1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Rockets apparently not getting Iguodala or Butler. So what now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

From Dick Justice....

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustic...oustonchronicle/sportsjustice+(SportsJustice)

Daryl Morey is an odd duck. Let's just begin with that analysis. Took me awhile to get there, but that's my expert conclusion. And if you ever dreamed he'd end up as general manager of the Astros, you can stick that little thought in a sock. Ain't happening.

This weirdo has decided that making a bad deal is worse than making no deal. Yes, you right that sentence right. Can you imagine such a thing? I know some of you are going to be upset by this situation.

Some of you want change, and you don't care if it helps the Rockets or hurts the Rockets. There's still a strong possibility Morey will make a deal before next week's trade deadline, but it's probably not going to be one of the ones you've been hoping for. I'll get to that later.

I guess I've spent too much time around the Astros. Those boys see the world differently. Drayton McLane wants action. He doesn't seem to get caught up in whether the club is going forward or backwards. He just wants the club going some direction.

I can't tell you how easy this philosophy makes my job. I get up in the morning wondering if there'll be anything to write about, and along about 3 p.m., here it comes. Kaz Matsui. Miguel Tejada. Jason Jennings. Woody Williams. Carlos Lee. Brandon Lyon. Mike Hampton. My eyes light up like the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. They've done it again.

We're not likely to have that kind of fun when Thursday's NBA trading deadline passes. This smarty-pants Morey has decided he's either going to help the Rockets, or not do anything.

At the moment, not doing anything meaningful seems to be the option with increasing appeal. Let's update the dwindling list of options:

• The Mavericks seem poised to acquire Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood from the Wizards for Josh Howard and a package of other players. Morey thought Butler and Haywood would have been a decent fit—that's decent fit, not great fit, don't confuse the two—for the Rockets. But he couldn't have made the deal without surrendering a big chunk of his core players — Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Chase Budinger, Luis Scola, etc. — and he was unwilling to do this.

• The Sixers have informed the Rockets that Andre Iguodala isn't going to be traded. This could be a bluff, but Morey apparently believes the Sixers are serious. So those discussions have ended for the time being.

• Morey had less interest in Amare Stoudemire, who appears headed for the Cavs. The Rockets were never really comfortable with Stoudemire because he's unwilling to commit to a long-term contract and because he's a liability on the defensive end of the floor.

• As for the other players, he was had on his wish list — Kevin Martin, Corey Magette, Anthony Randolph, etc. — there's nothing cooking. Things could change as Thursday's deadline approaches, but the Rockets aren't confident they'll make an impact move.

• Now to the next-to-last option. That's to trade Tracy McGrady for a bundle of expiring contracts. That kind of deal still could happen. If it were me, I might just let the little diva sit the rest of the year, but I hold grudges.

So where does this leave us? The Rockets would enter the off-season with a likely lottery pick, the core of the team still together and some salary cap room. If they renounced contracts, they'd have the flexibility to bid for LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade or Joe Johnson, but a more likely scenario would be to keep most of the team together, to add at least one player from the draft, to get a healthy Yao Ming back on the floor and then to have some money to spend in free agency.

(I wouldn't hold my breath dreaming about Bosh, Johnson, etc. Max-contract players would be giving up about $20 million in salary. Johnson and Wade seem unlikely to leave. The Rockets hope to make a recruiting pitch for Bosh, but it appears a longshot.)

First, before you write to tell me the Rockets shouldn't bring Yao back, that's a dead issue. He has a player option, and seems likely to exercise it. Leslie Alexander wants him as part of the team, and the team's medical staff seems cautiously confident he'll be able to resume his career. There are no guarantees, but unless there's a setback, Yao seems likely to be part of the Rockets next season. Remember that when he's healthy he's 20 points and 10 rebounds, and this season has reminded us how valuable he is.

The intriguing part about this final scenario is that the Rockets believe they'd be able to get an impact player in the draft. Considering how many good players Morey has found with lower picks, it's certainly seems realistic that he would do something good with a higher pick.

What this final option doesn't do is address the needs for this season. Iguodala or Butler might have elevated the Rockets into a lower-tier playoff team this season. Neither seems to be an option at this point, and none of the other options seems likely to happen.

Over at Minute Maid Park, there'd be panic in the streets. There'd be a telephone call from Temple wanting action. And there'd be a deal even if it didn't make any sense. There'd be a good manager fired and a bad manager hired, a coach dismissed. At least, there'd be action.

Morey sees things differently, and while he's not much for column material, he's better for the basketball team. He has made enough smart moves that it's OK to trust him. If he says there's no deal out there that will help the Rockets, then I say there's no deal out there that will help the Rockets.

