1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle announces Willis trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1100852">The Chronicle announces Willis trade:</a>

Oct. 23, 2001, 12:22AM

<b>Rockets reacquire Kevin Willis</b>
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets, knowing just what they needed to fill their nagging void in the middle, recalled two successful seasons in which Kevin Willis became a master at filling voids inside.

Faced with an 11 p.m. Monday deadline to spend their salary-cap relief, the Rockets swung a late trade to reacquire the 7-foot Willis, sending a second-round pick in next June's draft to the Milwaukee Bucks in a three-team trade that brought Willis, a 17-year veteran, back to Houston.

"I think I'm going to have the same role I played in Houston," Willis said. "It was a great time, but I was much younger then than I am now."

AP: Kevin Willis, right, has averaged 13.4 points (on 48.9 percent shooting) and 9.2 rebounds in his career.
    [​IMG]

Said Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson: "Obviously, it's always a positive when you can add someone with Kevin's leadership and skills. We like the fact he's played here before and is familiar with our staff. He's a proven winner who should come in and help shore up our forward/center position."

The Bucks sent Scott Williams and a future first-round draft choice to Denver. The Nuggets traded Aleksandar Radojevic and Willis to the Bucks, who sent Willis to the Rockets.

The Rockets had traded Willis to the Raptors, along with Roy Rogers, for two first-round picks in the 1998 draft. The Raptors sent Willis to Denver last season for Keon Clark.

The Rockets used the disabled-player exception they received when forward Maurice Taylor was ruled out for the season -- and which was due to expire Monday night -- to make the salaries match to complete the trade.

Willis was averaging 9.5 points and 10 rebounds in the preseason, but after pairing 16 points with 18 rebounds against the Mavericks on Saturday, he was held out of Monday's game.

"I was anticipating something like this," Willis said. "It is part of the business. I had a gut feeling. You know (why was I not playing). I came to the realization something was up."

Willis, 39, once provided the Rockets inside strength and shooting touch behind Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley, filling in for long, successful stretches when the starters were hurt in the 1996-97 and 1997-98 seasons.

Willis has averaged 13.4 points (on 48.9 percent shooting) and 9.2 rebounds in his career. In his two seasons with the Rockets, he averaged 13.8 points and 7.9 rebounds.

#1 Sherlock, Oct 23, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2001
  2. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Nice. Hardly a blockbuster, but a much needed gift. Just bang and board, Big Kev. Just bang and board...

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

More articles:

<a href="http://wire.ap.org/?FRONTID=BASKETBALL&STORYID=APIS7FAFNCG0">DenverPost.com</a>

<a href="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_854547,00.html">another earlier Rocky Mountain News article on Willis:</a>

<a href="http://www.bouldernews.com/sports/basketball/21snugs.html">an earlier Boulder News article</a>

<a href="http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/oct01/bucks23s1102301.asp"> <b>Bucks trade Williams</b>, Milwaukee hopes to make a run at Mason</a>

4. playahata

playahata Member

I love it. Willis is a solid starting center for us. We may actually have a shot at the playoffs again. Willis plays not too much D but he can rebound and he can score.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

God damn these stupid Yahoo articles , It said , Wiliiams to Nuggets , Rockets Get Willis in three team deal , Here I thought we finally got rid of Walt .