1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Why Texans defensive coordinator Richard Smith needs to be fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

She proves we need to can Richard Smith. I'm on that train.

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/10/why_texans_defensive_coordinat.html

Here is the argument why Richard Smith should no longer be the defensive coordinator for the Houston Texans. It's likely if he is let go, it doesn't happen until the end of the season (unless the defense looks terrible in this upcoming stretch of games).

I fully expect for the Texans defense to have a good game against the Lions. The Lions offense was bad before their starting quarterback and #1 wide receiver were gone, so I don't expect it to be better now.

In any event, here's my one stop shop on everything Richard Smith. I'll try to give you a bunch of facts on this, and see if you agree with my conclusion. Apologies if you have read any of this before, I am just trying to accumulate all of this in one place for those who have an interest.

For those who have read my writing for a while, I believe I have a reputation for being patient and not an off with his head, fire em sort of writer. But at some point you just have to say, c'mon now, or perhaps various strong profanity:

Background on Hire:

Richard Smith wasn't the Texans first choice as defensive coordinator. At the time the Texans were looking for coaches, so were a lot of teams. There weren't a bunch of great defensive coordinators available at the time where you knew you should throw a wheel barrow full of money at them so that they could run the show. (Jim Bates and Jerry Gray were both mentioned. Bates lasted one bad year as Denver's coordinator before being fired, and Gray was not retained by Buffalo and is now a defensive backs coach for the Redskins).

Originally, the plan was for Richard Smith to be a co-coordinator with Frank Bush who was with the Cardinals. Arizona didn't grant permission for Bush to interview with the Texans, but he later came to the team after he was let go and is their "Senior Defensive Assistant."

Here are the backgrounds of both Richard Smith and Frank Bush (I add Bush's background in case you are thinking of him taking over):

Richard Smith

2006 to present: Defensive Coordinator, Houston Texans
    2005: Defensive Coordinator, Miami Dolphins (this is slightly misleading as he wasn't sole DC for the Dolphins as is explained here).
    2003-04: Assistant Head Coach/Linebacker, Detroit Lions
    1997-02: Linebackers Coach, San Francisco 49ers
    1996: Special Teams Coach, Denver Broncos
    1993-95: Special Teams/Linebackers, Denver Broncos
    1992: Special Teams/Assistant Offensive Line, Houston Oilers
    1990-91: Linebackers Coach, Houston Oilers
    1988-89: Tight Ends/Special Teams Coach, Houston Oilers
    1987: Linebackers/Special Teams Coach, University of Arizona
    1984-86: Outside Linebackers/Special Teams Coach, California
    1981-83: Defensive Line Coach, Cal State-Fullerton
    1979-80: Offensive Line Coach, Rio Hondo (Calif.) Junior College

Frank Bush:

2007-08: Senior Defensive Assistant, Houston Texans
    2006: Asst. Head Coach/Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
    2004-05: Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
    2001-03: Special Teams, Denver Broncos
    2000: Secondary/Nickel Package, Denver Broncos
    1995-99: Linebackers, Denver Broncos
    1992-94: Linebackers, Houston Oilers
    1987-92: Scout, Houston Oilers

Neither comes from a distinct defensive coaching tree, and you really don't have a good sense of their defensive philosophy. Smith claims he has been influenced by a lot of coaches. At the time, Smith was with Miami, he was a co-coordinator for a 3-4 defense switching from a primarily 4-3 one, and Nick Saban was running that defense and attending all the defensive meetings.

Richard Smith's Woeful Start with the Texans

When Richard Smith first came to the Texans, he said he wanted to run an aggressive 4-3. At the time, he thought the players the Texans had in 2005 would fit the system "extremely well."

In the preseason, Smith decided it would be a great motivational tool to put pictures of rocks in the defensive player's lockers to symbolize how the players should be strong, steady and cohesive.

The defense's first three games under Smith made you want to throw some rocks. Catastrophically bad. The Eagles put up 441 yards, the Colts 515 and the Redskins 495. In the first three games, they allowed an average 32.7 points and 483.7 yards. To put that in context, the awful Vic Fangio 2005 defense allowed an average 21.7 points and 358.3 yards.

After the Redskins game, head coach Gary Kubiak spent extra time with the Texans defense trying to help Richard Smith out.

