1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: Dream still wants to keep the team together

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 16, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/969169

Olajuwon still keeping options open

Free agent wants Rockets to stay intact

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Rockets center Hakeem Olajuwon, reiterating his belief that the Rockets would be served best by keeping their team together, indicated on Monday that he has not reached a decision about re-signing with the team or moving on.

Although Olajuwon said again that he is determined to play next season, he indicated that his agent, Dan Fegan, and the Rockets could still work things out for him to return to Houston, the only team for which he has played in his 17-year career.

Olajuwon would not say whether Fegan has presented him with other offers, but that he is entrusting all negotiations to Fegan.

Players are permitted to sign contracts beginning Wednesday.

"I'm healthy," Olajuwon said. "I want to play. I have an agent. I'm a free agent. I've heard all this time I didn't fit in their future. If I fit, I'm available. If not, I'm not going to retire. I'm going to play. If I fit in their program, that is for them to decide."

Contacted at the LA Summer Pro League, Fegan refused to comment. Fegan also represents Rockets free agents Shandon Anderson and Moochie Norris.

Because Olajuwon occupied $24.5 million of cap space, the Rockets cannot sign other free agents until Olajuwon is signed to a smaller contract or renounced.

Olajuwon has repeatedly advocated keeping last season's team nucleus together. After weighing a pursuit of Sacramento Kings free-agent forward Chris Webber, Rockets officials chose to make re-signing their own free agents their priority, according to sources close to the decision-making.

"I said that all along," Olajuwon said. "Whatever I say is what I believe. Nothing is going to change there. Keep the team together. That's for them to do if they feel it's in their best interest. I made that very clear.

"You know, at beginning of the season, I heard over and over and over and over how I don't fit in that situation. They know their situation. The ball is in their court. And that's why I have an agent."
    ------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited July 16, 2001).]

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Argh, I didn't know that Fegan also represents Moochie.

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

The tone of what Olajuwon is saying in this article makes me feel like this negotiation is more about style of play and using him in the offense more than money. He still wants to be "the man". If this is the case, then the ball's in Rudy's court.

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Oh please, Hakeem knows that he can't be the man. All he wants is the kind of role that he was given during that brilliant stretch after the New York game, and you can't blame him for that.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The tone of his voice sounds more like "hey, if I leave it's not my fault, it's up to them to fit me into the system and I think I fit in. If they don't think so, then it's not my fault; I'll go elsewhere".

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

6. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Yeah, there is alot of attitude in Hakeem's remarks. I just dont see how he is going to play team ball, if he resigns.

I see the same whinny Hakeem that wanted to be traded, because he was not getting enough touches. With EG, DL & TM getting touches next season, will Hakeem except a more defensive Center role?

------------------

7. Speed

Speed Member

8. Behad

Then why has he taken the position he has taken? RT saw what Hakeem can do in that stretch of games. Is it money? If not, then the ball is in Rudy's court, just like I said.

------------------

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Then he is clearly worried that Rudy will, once again, limit his role. You guys seem to be forgetting that Hakeem can "still play". He is capable of getting 15-10 if given the touches. And he should be given the touches. Without him, the Rockets are a .468 team.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

10. Behad

What you seem to be forgetting is that Hakeem played brilliantly in stretches, not for the whole season. Take off your Hakeem colored glasses for a moment and you'll see the Rockets dilemma: he is an injury risk, and has been for several years.

Hey, I'm all for bringing Hakeem back. But do you do it with the expectation of having him play 82 games just like that stretch in mid season, or do you try to move the team forward, with Hakeem accepting a lessor role? To me, the tone of his quotes tell me he will not accept that lessor role. Thus, the impasse.

------------------

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I'd rather have a stretch of Hakeem greatness, than a season of 6 point 6 board games. I'm sick of preparing for the future. I want to win NOW. If the Rockets were to make it to the playoffs, the value of Hakeem would be immense. He would give them a chance to win. I want the Rockets to play for a title. Sure, the chances of that are slim, but I want them to play with that goal in mind. Hakeem could help make that a reality in the playoffs, if he was used properly.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

ZRB must have a lucidum intervallum or something...I could not agree more with him!!

13. Band Geek Mobster

How does Hakeem help us win now when he's on the IR?

------------------
    President of the CC.net Realist Club, everyone needs a dose of reality once in a while...

14. Behad

Where did I say that without Hakeem we would not be setting our sites on a championship? Where does it say "We will not sign Hakeem because we are building for the future?" Where is that written, or who in the Rocket organization said it?

Hakeem's value in the playoffs would be enormous. So why wear him out during the regular season? Why try to make him run with the young guns? If he accepts a lessor role on the team, he could be ready and available to assert himself come playoff time.

------------------

15. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I am in total agreement with the Dream. Last year they had him in a rocking chair then his play changed that. I have said elsewhere, he is not all over the place touring here and touring there. He is right, the ball is in management's hands. If he did not mean much they would have renounced him, take the money and run.

I pulled out my old tapes of 94&95 and there is no way Akeem should be somewhere else. Please do not confuse him with Patrick.

Do not low ball Akeem, to sign Bullard, Anderson and Moochie. Sorry. Management through skill and luck have placed themselves in the position to afford to bring the Dream back and not hurt the team. Looking at it from all angles, the Rockets are better of with Akeem.

This will be the first time the Dream will have so much top notch help around him. I believe he welcomes that and still want another championship but why pay him only $4.5m?

------------------

16. Behad

DearRock, like I said earlier, I don't think this is about money at all. I think it's about Hakeem's role on the team, and the fact that he does not want a repeat of the beginning of last year.

------------------

17. rompa

rompa Member

Hakeem deserves to leave, hakeem knows and I
    know that he still has what it take to be the
    man and post big numbers.

All he needs to do is get out of redneckville

------------------

18. Behad

{Insert blank post here}

------------------

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ditto

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Dayum Cat! Do you always log on around 10:45-11:00pm and check the Chronicle for Rockets headlines to post?

[​IMG]

Just kidding man. I'm in a razzing mood tonight.

------------------
    Anger is a weed. Hate is a tree.