So next week, we'll root for our little team to get its mojo back, not to mention it's injured players, and then we'll see how this season plays out. Between now and then, the Texans will have time to add six more ex-Broncos, and the Astros, well, who knows what those crazy kids will come up with?

1 person likes this.
  2. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

I am Glad Morey is the GM of this team. I Really Am.

Giving up core players for Butler and Haywood would have been a mistake. Morey has put together a group of core players who are role players that will help a team win a championship.

With T-mac's expiring contract we must be patient and hope Morey can work his magic in free agency. Yao will hopefully come back strong and we will be in good shape.

Believe me - I want a Splash now as much as anyone - but I'd rather be patient now than endure 3 more years of frustration by treading water and have early exits from the playoffs (at best) - swapping players that won't get us to the next level.

I Trust Morey . . .

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pull a rabbit out of the hat?

Not sure where he/we goes from here. Surely he didn't give up hopes on making a deal but the clock's a tickin'.

One of the NY papers said it wasn't likely a McGrady trade happens now. Quite frankly I don't know what other teams are out there(Maybe a good thing?) Morey's mind appears to be set on: 1. acquiring a "star" or piece to the puzzle or a young asset. 2. without going over [and staying under] the LT 3. while not giving up nobody else besides McGrady.

Hard to do, even for a guy like Morey, imo. But we shall wait and see what happens?! I won't be surprised on what happens. I could very well see us standing pat, I could see us making a minor move like sending a Cook out to get under the LT, I could see him moving McGrady for what many would consider not a popular name, or lastly, surprising us all and getting some guy we never even talked about. Remains to be seen but your on the clock Morey!

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Stoudarmire a liability on the defensive end of the floor?

What percentage of NBA players are NOT a liability on one end of the floor or the other? Is it that much worse, actually, or just a perception that it is a far more serious detriment to be a liability on the defensive end than the offensive end?

Seems to matter more for the playoffs than for the regular season. I'd rather watch an offensive team (in any sport) than a defensive team unless it is a blitz-happy football team.

5. theprof

theprof Member

"Add six more ex-broncos". LOL. I like the cynical Richard Justice. He is just mad he didn't have a new Rockets story for his column so he made one up. I haven't given up though.

All Star weekend just started. Its like winter meetings in the MLB. Some others have said it but patience is key.

6. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Morey knows what he is doing. I truly believe in him, I was upset last night that the Mavs acquired Butler, but giving up Lowry, brooks, Bud, Or Landry is really not worth it for an aging CAron who isn't really going to help us be a contender...

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Corey Maggette?

Come on DM, get r done !

DD

8. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Isn't this guy a baseball analyst?? why is he writing an article on basketball? Where is Jonathan..

Sometimes when i read soloman and his article I wonder what they are talking about since they both have to be so negative.

Keep McGrady let him expire or play him so he can get another contract from another team and let everything go away.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

So if nothing significant develops by the 18th, BimaThug would have been spot on his analysis of the cap situation. At the end of the day, it is all about money, and what Morey deems worthy.

Kinda of a downer, but it is what it is.

10. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Come on DD how many Injury Prone players must the rockets really go after or need for this team. Enough is enough. I think its time that us fans deserve a durable player. Yeah injuries are part of the game but come on.

Let CM stay in Golden State.

11. towW

towW Member

Team full of role players ftw :p

12. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

With that contract of his? No, no, no.

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

They want to suprise everybody maybe - lets hope!!

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Rockets fans want more, but this season was never meant to be anything special. Look forward to next season.

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I agree. Something will definitely happen, but it will be a WTF move that, of the million scenarios put out on this forum, was never dreamed of. Maybe he can pull another Kyle Lowry from his hat, someone extremely talented with loads of potential, yet rotting away deep on the bench.

16. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

If u want to win a championship in basketball u always need that superstar player that does both great.
    Hakeem
    Kobe
    Duncan
    Lebron
    Wade
    Jordan etc. All championship teams have one.

17. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

there's always ilgauskis.....

He's a tall center you could consider a poor mans Yao. Has the range and whatnot to extend the defense for perimeters guys to move in the paint if need be and he can post.

think the cav's are at all interested in tracy mcgrady? I mean he could help the team for sure and take some of the pressure off lebron "it's on me....and bron"

18. reupdadj1

reupdadj1 Member

+1 Thank You for this...we gon say that DD said that out of frustration

19. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

I smell a sign and trade at the end of the season ,for d wade.Then I think we can sign him for whatever we want with out having to pay luxury tax, :)
    can we do this?

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So now we sit on that massive expiring contract until next season - then make a big move.