If you want to waste some moments of your life you will never get back, you can watch a video of Richard Smith talking about why those first three games were bad and him waxing philosophical about rocks. He explains it takes a while before a defense learns to play together but that they are all better now. He said that before the 2007 season.

The Texans Defense is Still Bad

Though the Texans defense isn't as catastrophic as those first three starts, it is still bad bad bad.

In an overly simple explanation, Football Outsiders ranks defenses based on their defensive efficiency--play by play comparing them to NFL baselines for different situations. Performances are adjusted for quality of opponents.

The week 6 DVOA rankings are out, and the Texans defense is atrocious.

The offense is 19th, the defense is 31st, and the special teams is 7th in league. After the Dolphin game, the defense actually moved down a spot from the 30th ranking.

The Texans defense ranks 26th against the pass and 32nd against the run. This is not good for a team that is supposedly designed to stop the run according to Smith.

Their consistency ranking is 4. This means that the defense is very consistent -- consistently awful.

At the bottom of the page, they have a chart called "Worst Ever DVOA Watch." Assessing the first 5 games of the season, the Texans 2008 is the 3rd worst that they have measured. But hey, it's an improvement! The Texans 2006 defense was the absolute worst after 5 games. But both the 2006 and 2008 defenses were worse than Vic Fangio's 2005 bad bad defense that ranked 4th worst.

(That last paragraph made me want to vomit while writing it. And I'm one of those people who has a hard time throwing up even if I am sick.)

The 2007 defense was no great defense either, they just weren't quite as atrocious for the first 5 games.

Overall, the Football Outsider rankings for the Texans defense at the end of the season have been as follows:

2005: (Capers/Fangio): 32nd
    2006: 31st
    2007: 30th
    2008: Ack, this is not looking so good.

Yeah, all these things are just stats. But what do you eyes tell you? Did it kill you to see how the defense was set up for the end of the Jaguar game, with the defense completely out of position to stop David Garrard? You could go game by game and point out absolutely baffling defensive calls and breakdowns.

I could put together an entire post of grotesque defensive plays over the last three years. Everything from the horrible almost 500 yards a game start to the Texans' recent win against the Dolphins being partially due to the Texans defense unintentionally letting them score quickly and getting the offense to win the game. I don't particularly want to write up all the defensive sickness since Smith has been here, so just take my word for it. Lee Evans would.

Not Terribly Convincing Reasons for Smith to Stay

Really, I can't think of any legitimate ones. If you have an offensive-minded head coach, you want a great defensive coordinator to hand the keys to. Someone who has a proven defensive system that is easy to teach to young defensive players.

There are three main points that are sometimes made in Smith's defense by the rare people who attempt it.

1. The offense does the defense no favors with turnovers. Having to defend short fields and staying on the field a lot certainly doesn't help your defensive stats. Even so, the Texans have been near the bottom of the league in many key defensive categories, including red zone defense (last in the league by a lot, allowing opposing teams to score 93.8% of the time). The Texans offense's time of possession hasn't been awful this year.

2. The Texans defense is young and has many needs. True and true. But do you really want to trust an inexperienced defensive coordinator in assisting picking and developing players? Do you really want the guy in that video be the one who is trying to sell free agents to play with the Texans?

I believe Smith wasn't fired after last year because the Texans used the excuse that the secondary was very injured and the team was young. I very much believe in patience in the NFL, but with Smith this has become absurd.

Kubiak made an immediate improvement on the offensive side of the ball even before he truly remade the roster. It's not like he has a ton of superstars and high draft picks on that offense. With the exception of Andre Johnson, the wide receivers and tight ends are guys that nobody really wanted. And it is not like they have been playing under a system for a long time.

The offensive side of the ball has a plan. They are a work in progress, but you see progress. The GM knows what sorts of players they are targeting for that side of the ball. On defense, the Texans are trying out all sorts of experiments to see if things work, but maybe they don't have a great sense of what sort of 4-3 they want to be.

The Colts and the Titans both run a 4-3, and have done a nice job of acquiring players that suit what they do. The Texans have drafted some nice players on defense, but some of those players (Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans) would succeed in multiple systems. Who knows what sorts of players that the Texans target on defense because you don't really know what they are trying to accomplish.

Conclusion-Smith Must Go

I think Smith has had enough time to develop a defense where you can see the players play better as a team than they are as individuals. I take no pleasure in writing this up but I think this is a topic that needs to be discussed. I know fans know the defense is bad, they just may not have an idea of how bad it is.

I'm just a fan who would like to see disciplined, smart, physical defense. And I know the Texans need more players on defense. I just don't want Smith to be the guy who has any input into that or is the one developing them.

I have no confidence that he can fix this defense, and I shouldn't have any confidence in him doing it because he has never been in charge of a defense before or fixed one. I'd like to talk with you about this some. Do you have anything to add? Am I missing some things I should consider?

Thanks for reading this far. I promised a commenter that I would write this, and I'm done.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

D*NG!

Rocket River

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, that was a very well-written (and sobering) article. This chick knows her stuff.

I've never been a fan of Smith. All those 1st round picks on the D-line and no one besides Super Mario can get to the QB? Or stop the run?

It's pretty telling (like she said) that the only win of the season is because the defense let Miami score really really fast (instead of the normal really fast). :(

The offense added an innovator to the coaching staff (Gibbs) during the offseason and we are already seeing HUGE improvements on that side of the ball. Frankly, it's getting better with every game.

No such luck for the arguably more talented (3 1st round picks and 2 Pro-bowlers) defensive side of the ball.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree that Smith is underperforming. I do think that over the last few games, the defense has been affected by Demeco Ryan's performance. He's clearly hurt. They've made it a habit to rely on him and he can't do it right now. I at least hope they're holding him out of practice in hopes that his ankle can recover before Sunday. They need him healthy to have a good defense.

5. yobod

yobod Member

Exactly! We are seeing the offense improve with each and every snap of the ball, and they supposedly have HALF the talent that the defense has, yet we see ZERO results from our "stacked" d. There HAS to be a point where somebody steps in and tells Smith to GTFO. Honestly, I would put it on Kubiak. His loyalty is costing the team wins now, and he needs to sack up and tell Richard Smith that his services are no longer required.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only time the Texans ever had a semi decent defense was in their early years when we had veterans like Gary Walker, Aaron Glenn and Jamie Sharper patrolling the field. Our coordinators on that side of the ball have been HORRIBLE since our inception. But now that we have SO many young players out there, it is made even more obvious how bad the coordinator is because it is his job to put them in situations where they learn and use their talents to best help the defense overall. Richard Smith has been absolutely piss poor at that. I'm still not convinced that Amobi Okoye is as bad as he seems so far this season. I really think he is being hurt by Smith and what has been asked of him (which is to say being more a guy that occupies blockers rather than a DT that goes after the QB).

Unfortunately, and she kind of touches on this in the article, I think if they fired Smith they would just hand the reigns to Bush and I doubt he would be much better.

7. conquistador#11

A woman that knows football like that always turns me on. Texanschick is a chick right? Just making sure. =)
    I agree with her, but to be fair, i think the d has played well the past 2 games. But sending linemen out to cover.... that has to come to a halt. Stop being cute and play some football.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2 Words.

Will Muschamp !!

DD

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My thoughts:

a) Happy to see this written, I feel Smith has dodged some serious, warranted heat for his time here. From the first game of the Kubiak era, I was in the stands joking about how at halftime he was jogging in so he could google "Stallworth." I had to laugh, seeing how there was no adjustment, and Dunta was being chained to his sideline instead of being moved to shut down the Eagles' top receiver. Let's be sure LJ Smith doesn't beat us!
    The joke became sorry once this became a repeat occurrence (Bills, Jets 2006). Richard Smith seems to have come in expecting offenses to adjust to his etched in stone defensive schemes, even though lesser talent isn't going to bend the will of greater talent.

b) Being fair, the article focuses solely on end results and is heavily lacking in intelligent conversation on where & how he is failing. Despite it being the simplest way, simply saying he's a lousy coordinator based on our poor results isn't really enough - the specific failures need to be mentioned in a fair evaluation - ESPECIALLY if you do understand the game. It should be pointed out that he's been abysmal in teaching/coaching the secondary (probably since he has zero experience there), that he ineffectively schemes zone blitzes and just avoids them (thereby making it tougher for us to generate pressure on QBs), and that our containment of the flats has been horrifyingly bad.
    That should be tempered by mentioning that we've been strong in stuffing runs up the middle, that losing Dunta was a massive loss, and that the franchise has been an abject failure in free agency - you can't build a team through the draft alone. The number of impact free agents we've brought in since the first season has been pathetic by any measure.

