1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: Bullard expected to sign with Charlotte; also more Rudy quotes on Rice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Smoke

Smoke Member

The Rocks have said they can't gaurantee Bull a roster spot. Incredulous! A nice way of asking him to leave? Maybe not so nice. Bull's only value this off season, apparently, was in support of the Rocks stance. The need for Cap Space to sign our own FA's. I marvel at their duplicity.

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

What duplicity? The Rockets said it publicly-- as you pointed out. Bull knew he was on the bubble.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have to disagree here. I thought that way at the beginning of the season, but quickly changed my point of view.

FIrst, good players are good players. They dont complain about the system, but go out and use the system to be productive. Second, our system was fine for Shandon...he just didnt know how to use it. When Cuttino had the ball was a perfect time for Shandon to be slashing. Especially when they started getting comfortable with the plays. Cuttino drives to the whole, blowing by his man as he somehow always does....help HAS to come. All Shandon has to do is slash into the lane for the pass and the layup while Walt and Francis stay outside for open shots. What about the double team on Cuttino right when he got the ball (this happened nearly every time the last month and a half or so of the season)? Cuttino became a great passer out of the double to Francis, who could either drive and kick out to Shandon for a three (he might be a slasher, but a shooting guard has to shoot some of the time) or he would keep passing it around to an open Shandon (cause of the D's rotation) who then could have easily drove the lane, or taken a wide open shot.

Why didnt we see much of this in Shandon's time with us? Cause he is, at best, a backup...a mediocre role player, someone with a half decent shot who shines just at the right time so some r****d with a checkbook (Dan Fegan, Knicks GM/owner) decides he is actually good enough to garner $42 million dollars over 6 years. I am still amazed that he got that much. I expect to see Shandon's production go even further down next year. I exepct he still wont be satisfied with his role. I expect NYers to quickly get on his case and I expect the Rockets easily GOT the upper hand in this deal.

Rice is much more than a baby step up from Walt. Rice has better defense, although only marginally, is a better rebounder, and is far and away a better, more consistent shooter. When Walt played decently last year, the Rockets won easily. Remember the Toronto game where he was on fire. Walt, however, is extremely inconsistent and cant be trusted to come through every game. RIce brings that level of consistency, where, even on the days when his shot isnt as good, he will go 2-8 and not 0-8, and he will get you more rebounds and better post up play and ball handling. And, to top it all off, the Rockets still have Walt on the team. The deal was Rice for Shandon, and Rice's advantages over him are even more numeorus.

#23 JayZ750, Aug 11, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2001
  4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I will miss Bullard but I think letting him go isnt any loss for us. Im actually happy to see him out. Yes he can shoot 3s, but he was a waste when playing on the defense. He had probably the worst defense.

Glen Rice will bring all those 3s that bullard brought and more. Glen Rice will provide CONSISTENT offense at the 3, something we havent seen for quite a while.

I think Walt Williams will be dealt off, he doesnt fit anymore now that Glen is here. But I think we need to sign moochie, he gets the team involved perfectly and will be a big help. Sign Moochie and Trade Wizard for a CENTER.

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Ug. This doesn't make me happy at all. Out of all the free agents, I thought Moochie was the easiest and most realistic resign we had to do. I think signing Moochie is like adding 4 or 5 games to our season win total. He has to come back.

6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

We are not losing Moochie. Please not Moochie!!! :mad:

7. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

When is the press conference to introduce rice to the media??

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Fegan is the devil, not the anti-Christ.