1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes appreciation: My thoughts on him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MambaJoe, Oct 19, 2009.

1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Every time I go somewhere to watch the Rockets, either a sports bar, or someone's house, there were always a few guys always telling me that Chuck Hayes is trash and he suck and we should cut him from the team. This tells me that they don't know anything about basketball. They think that if a player doesn't score 20 points a game or do crazy dunks sucks. It drives me crazy every time I hear that. What they don't understand is that Chuck Hayes is very valuable to this team. Even if he don't play, he would give great advices to younger players about defense.

Chuck Hayes is under-size but he is a good player with a high basketball IQ. He is a very underrated passer also. Sure he doesn't get up there above the rim and score in bunches but honestly, he makes his layups and his free throw percentage got better. He is incredible defensively and I honestly think he should be 1st or 2nd all team defense. He just don't get the recognition because he don't get in highlight reels. People think Dwight Howard is a great defender just because he block shots and so does Lebron. But both Lebron and Dwight usually get their blocks from the weak side because they're so athletic.

Chuck don't get high enough to be block shots but he will shut his man down in the paint. Remember last season when we were playing against the celtics, Kevin Garnett was doing whatever he pleases with the Rockets. He was scoring and no one could stop him. Scola and Yao looked like a fool guarding KG. I mean KG was on a scoring spree against Scola and Yao. I think he scored like 12 points straight and they couldn't do anything about it. It was terrible. But then Rick Adelmen decided to put Chuck Hayes on him and from that point on, KG was shut down. He tried to back Hayes down and he couldn't, tried to shoot over him and kept on bricking his shots, tried to go around but gets cut off every time. That game showed me how great of a defender Chuck Hayes was. I always knew he was a good defender but that game proves to me that he is not only a good defender, but a great one. I believe he is one of the best post defenders in the league today.

Can you imagine if Chuck Hayes is about 3-5 inches taller and have a decent jumpshot? Man he would be an all star. He has a keen sense of the ball when he's going for the rebound. Good rebounder and a great defender with decent passing skills and high basketball IQ. That's what makes Chuck Hayes so valuable to the Rockets. He sticks to his game and play his role well. Doesn't complain about his minutes. I mean he is short and not athletic like some guys are but he get his rebounds. Look at Stromile Swift, he is tall, long and athletic and he can't get a rebound even if his life is depending on it.

So overall, Chuck Hayes is the man. He is the post defensive captain of this team.

1 person likes this.
  2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: Hayesfan post in 5...4...3...

For what it's worth, it sounded like a long list of "Chuck Norris" items...

Chuck Hayes once got 25 rebounds... with one hand tied behind his back.

Chuck Hayes played tough defense on Lamar Odom... with his eyes closed.

Chuck Hayes... etc., etc. :D

3. Chopped

Chopped Member

you are preaching to the choir buddy.

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

In before the "in before the McGrady hate."

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Haha..
    This reminds me of my roommate..
    He thinks Hayes is worthless.
    But he's so thickheaded, there's nothing I can say to defend Hayes.

Love him.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Chuck is a solid player. But, he won't meet rockets fans' current high expectation.

I feel the current expectation on him is WAY too high!

7. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Game 4......enough said
    [​IMG]

8. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

yes sirrrr!!!!

Those who really know and understand the game of basketball appreciate Chuck Hayes. :cool:

9. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

good one.. :D

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

LOOL... :D

11. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes sucks. Any player that can't tomahawk outside of the innercircle needs to go home and learn how to play properly.

12. limitlessRox

limitlessRox Member

Really? So basketball is all about dunking huh? So that means Nash and Jason Kidd or any other great player who doesn't dunk shouldn't be in the NBA? That also means if Shaq, LeBron, Dwight Howard take dunking out of their game they shouldn't be playing either? Wow.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I assume that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

14. rockets119

rockets119 Member

chuck is great when it comes to defending some of the toughest guards in the league, we saw how he defended KG to a near perfection
    he'd be a perfect player to have on your bench if we had yao and tmac healthy

15. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

lol, FAIL

Hopefully youre being sarcastic.

16. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

I think he is just kidding and being sarcastic, because if he is not, then the NBA can also be full of players such as Stromile Swift and James White.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What high expectations are you speaking of?

We expect Chuck to be smart on defense. (pick n rolls, help, man to man)

Anything past what was listed above is bonus. That extends to field goals, assists (which he is surprisingly good at) and free throws.

We know who Chuck is we don't expect him to be KG all of a sudden.. Expectations for Chuck are the same as last year: Shut the other opponent down..

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We saw how he defended Kevin Durant one game to stop a game winning bucket.. One on one too!

19. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

JVG found Hayes.
    Adelman found Wafer.

LOL

Actually, I like Adelman too.

20. woket

woket Member

Chuck Wagon for the Win!