1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronic]Spanoulis says he won't return to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Red Glare, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4943775.html

Spanoulis says he won't return to Rockets

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Spanoulis said Wednesday that he and his agent have told the Rockets many times he will not leave Greece for a second season in the NBA, or to play for another team in Europe.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said on Tuesday that the Rockets still want Spanoulis back for next season and have no plans of releasing him from his three-year contract. Spanoulis cannot sign with any FIBA team, which includes the teams in the Greek league, unless released by the Rockets. Morey had no further comment on Wednesday.

"It's something very personal," Spanoulis said. "It's family problems.

"I'm not disappointed. In life, you never know how things are coming. Some things you expect when you sign a contract, you go there, something happens, and your decision has to change. When we are so far away from home, the culture and life and all these things are different. It's very difficult to know what will happen.

"I want to stay in my country. My hope is to play for one team in my country."

Spanoulis played in 31 games last season, averaging 2.7 points and .9 assists in 8.8 minutes per game. He made 31.9 percent of his shot, 17.2 percent of his 3-pointers.

Spanoulis' agent, Miodrag Raznatovic, said he and Spanoulis have told the Rockets 10 times since the end of the season that Spanoulis will never return to play for the Rockets and that nothing would change his mind.

"He told them 10 times 'I am not coming back,' " Raznatovic said. "In the beginning it was between him and Jeff Van Gundy. Now it is not. He didn't adjust to the American way of living. 'I cannot survive. I must stay at my home.' I do not understand how they cannot understand. It's something serious.

"I've been trying for one month and a half to make them understand. This is crazy. Believe me, he sold everything, his car, his apartment. He is not coming back. I don't understand how they don't understand. He said, 'I cannot live there. I thought I can. I was very happy when I signed the contract. After eight months, 10 months, I don't want a single second more.'

"It's not about money. It's not about playing time. It's not about anything else. They could trade him to San Antonio and he could be the starting point guard, and he would he would say, 'No, I cannot.' "

Raznatovic said Spanoulis, who earned $1.8 million as a rookie last season, would repay the $350,000 buyout the Rockets paid Panathinaikos last season out of his next contract.

He said Spanoulis has told him he would not play for any team outside Greece again.

"They could try Miami, New York, L.A., it would not matter," Raznatovic said. "Maybe he goes to Spain and (would) feel different, but we'll never know. He said, 'No, no, no. I cannot leave Greece.'

"He is looking for an escape. He calls me every day. His mother calls me crying, saying, 'Get my son back.' This is serious. If they want to send a message to all international players that if (they) come and cannot adjust, they cannot go back, that they have to stay there like a slave, that won't work. If he comes back, what can he do? Can he be a good player? Of course not. It could be a disaster."

The Rockets have repeatedly called to try to convince Spanoulis to return, with Morey, Rick Adelman and Yao Ming each calling. But Spanoulis said his decision is not about basketball.

"It was very hard," Spanoulis said. "This life was very different. I expected it to be a lot different. I am very close with my family. I prefer to be with my family than to play in the United States. It is very difficult for me to make that step, to be away from them and live there.

"From the basketball side, I had a very tough season with Jeff. That year was 5, 10 percent what I had in my mind. Now this is past. I respect all the people there. I respect the new coach, Rick Adelman. I respect him as a person and as a coach, and the new GM and the people of Houston. But to me, I cannot come back."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Thanks for the post...what a baby v-span

3. lalala902102001

Well, I think it's time to let Span go. He doesn't want to come back and it's useless to force him. Just release him from his contract and cut the loss. This was a bad situation and it's best for both sides to end it.

4. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

What a wuss.

Cya Spandexoullis

5. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

can someone photoshop a picture of him into a cry baby?

6. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

JVG knew that he sucked.

7. AkeemTheDreem86

I can't wait till the rematch of US vs. Greece. He's gonna get whooped. What a b****.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well originally i posted that we should hold him hostage, but if he truly wants to stay in greece, and he's not going to jump ship to another nba team, it won't hurt to let him go. yeah his coming off as a baby doesn't help.

9. SmitingPurpleEm

Too bad we couldn't trade him to Dallas for a second round pick.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

10. FFz

FFz Member

Wait... so whats he going to do about the contract?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So his contract counts against our cap, not matter what he/we do? If true, this is a disaster. In my opinion, we should just let him sit at home, playing for no one. What an immature chump. And to think I was thrilled to get the guy.

12. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

Very disappointing. I think he could have been a quality player, but decided early on that he was not going to do what it took to get there. It really seems like this situation was his first taste of adversity he has probably had in his life and he folded like a tent. What a waste of money by the Rockets!

13. FFz

FFz Member

wait a minute... is it me or did he just ruin any chance of us trading him to another NBA team. GJ vspan way to screw Rox over!

14. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I think we should sue his ass.

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This "I can't deal with living abroad" line actually makes a lot of sense. It would help explain why he was such a disappointment here. I feel bad for the guy. He discovered his limits in the most embarrassing way.

16. tomato

tomato Member

on July 4, Rockets Red Glare posts about the little Greek who couldn't tough it out with the Americans, I'm so pr :eek: ud!!!

17. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

The whole "home sick" thing is just an execuse that makes things easier for both parties. I don't believe that it has nothing to do with his bad bball season.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is childish and very dissappointing. What a p***y, he needs to stick it out and fulfill his contract.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If his contract counts against our cap, and we can't get any value from the guy in a deal, which obviously we can't, then I don't have the least sympathy for him. Past time for him to grow up, Will.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.