1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: Texans to trade Wuerffel to Redskins

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, Feb 26, 2002.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1271176

Texans to deal Wuerffel to Skins
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

The first trade in Houston Texans history will be completed this week, league sources confirmed Monday.

The Texans will send quarterback Danny Wuerffel to the Washington Redskins in exchange for defensive tackle Jerry DeLoach. The swap will reunite Wuerffel, the 1996 Heisman Trophy winner, with Redskins coach Steve Spurrier, who was Wuerffel's coach at the University of Florida.

If DeLoach, who has a 2002 salary-cap figure of $298,000, doesn't make the Texans' roster, Houston will get Washington's seventh-round pick in the 2003 draft. The Redskins will receive no compensation from the Texans if Wuerffel doesn't make their roster.

Wuerffel was among 19 players taken by the Texans in last week's expansion draft. He spent the past season as the No. 3 quarterback in Chicago after a similar one-year stint with Green Bay. Wuerffel, who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL since 1999, spent his first three seasons with the New Orleans Saints, who drafted him in the fourth round of the 1997 draft.

For his career, Wuerffel has completed just 49 percent of his passes with 16 interceptions and only nine touchdowns. Had he remained with the Texans, Wuerffel would have competed with Mike Quinn for the No. 3 quarterback spot. If the Texans select Fresno State quarterback David Carr with the top overall pick in the draft, chances are he will begin the season as the backup behind a veteran most likely acquired through free agency.

The Redskins left DeLoach unprotected in the expansion draft but exercised their right to pull back the 6-2, 315-pounder after the Texans selected guard Matt Campbell.

DeLoach, 25, was signed by the Redskins as an undrafted free agent from the University of California prior to the 2000 season. He spent his entire rookie season on the Redskins' practice squad but made nine tackles in 2001, including a sack.

The Texans, who will use a 3-4 defense, are set at two of the three defensive line positions with expansion draftees Gary Walker and Seth Payne.

Meanwhile, the Texans continue to prepare for the NFL scouting combine, which begins Thursday in Indianapolis, and the start of the free-agent signing period, which commences Friday.

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Interesting. Could this mean that they have had discussions with another veteran QB? I wouldnt mind seeing Trent Dilfer come to town and tutor David Carr for 2 years

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Skins can have Wuerffel. Here is what I'm wondering...with the news coming out of New Orleans that the Saints are trying to trade Ricky Williams, should the Texans go for him? Is it even possible? I would think that seeing him in a Texans uniform would be a big boost in their first season.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It would be great for the Texans to sign Dilfer, trade for Ricky Williams (depending on the price), and maybe even pick up Blaine Bishop who is expecting to be released.

It is so easy spending someone else's money!

5. PhiSlammaJamma

If we get Blaine Bishop we will have that defense everybody thought we wouldn't have.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Applewhite will be the second or third QB for the Texans. I'd say he's competant and makes great decisions.

7. Nomar

Nomar Member

Hmmm. I know we are going to draft Dave Carr, but I would actually draft Henderson #1.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Bishop has gone downhill in terms of production (he only played in 5 games last year). I'd rather have Brock Marion or Rod Woodson at the safety position. I like Blaine only because of his Oiler roots. He's also 32 years old (well, this July), which wouldn't exactly fit the 30 and younger route the Texans are taking. (Yes, Woodson is over 30, but he's great...)

I hope the Texans sign Dilfer. Wuerffel was not the answer at QB. It would be nice to get Ricky Wiliams for our RB (Texas roots), but I fear the price would be too high to get him. His contract would be very team-friendly, though (thanks, Master P).

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

the dolphins were reportedly offering first and third round picks, and there's no way houston would trade their top pick; they're using it on david carr.

applewhite won't break camp with an nfl team. come on. second string?

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Houston might be the third mystery team that was mentioned in the pursuit of Williams. According to this article & an unnamed NFL source, the Texans have inquired about him, but aren't actively involved in trade talks.

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/saintsstory/saints26.html

Chances for trade of Williams diminish

Saints, Dolphins growing impatient

02/26/02

By Jeff Duncan
    Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

After two weeks of trade talks and little progress, the window appears to be closing on a Ricky Williams trade.

New Orleans Saints general manager Randy Mueller spoke with Miami Dolphins vice president of football operations Rick Spielman again Monday, but no progress was reported, and both sides appear to be growing impatient with the situation.

The Saints reportedly are asking for first- and third-round picks in this year's draft for the running back who rushed for a career-high 1,245 yards last season. Miami has offered this year's first-round pick (No. 25 overall) and a third-round pick in 2003 in exchange for Williams and the Saints' No. 2 pick (No. 44) this season. The Saints rejected the offer.

The Dolphins and Cleveland Browns are the main suitors for Williams. Houston also has shown interest, an NFL source said, but the expansion Texans are not actively involved in trade talks at this point.

"At some point we're going to have to move on because I don't think it's fair to Ricky to have this ongoing," Mueller said. "And I think we're getting to that point right now."

Williams met with Mueller two weeks ago to discuss his future with the team, Mueller said. During the meeting he told Mueller he was happy in New Orleans and would be satisfied with whatever outcome the team reaches.

That jibes with what Williams has told his agent, Leigh Steinberg.

"In essence, it's one of those situations he has absolutely no control over," Steinberg said Monday. "We're just sitting back here watching it play out."

Mueller said Williams did not ask for a new contract during the meeting, as the Miami Herald reported Friday. In fact, Steinberg said he has not sought a new contract for Williams, who is entering the fourth year of the original eight-year, $16.25 million deal he signed in 1999. Williams is scheduled to earn a $350,000 base salary in 2002.

"Ricky is in a great situation," Steinberg said. "He has tremendous friendships on that team, and he's ensconced in a great apartment on Bourbon Street."

But Williams has had another matter on his mind.

State police arrested him for speeding on Interstate 10 near Crowley late Sunday after he was clocked driving a Mercedes SUV 126 mph, The Associated Press reported.

Williams was charged with speeding in excess of 101 mph and reckless operation of a motor vehicle. He was issued a speeding citation.

He posted a $500 bond for speeding and a $100 bond for careless operation. No court date has been set, Acadia Parish authorities said.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If the Dolphins can get Ricky for their 1st round pick this year and a future 2nd round pick (this year or next) that is a steal. I think they are lowballing the Saints. It would be stupid for the Dolphins not to do that trade because they holding out for a return 2nd round pick.

Also, is Ricky stupid or what. Going 120 MPH is stupid in an SUV. Granted there are stretches of Lou freeways great for cruising over 100, but do it in a sports car or sports sedan. He is lucky he wasn't killed in a rollover into the swamp. Think next time Ricky.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I had a dream that the TExans passed on Carr.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

not happening, sorry. he'll likely have a deal in place by the end of march.

14. haven

haven Member

You know, Dilfer signing with Texas might be a bad career move for him. Right now, he's got this nifty reputation for being "a winner." Playing for the Texans might ruin that...

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Well, if it's any consolation to him, I still think he's a loser.

16. stringthing

stringthing Member