1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Rockets intend to distribute workload

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7219443.html

Adelman plans to allow bench extended minutes

Luis Scola has heard the rumors but remains skeptical.

Word has been going around that Scola turned 30 in the offseason. He would not confirm it.

"I heard that, too," Scola said. "I do not believe it."

But Rockets coach Rick Adelman is certain, and not only about the mileage on his veterans. Much has been made of the Rockets' determination to cap Yao Ming's playing time to no more than 24 minutes per game, but the Rockets also plan to limit the minutes of the rest of their 30-something frontcourt — Scola, Shane Battier and Brad Miller - in the hope less will be more.

"That is a goal," Adelman said. "They should not have to play the minutes they played last year. I don't see why anybody over a period of time should play 35, 36 minutes. I would hope it would be more the high 20s, low 30s, and that would help them a lot."
    Starters had lion's share

Battier averaged 32.4 minutes last season, even with Trevor Ariza spending much of the season at the same position. Scola averaged 32.6 minutes, 36.8 minutes after Carl Landry was traded. In one 10-game stretch, he averaged 40.6 minutes.

With the Rockets determined to be at least as up-tempo as last season while trying to pick up the defensive intensity, all while hoping to play that style further into spring than last season, Adelman said he would play more players in order to call on them for fewer minutes.

"I like our depth all the way through," Adelman said. "I don't think anybody should have to play 40 minutes. We need to play every possession all-out. We have more quality guys coming off the bench.

"Shane and I think Luis, those guys can benefit from not playing a bulk of minutes. They have quality guys behind them. That's why playing a legitimate center all the time helps us, because Chuck (Hayes) goes back to the four spot, where he is very effective. That can help us. And we have some young guys we really like.

"I told a number of players, 'There is no reason for you to hold anything back. When you're on the court, you have to get after it.' "
    Taking a toll

The workload seemed to take a toll on Battier and Hayes last season, with both battling knee problems late in the season and Battier sitting out the final 15 games.

Limiting minutes was not an option for the Rockets last season, but that, Battier said, does help the top teams.

"It's been my experience that when you're smarter about minutes in October, November and December, it does pay off down the stretch run," Battier said. "You see with the teams that have championship aspirations, they play it that way. Last year, we didn't have that luxury. We had to play as hard as we could as long as we could. It's a little bit different this year.

"It's nice to be two deep at every position. We can play as hard as we can, knowing we have great bench help that can come in and perform."

Scola added a grueling summer schedule playing for the Argentina national team at the World Championship. He believed he would be ready for any role he is given and was not about to complain about more getting playing time than in his first two seasons in the NBA.

He even said the change could be right for this season's roster.

"I liked the minutes I played last year," Scola said. "I played a lot. Everybody likes to play a lot. It was a lot of fun. But whatever is best for the team.
    Every team different

"Sometimes you have a deep team, and you are more effective playing everybody in the 25-minute range. Sometimes you have a shorter (rotation), and the guys that help you have to play 35 minutes. You can't really have one way to go for every team. We have to adapt to the team we have right now."

He did indicate he might have reached 30. If so, he did not think it would slow him.

He did indicate he might have reached 30. If so, he did not think it would slow him.

"Just four months went by," Scola said. "It's not like four years went by. I believe I can be the same player as four months ago."

Still, he and the rest of the 30-somethings might have to squeeze their usual production into fewer minutes.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, I think for this roster, it only makes sense to use a deep rotation.

Who will lead the team in MPG?

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Depends on who gets injured.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm curious to see how our PF/C rotation works out. Even if we go 10-deep, only one of Hayes, Hill, and Patterson should play barring injuries. I wonder how Adelman plans to distribute the minutes given that Yao and Miller are both unlikely to play major minutes until season's end/playoffs.

5. dreamshake09

dreamshake09 Member

Spurs have been doing it for a few years now. It doesn't guarantee anything, as nothing is guaranteed in pro sports but it's certainly better than not managing our 30+ year old players minutes.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Scola or Brooks or Martin

I think those will be the top 3, Scola around 33mpg, Brooks and Martin around 35. Can't wait to see, I will be excited to see anyone on the floor, I am very happy that I will get to enjoy half a game of Yao and I am really interested in seeing how we mesh together...I know we say this every year, but I am ecstatic about the start of the season.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

12 man rotation.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I kind of tend to side with Scola on this one. Ill believe it when I see it... if it does happen hopefully its a result of having big leads or because we want to showcase the young talent early to flip for a more prominent player. The first thing this team needs is an identity and with Yao coming in and out of the lineup that's already going to be hard enough to accomplish.

1 person likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Brooks = mpg winnar?

Cynical side of me says mid-season trade bait.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

If Adelman's serious, I doubt any player gets more than 30 a night on average. Players like Lowry, Lee, and Budinger should play at least 20mpg. And we're 3-deep at the PF position for Scola to play that much.

I see no reason why we shouldn't lighten everyone's workload in the regular season. With 82 games each at 48 minutes, old Grizzlies teams have shown you can win through depth over top tier talent in the regular season.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I gonna say Kevin Martin.

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

We have depth at every position. Are are bench players good enough to help us stay in the game when we need them? That what I wrestling with when I write this. The Rockers are not as deep as the Celtics were they can plug a Big Baby, Nate Robinson and still win games. But I understand why they would want to rest the veterans, but imo, we will lose some games playing inexperience players a chunk of the mins.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it'll probably be close, maybe something like this:

brooks 26/ lowry 22
    Martin 26/lee 22
    Battier 27/Bud 21
    Scola 27/chuck 18/ jeffries 3
    Yao 24/ Miller 18/ Hill 6

14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I think to free up the logjam at the 4 spot, we should trade Hill, Jeffries and possibly Patterson for Nene.

Split the Center minutes between Yao/Nene and have Miller and Hayes as situational players or when Nene plays the 4 spot with Scola out alongside Yao or Miller.

Now that would be a scary frontcourt.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well there's a reason why Boston didnt beat LA and it wasnt just because of Perkins. The games they won with Nate and Davis playign significant crunch time minutes were due to them being on a roll and not so much their skill level, composure, or experience. Robinson hardly played in Game 7 and was only a factor in one of their 3 wins in the finals. Davis barely played in one win, was just ok in another, and played well in the third.

We lack experience, but not talent/depth. What boston had wasn't depth, but good leadership from their big 3. That's going to be a bigger issue for us than depth.

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Martin is going to get 33ish minutes, I think your spot on with the Battier minutes though. Scola should get 30minutes. Brooks should get 30-35 ish.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think the rockets' bench is at least as the celtics.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Some new numbers Morey crunched up about player minutes?

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

in my opinion by seasons end hill will have as many mpg or more then chuck hayes. hill has that length and fits in better in the offense.

20. delishman

delishman Member

This is a little greedy on my part but..

If Scola plays out his contract in Houston the guy could become one of the all-time-favorites. Maybe not on talent lists but just all time favorite Rockets.

The Dude is Awesome.