1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Chronicle] Rockets finally get Courtney Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmoney1101, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

...Because they just signed Ron Artest...?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They could have offered him a contract before then, come on now, let's use real talk.

Even Trevor said if the Lakers would have offered him a deal he would have stayed.

No worries, Morey moves his mistakes along very fast.

DD

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Really? I would trade any player on the Rockets to get Brook Lopez and last time I checked he played for the nets.

4. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

You just made my point for me. If they had offered Ariza a contract then they would not have been able to sign Artest. He was their main target all along.

5. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

We have a more balanced rotation from this group.

Lee is more of a 2 while Bud is more of a 3, so our 2 depth is improved while 3 congestion is eased.

We also have offense/defense is every position now
    Off/Def (not starting/back-up)
    AB/Lowry
    KM/Lee
    Bud/Shane & Jeffries
    Scola/Hill & patterson & Hayes
    Yao & Miller / Hill & Hayes

Lee was a 40% 3-pt shooter in his first year (with a dominant center). But what Lee doesn't offer is Ariza's ability to fill the stat sheets with 8reb, 6 assists.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, the point was that if Ariza was any good they would have made a move to keep him.

I don't like Artest, but he is much better than Trevor.

DD

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you got it wrong DD. the lakers WANTED trevor, but trevor wanted more money. so the lakers say eff you, you ain't worth than the MLE so they offered it to artest before letting ariza's agent backtrack.

and then ariza's agent found out his worth so he snagged the MLE with us.

trust me, the lakers wanted ariza before ron. if ariza's agent agreed to the initial offer, ariza would have remained a laker. his agent was stupid to think ariza was worth more b/c of the finals.

1 person likes this.
  8. lionaire

lionaire Member

If he does a solid job guarding the perimeter, I'm sold. :)

9. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

I'm not sure why I keep responding, you do keep making my points for me, but it is what it is.

My point is this: if you are going after a player as a free agent and are planning to pay him a reasonable amount of money, you do not offer new contracts to the player that is going to be replaced. The Lakers wanted to go after Artest, and so they're not going to offer the guy he's replacing a new contract until Artest officially says no.

I agree with you, I think Artest was a better player than Trevor when he had his head on straight. Artest was a primary option who didn't rely on other players to create the offense for him to contribute to. Trevor in next year's situation would have been fine though, having 4 other players create all the offense for him, and he would have contributed where he could while focusing mainly on defense and doing all the other little things.

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

That's what's so great about him, he sees a weakness and eliminates it. We are quickly becoming a team without any weaknesses.

Real talk, I slay ni**as.

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

So how's this going to work. Lee's not going to play at the 3... So shane's back in the line up?

I assume it's:

AB/Lowry
    Martin/Lee
    Batman/Bud
    Scola/Hill
    Yao/Miller

Not bad.

12. three

three Member

Chuck Hayes is our best defender! :confused: Battier is second.

I like the trade though.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

So whoever Lakers offered must be good then? I thought you didn't like Artest?

I like the trade, by the way. Just don't understand your line of thinking.

15. tonyt8605

tonyt8605 Member

i'm totally satisfied with our team. We have legit backup at every position now. We have given an opportunity to see Chase grow and get better, and Trevor in my opinion didn't live up to his potential. and with the NBA, if you aint a star, your window for proving it is small. Steps back in a career arent good.

16. PeppermintCandy

I wouldn't even call the Ariza sigining a mistake. Morey brought in a player who despite his limitations, helped the Rockets stay competitive for much of what was a lost season.

But ultimately for one injury exception, we're ending up with a very solid rotation player in Lee and a $6.3 trade exception to make another upgrade. Not bad at all.

17. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

So much for Taylor getting minutes this year.

Great pickup Morey!

18. davidghall

davidghall Member

I know that anybody will look good in a highlight video. But for those of you against the trade watch this video of Courtney Lee. You can't tell me that Trevor Ariza has anything close to this type of skill set.

Courtney Lee

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

TA was fine'n'dandy post-injury/post-trade. Let us not hate on the guy; let's like Lee (and let him earn our love).

20. worzel gummidge

Another view would be that the Rockets traded away their second most sought after player (That's straight from Morey) when they've been hyping up the intent to acquire a superstar this season.