1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: Francis Still Not In Plans of Team USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, May 9, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Francis and USA B'Ball

(TellTale Sig / Fearless Forecast: IF Detroit does not get past Indy AND Francis gets on the USA Team THEN look for Pistons to make a run at acquiring Stevie.)

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2558638

May 9, 2004, 1:06AM

NBA NOTEBOOK Francis still not in plans of team USA
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle RESOURCES

Perhaps all those NBA players who have said being on the Olympic team was dangerous to their health were right. But we thought the stress of playing was tough on players, not just being named to the team.

After the 2002 World Championships debacle, the stars lined up to play for USA Basketball in the Olympic qualifying tournament and Athens Olympics. But since then, injuries, Kobe Bryant's trial and a few offseason plans have thinned the roster until USA Basketball has been searching again for replacements.

And Steve Francis still can't get in the game.

Francis is hardly coming off his best season. But he is a three-time All-Star with a solid résumé. He has desperately wanted to play on any national team -- Olympics, World Championship, Olympic Qualifying and even Goodwill Games -- for years but has not gotten the call.

With the roster shrinking, USA Basketball officials have begun looking into their replacement options. Francis, sources said, "is on our board." But two sources involved in the conversations said that Francis' name hardly comes up.

This would have seemed to have been Francis' chance.

Tim Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal, Mike Bibby and Tracy McGrady still seem solid. Allen Iverson spent the season fighting injuries but has not indicated an interest in backing out.

But Bryant has said he will not be available because of his court schedule. SuperSonics guard Ray Allen is considered close to pulling out to be with his wife, who is expecting the birth of their child in early August. Karl Malone has been talking about taking the summer off. Vince Carter removed his name from consideration because he is getting married this summer. Shaquille O'Neal and Kevin Garnett seem to be leaning toward passing on their invitations.

Richard Jefferson is a lock to get one of the spots, and Kenyon Martin, who filled in for Malone last summer, could get another. Elton Brand, a USA Basketball veteran, could fill another frontcourt spot.

But with only one point guard, Francis seems to be lined up behind Stephon Marbury, Sam Cassell and Baron Davis. Davis has played for two USA Basketball teams. Marbury could be the favorite for this summer's team.

Sources said Francis' strong play and professional demeanor in his past two All-Star appearances -- unlike his first All-Star Game -- helped his cause. But he is still hurt by a reputation for petulance, particularly after leading the league in technical fouls this season.

In some other ways, the reputation is out of date. Olympic team coach Larry Brown wants to play an NBA-like rotation, with several players having to accept rarely playing. Francis would likely accept that role as a way to finally pay USA Basketball dues. But while the team seeks reinforcements, it does not appear that Francis will get that chance.

2. Raven

Raven Member

Chronicle: SF considered for Olympic team

Interesting

Raven

3. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

I didnt see his 1st all star game so what does this mean

Sources said Francis' strong play and professional demeanor in his past two All-Star appearances -- unlike his first All-Star Game --

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wasn't that his migraine year?

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

He only played a few minutes because of his headache, and then struggled to score a basket. He made one as the clock was running down.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Francis could score 45 points a game and toss out 18 assists and he wouldn't make the olympic team as long as Stu Jackson runs it.

I'm not sure what that guy has to do to get fired; I would think assembling a team that finished 7th in the world would have done it but I guess not.

7. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

its not like he ran away with this award. he was what? 3 ahead of KG in the tech foul department?

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

This sucks.... He has proved himself worthy over and over....

9. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

man i wish stevie can get on the team, but probly he wont. this does suck:(

10. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

okay...

let's not get carried away here.

if they choose marbury over francis... then okay that's arguable.

but they have cassell.

have you guys been watching the playoffs like i have? i mean pretty much Cassell this year is better than Francis in almost every aspect of the game.

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I think he should be on the team too, but I'm surprised most people here want him on the national team when he doesn't get much love on his local team. The fact that his situation is still the same on the team even though his stock went up in the playoffs is sad. A new team would be great for the guy.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hit it right on the head Sam. Steve's name will never even be considered as long as Stu is running things. Which I hope won't be too much longer.

The freak'n United States of America, home of the ultimate "Dream Team," couldn't even finish top 3. Being on the Olympic Squad use to be a privilege (MJ, Bird, Magic, Dream, Barkley, Malone, Robinson, Drexler). We have guys now that don't even want to play on the team, it has totally lost it's prestige.

13. sup123

sup123 Member

what did stu do?

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I believe Stu Jackson was the Grizzlies President of Operations when they drafted Stevie. After what Steve did to them, it has been no secret that Stu dislikes, maybe even hates, Steve Francis.

But I think if the player does the right things, has the right numbers, and is the right person for the job, he should get it.

I really hope SF can land a spot on the team. Having Brown coach SF for an offseason, telling him how to play smart and effective, I think it would really help Steve's game.

15. SamFisher

He has accomplished quite a bit.

Let's see, a 70-104 record as a head coach in the NBA.

Former GM of the Vancouver Grizzlies from 1994-2000; their record during his tenure: 78-300

Assembled the US National team that finished in 6th place in the 2002 World Championships, with a stellar roster including such superstars as Raef LaFrentz, Antonio Davis, Andre Miller, and Nick Collison, coached by Choke City Mayor for life George Karl.

Yup, he has a record of success like no other. I think once team USA chokes again this summer they may finally get rid of him....but who knows, Stu seems to land on his feet wherever he goes.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

That year when andrea and collison were on the team, steve straight up was desperate to play, it was like in the papers all over... but no, he wasnt chosen... o well, they lost big time...

17. sup123

sup123 Member

why was a rookie on the team...that makes no sense.

18. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

well they needed collison because they had no big men.

and do you really think Francis would have made a difference on that team? that team was so fundamentally flawed that only vintage jordan or Shaq could have saved it.

19. SamFisher

Would've been better than what they had; there was pretty much no one on that team that could create their own shot except for maybe Baron Davis and Paul Pierce.

There wasn't a credible case to be made back then for putting Davis and Miller ahead of him.

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

maybe with the scorers on this team they want a PG that can run a fastbreak.. and maybe they want people who choose to play D