Anyway, I would be more than happy to see him shown the door. He's clearly not up to the task. Unfortunately we've got a nice-guy owner that's far too concerned with creating a safe wholesome environment to dare demand success and progress, let alone hold people accountable.

Evan

10. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

He's already said that he prefers the college game, and he'll be a head coach very soon. Rumors already going around that Clemson will make a push for to replace Bowden.

11. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

TexansChick is leaps and bounds the best Texans blogger/writer/etc. She actually writes worthwhile stuff compared to those other hacks.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

The Texans need safties that what they have always needed. Firing Smith will not solve anything unless they start to handle this situation. No one fears crossing the middle of the field against the Texans

13. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

She is very thorough and does a great job. She also does a Texans blog over at AOL Fanhouse, if you want to read more of her stuff. She is a mod and frequent commenter at texanstalk. Also, my older son (19) has a major crush on her.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya...not to mention that Auburn and Tennessee could also be looking for a HC this summer.

But Smith needs to go. The Texans have invested so much into the defense and we have a lot of talent but have gotten very little production in return.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

DeMarcus Faggins single coverage against Calvin Johnson in a blitz situation.

'Nuff said. Smith has got to go.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Take Faggins with you, Smith. This guy is absolutely worthless.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

:mad:

NO! Off limits!!

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think yesterday's game really cements my feelings on this issue. This guy has got to go. Just utterly clueless in that 2nd half.

Like emjohn said in the game thread, that 96 yard TD pass was just an abomination of a defensive scheme. The D backs were just totally clueless on that play. How can the safety bite on that slot route while the only good receiver on the team is one-on-one with (gasp) Pete Faggins? Just horrible coaching. I guess it was better than having LB's trying to cover Heinz Ward in Game 1, right?

And we only get 2 sacks against a team that gave up 7 the week before? A team that is playing from behind the whole game?? Mario was getting consistently double teamed and besides a LB blitz, we only get 1 sack from an undrafted free agent? Pathetic.

19. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

It is baffling to me, considering our draft history, that the defense is the weak link for the Texans (along with the offense's uncanny ability to give away the football).

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bc6c42
    Watching the play again helps show how our defense was completely unprepared for the play. Granted, it was a deep play action in an obvious running situation, but take a few seconds to walk through the play:
    -They are lined up looking for a run, with one safety up and Zac Diles on the line. That's fine.
    -Off the snap, the safeties recognize the pass and drop back. Here comes the confusion.
    -All 3 linebacks begin to play a confused no man's zone, and allow an end to release from the line into a 15 yd out, none of the 3 stay with him. Their right end releases with a slant pattern, and our right CB stays with him. Normally a slant pattern is a LB responsibility, but neither Ryans nor our left LB recognizes the route across the middle. Not that it mattered, but those are already two receivers uncovered amidst mass confusion with our LBs.
    -The deep safety comes back up when he recognizes the right end is running a 15 yd out uncovered, violating the cardinal rule of safety play: no one gets behind you. ever. no one. no matter what.
    -Once our deep safety comes up, Faggins is on an island with Calvin, and in fact is already getting beat badly in the footrace.

So for the big issues here, the ones that can't be brushed off with a "they surprised us with the deep play action":
    -Faggins can't cover Calvin Johnson alone. He's far too slow, Johnson far too fast and big. Putting Faggins on CJ isn't terrible, but he has to be tethered to safety help on all such plays. Faggins wasn't at fault here - the safety abandoning deep support was.
    -The (same) deep safety breaking the cardinal rule of (intentionally!!!) allowing a defender behind him. Look our safety issues have two roots: we haven't invested (well) in them, and we aren't teaching/coaching low-talent safeties how to play the game smarter. As much as LBs, safeties HAVE to be high IQ guys that know where to be at all times to shrink the field - a safety with dubious awareness makes the field 3 times larger for the opponent.
    -The LBs had NO CLUE what they were doing on the play. Both Tight Ends released and ran their routes freely uncovered while all 3 LBs drifted aimlessly guarding empty turf.

When the defense has no idea what to do - that's a clear sign that they aren't being trained well at all for situations. That's 100% on the D-coordinator and his staff. In fact, we were lucky yesterday; O-ski repeatedly overthrew wide open guys that found huge open areas in our zone coverage.

Fire RS. Bring in someone qualified for the job.