3		16.3		47.1%
    Anderson	14.8		14.5		48.1%
    Howard 		14.6		14.6		47.0%
    Alston 		14.3		14.5		46.4%
    Baxter 		13.0		12.2		49.9%
    Norris 		12.3		13.3		43.4%
    [COLOR=Navy][B]Hayes 		12.3		9.7		59.7%[/B][/COLOR]
    Head 		12.1		12.1		47.1%
    Wesley 		11.7		11.2		49.0%
    Bogans 		10.8		11.3		45.3%
    Barry 		10.1		10.3		45.7%
    Brunson 	9.9		12.1		38.5%
    Mutombo 	8.5		7.1		56.7%
    Bowen 		6.4		7.7		39.2%

Yes, Hayes didn't produce points at the same rate as some other players (though he wasn't exactly at the level of Ryan Bowen either). But take a close look at his efficiency! That's the reason the Rockets offense actually performed better with Hayes on the court versus Juwan or Stromile -- he didn't produce as many points, sure, but he also didn't use up nearly as many possessions. Juwan produced a few more points per 40 minutes, but at what cost? He used up nearly 5 more possessions per 40 minutes to do so, resulting in a very poor overall efficiency.

Edit:

To clarify, I'm not saying that Hayes is better than Howard offensively simply because he's more efficient. You have to look at points produced AND efficiency to get an accurate guage of their offensive value. Juwan will produce a couple more points than Hayes per 40 minutes, but 14.6 compared to 12.3 isn't that big a difference. And considering that Juwan would be getting most of his minutes playing alongside Yao and McGrady (if he's in the starting lineup), it's not like the Rockets are desperately needing those extra couple points from him. On the other hand, Howard is using up over 50% more possessions per 40 minutes than Hayes. If you wanted to find the best offensive combination with Yao and/or McGrady on the floor, I think I'd rather have the high efficiency/decent production you get from Hayes than the poor efficiency/decent production you get from Howard.

#11 durvasa, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

hayes has that great efficiency because he cleans up everything around the basket. the guy never misses layups. some people have touch around the basket and he is one. further he has a nose for the basketball.

I have never thought he was an offensive liability.

just curious....do anyone know how his height and wingspan measured out? I've wondered because it seems like he has long arms.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yeah you're right van gundy doesn't see that at all. :rolleyes:

14. kingkow

kingkow Member

Does somebody remember some rocket staff said if chuck hayes plays 20+ minutes per game and his efficiency goes down?

15. Jd1

Jd1 Member

More minutes for Heyes ! He'll serve the team good.

16. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

I think part of the reason the Rockets dumped Swift was to give Hayes more of an opportunity this year. I like what he brings to the table.

17. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Agreed with you 100%, give Chuck 20-25 minutes per night, he can produce 7-8 reb average

18. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

I love his hustle and work ethic but when he's in there, it kinda makes it tougher for Yao and Tracy to some degree cuz his man is basically doubling on Yao, daring Chuck to take the open shot. I'd be happy w/around 15-20 minutes of playtime.

19. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Nah, Chuck Hayes 20-25 minutes on the floor will average 5-6 reb the most.

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He didn't see it last year... otherwise he would have given Chucky more minutes over the most cancerous player on our team JHO.