1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Rockets appear ready to launch from 3-point range

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4243616.html

[​IMG]
    The Rockets are hoping additions such as Steve Novak will bolster the team's shooting.

Rockets appear ready to launch
    Adding shooters to mix should help 3-point percentage

AUSTIN - Suddenly, Juwan Howard felt as if he could fly.

He looked around him as his second-team unit was rolling against the Rockets' first team. He played the power forward-center position so in vogue. He marveled at the marksmanship and quick triggers around him. He watched John Lucas, Casey Jacobsen, Steve Novak and Scott Padgett fire 3s when he happily got the Suns in his eyes.

"We kind of dominated the white team," Howard said. "I told the guys, 'You know what, I feel like Amare Stoudemire out there.' "

Howard did clarify that he is not quite as "explosive" as Stoudemire.

"I don't have the 45-inch vertical," Howard said. "I'm working on that."

The Rockets would not mind if he masters that, but for now, they are hoping they have collected enough sharpshooters to provide the 3-point shooting reminiscent of the NBA's top-scoring, and more to the point, best-shooting team.

The Rockets were 27th in the NBA last season in 3-point shooting (making 33.2 percent).

To repair that, they have brought in a gang of players who can be considered shooters, so much so that while Howard felt like Stoudemire, Tracy McGrady was ready to be part point guard, part offensive coordinator.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, the way I play and all the attention teams like to give me when I handle the ball and come off pick-and-rolls, those guys are standing out there just wide-open," McGrady said. "I do all the work for them. I do the work. They can sit out there, twiddle their thumbs and wait out there until they shoot the ball. What a job they have on the offensive end. Ain't that something.

"Talent with great shooting as well — that's what we were lacking last season. To have that is great for me, to know I can have some freedom to get in the paint and the defense is going to clog it up and I believe in my shooters to know they're comfortable enough and confident enough to knock down shots. It should be an interesting year."

Numbers game

This was the idea when the Rockets added Kirk Snyder, Lucas and Jacobsen to the backcourt; Shane Battier, Novak and Padgett to the frontcourt. But as entertaining and encouraging as teammates found all that new shooting to be during training camp, there is no certainty of how many of the new shooters would make the team, much less take a place in the rotation.

"We want to put on the floor as many 3-pointers around Tracy and Yao (Ming) as we can, if we're able to still defend and rebound," coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "You can't sacrifice one for the other. You have to find your best grouping."

As much as perimeter shooting has always been useful, it has become increasingly vital — and the Rockets' shortcomings increasingly glaring — with rule changes and interpretations.

When zones were allowed, illegal defense rules could no longer force defenders out to opposing 3-point lines, taking them away from low-post double teams and help on ball penetration. Poor-shooting big men who could crash the boards or cut to the rim no longer helped. But beyond that change, last season's move to prohibit hand checks and grabbing to slow ballhandlers made the shooting threats around them increasingly valuable.

"There's a lot more freedom of movement," Battier said. "The defensive player is really at a disadvantage now in terms of limiting the offensive player's move. You see a lot more penetration. Those guys can get to the hole more. But guys (defensively) are a lot more athletic so they (offensive players) can't always finish so there are a lot more kick-outs to wide-open, 3-point shooters. You see the good teams have players that can knock those down."

Shooting was an issue

That logic brought Battier to the Rockets, beginning the summer collecting shooters.

"It's not just our team, it's probably most teams," Van Gundy said. "Shooters are at a premium.

"That's why I like John Lucas. He's a midget. He's got some other issues, but the guy can really shoot. Novak's got issues, but he can really shoot. Padgett has some things he does well and not so well, but he can shoot and make quick decisions with the ball. Battier, he doesn't have issues. If you have issues with Battier, you have issues."

The trick will be getting them to do other things well enough to get on the court. Then Rafer Alston might feel like Steve Nash.

#1 Rockets34Legend, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I dont think Novak's going to play many minutes, barring injuries, for us this year.

I'd like him too, lets see if he can help us spread the D. I have no doubt he would be effective in spurts. Maybe play a quarter a game.

But I dont even see him getting that initially - bit of a shame. But hopefully we are healthy and firing on all cylinders so we dont need to look that far down the bench too often.

4. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

that article gives a good positive feeling. it would be great if the rox dumped bowen, sura, azubuike, and jacobsen. i like jacobsen but the sg spot is way crowded as it is.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

dont they all...

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Nice know'n ya Ryan.

7. xomox

indeed.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That has to be a first for Van Gundy.

9. xomox

man, you know jvg has a battier poster above his bed.

10. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I have issues with battier. Can he defend the big PFs? Thats one issue. So i guess JVG is admiting that Battier can handle the opposing Bigs.

I definitely agree that we need to surround yao and Mac with as many shooters as possible. Kinda like this team.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBxedLwMbqo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBxedLwMbqo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Cut Bowen, Azubuike, Haryazz and Sura

11. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

1. Should we be concerned that the starter's are getting killed by the scrubs?

2. Juwan felt like Amare out there?

Does that mean his knees are busted?

:p

3. Seriously.... this supports the suspicion by some of us that Juwan is gonna come off the bench and get some minutes at both the 4 and the 5 and might even be pretty effective at it when you put a bunch of shooters around him.

12. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

mmm well if Juwan and the scrubs are killing the first team

that means we should start them as oppose to yao and mac eetc

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That video makes me miss mike james.

14. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I miss barry. His hustle was very special.

15. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Forget about Mike James, I miss Jon Barry. That guy has some serious b-ball IQ and a sweet outside jump shot. Hopefully some of the young guys can prove themselves this year when they are on the court. The confidence should be sky high for these young kids.

16. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

We should start our own "shock and awe" campaign against opposing teams by bringing Yao and Mcgrady off the bench.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

OK, now this adjustment to the new rules is something I have been waiting to see happen for years now and is something that is long overdue. In essence, the Rockets are only now trying to finally adapt to the playing changes that the new rules have forced on the league. IMHO, this is where teams like Phoenix & Dallas were able to leap-frog us because they have placed better shooters and bigger & better athletes on the floor to take advantage of the new rules. Meanwhile, the Rockets were fielding a team with two very good players in Yao & TMac whose effectiveness on the court could be neutralized because of (1) the style of play that the Rockets chose to follow which exposed their core weaknesses especially shooting and (2) the team's personnel mix which consisted of older, slower, non-athletic players who were unable to match up with opposing players especially on the perimeter. Of course, as the article says, it still remains to be seen how this all works out but that's why JVG was hired. He has to make this all work this season or he will be gone as the Rockets have run out of excuses and their fans have run out of patience.

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Haha!

19. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

so if juwan is playing on the second team in practice does that mean hes not starting????

20. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Oh lord. NO more Mike James videos. This guys explosivenes is sorely missed.