1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(CHRONIC) Point guard wishes Rockets would extend contract to match his growing value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LpBryan03, Sep 29, 2010.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You do realize that we still have 3 other starters who create spacing as well right?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

DaDa faints

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He's asking for a discussion on contract extension not demanding one.

Everybody wants to get a raise if they feel they deserve it. He will get his soon enough.

You people here need to stop trippin.

4. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Brooks is a clutch player that wil worth somewhere in the vicinity of $6-8 Million a year and i will lock him to 7 yrs. Compare to Devin Harris of the Nets with $8+ million a year with 16pts, 6.6 assist while Brooks is more versatile player and 19.8pts and 5.3 assist earning $2+ million. The management definitely needs to review AB's contract extensions.

#104 KALIKULI, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  5. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

6. tested911

tested911 Member

I have not read through all the post but he will command/want more than what Kyle Lowry makes a year... ( 6 Million ) ... Most likely the demands are going to start at 11mil / yr and work from there.. He will go no less than 9 so that either means Lowry has to be shipped out or Brooks goes.. Easy as that... We are not going to tie that much money on our PG slot unless it is a tier 1 player...

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Are we still going to bash Brooks for supposedly not getting the ball to yao? I mean are some here that petty?. Brooks pretty much tore the Lakers to shreds and took the Champs to a game 7 by himself. Last season he kept improving and won the MIP. He is legit.

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Everyone needs to calm down.

Morey is smart and knows that come July 1st (or at a later date after a lockout), there will be a whole new CBA. One, in which, no one...I repeat NO ONE, knows what the max salaries, exceptions, and raises will be. Of course, in situations like this if the players take a strong stand, the new CBA may be very similar to the current one, but you never know.

In the new CBA, maybe a max contract is $10 million, and a cap is hard set at $60. Still think teams will offer Brooks $8-9 million? It is always possible one team will, but much more unlikely than even under the current CBA.

Because of all this, it make little to no sense in an "all in" season to trade Brooks at all.

Unless the four horsemen of the apocalypse come down from the heavens and to make it seem like this team has no chance of doing anything at all this year or Azrael and Kali begin terrorizing the masses (starting in Miami and Los Angeles) giving us a yellow brick road to a title, Brooks will stay a Rocket under his current contract until the off-season.

9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Devin Harris is overrated and overpaid. He does really good when the team has another player to take the defensive heat off him and allows him to penetrate 1v1 defense at will. By himself however, he is not that effective as we saw in the Net's dismal appearance. As far as AB being clutch, while I will agree that shooting wise he is fairly clutch, but he has also bricked enough clutch FT's that make me wary. No one is denying that Brooks is a great scorer, but with Yao coming back, increased depth, and a renewed emphasis on D, I really do not see why the Rockets will look to extend the contract of an one dimensional scorer. I anticipate AB getting shipped out before the trading deadline if a deal is in place for an All-Star.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You also have to remember, despite playing almost 20 less games than AB, Harris had over 100 more FT's than AB. AB can only shoot. He cannot or is afraid to take it strong to the rim. The only thing he is able to do in a real game is shoot.

11. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Morey would be stupid to give Brooks an extension now...not unless it's for recognizably worse then what he is actually worth, or if we are absolutely certain that we wish to retain him going forward.

Morey can't extend him and go further into the lux tax for one reason. The other is that you kill his trade value. Right now, you can package him with expirings to get something good. If you pay him now, you can't throw in the expirings and Brooks is that much less appealing. Not to mention that Brooks value to the Rox is likely to go down a bit with Yao's return, since we won't need his scoring nearly as much. Not to mention the CBA means that the market will change, and you could be stuck overpaying for him.

Notice, none of these reasons really has to do with Brooks and whether or not he's earned an extension. If there was no cap/lux tax...if there was no CBA. I don't doubt that Les would pay him. I can't imagine that Brooks doesn't see this. Really, his only weapon is to get fans support. Even then though, I'm not sure it's his best interest to do so. Is there another team out there that would give him an extension? Only if the team is down and out without a star and wants to label him as the next Iverson to sell more tickets.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

As i have been saying all summer Brooks is looking for a huge payday getting the MIP was the worst thing possible in terms of $ for the Rockets.

all the past MIP players (with the exception of Granger who the jury is still out on) have gone on to be ridiculously overpaid and then underperformed. The ones who actually did go on to be all-stars/stars became hampered by injuries and after a few years of playing at an amazing level became huge albatross contracts (tmac, jermaine o'neal, arenas, monta ellis)

sorry while i think brooks is a really good player i cant see him having a better season than last year and should probably be paid slightly higher than Lowry's contract ~6-7 million per year at the max if he thinks he should get more than that i would entertain sign and trade deals for him.

13. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Morey's quote said it best. Contract extensions are advantageous to the player obviously and Morey won't do it, no matter if it he looks like a bad guy. It's a business and it's his best financial interests to not do an extension. The only reason teams do extensions is because they must be please their stars, where they know the star has the advantage during negotiating. Brooks doesn't have that much star power yet.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, we need see his this year performance, then pay him according to the market value or trade him if he is not really happy.

15. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

All I have to say is if AB gets $10 million a year

$16 million at the PG position..........................somebody will get traded because neither of them are Deron/Chris/Nash.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

17. erimanila

erimanila Member

AB needs to stay in HOUSTON. He belongs here and he's worked hard to get his starting job. AB is a true point guard and im sure he will get better on the passing game.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

brooks = costanza
    lowry = the secretary
    morey = steinbrenner

New scene.
    Exterior of yankee Stadium (Louisville Slugger) then to George
    Steinbrenner’s office. George Costanza stands pleading his case.

George: But Mr. Steinbrenner, how can I be expected to perform my job
    properly, knowing that my uh, subordinate is making more money than I
    am? With all due respect sir, it's outta whack.

Steinbrenner: Uh huh, I understand what you're saying George and I know
    what it's like to be financially strapped. When I was a young man in
    Cleveland I use to hitchhike to work. One time I got picked up by a
    bakery truck. You think that stuff smells good? Try being cooped up in
    the back of one of those babies.

(George starts to back away from the desk)

Steinbrenner: I couldn't look at a donut for the next two years. Well
    not that I was ever one for the sweets.

(George turning around, nodding and making hand gestures, walking slowly
    towards the door, his hand gestures get progressively wider eventually
    to full arms extended upwards)

Steinbrenner: Sure I like a cup cake every now and then, like everybody
    else. You know I like it when they have a little cream on the inside,
    it's a surprise. That's good, plus the chocolate ones are good too.
    Sometimes I just can’t even make up my mind. A lot of times I’ll mix
    the two together, make a vanilla fudge.

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheSecretary.html

19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

At least brooks is still starting. he should be happy about that alone.

20. alethios

alethios Member

at least he understands it's a business :rolleyes: