1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(CHRONIC) Point guard wishes Rockets would extend contract to match his growing value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LpBryan03, Sep 29, 2010.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

The future is murky with Yao. This guy is our next young and dependable star. We should really consider taking care of Aaron Brooks. He has brought us alot of success from his play in the playoffs when other supposed bigger stars didnt. His stats if you look at them deserve another look through on who he has better than in comparison to the others. You would be real surprised how close he is elite status among those guys. The future is Brooks. Who else is there long term? Either that or you might consider getting a very good player from him this year. I dont recommend it though. People are just underrating him. Build around him next. See what happens.

2. choujie

choujie Member

More likely under. GMs are not going to overrate AB like some fans do. AB is not much better than Lowry, if at all, and Lowry is considered a little overpaid at 6 mil.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

As straightforward and lacking of appreciation that Morey's comments were, he's right in that players generally WILL get paid (based on body of work). And it depends on market conditions when its the player's time for negotiations.

There wasn't a chance Brooks was gonna get re-upped with hefty money knowing everything that's on the line for the season, including the looming lockout. Landry, Lowry, Scola, Artest, even Yao, they all went through the same process. They all had to complete 100% of their contract terms before money is discussed.

4. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

wow. Leon Rose is Brooks' agent? Things are going to get interesting.

5. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

and O. I am pretty sure Woj wil take care of giving us the inside scoop. dude just hates the Lebron contingent

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Someone will overpay for Brooks. I see 9 million as a possibility easily. He puts up good numbers, he finishes well at the basket, and he shoots really well. He's also clutch and has shown the ability to hit big shots when it's counted. He's not got many deficiencies offensively except for something we Rockets fans tend to magnify out of proportion. I mean, the fact that he's a not a true PG without Steve Nash or CP3 court vision doesn't also equate him to "worst passing PG in the league" or even a below-average one. He takes care of the rock, his A/TO ratio doesn't stand out positively or negatively, he is what he is.

From a Rockets stand point, however, the fact that we have so many other options offensively yet really need to shore up our defense, makes it more difficult to justify paying someone with Brooks' skillset that much money. Plus, Lowry in his stead represents a better defender with just as good transition offense, free throw drawing and shooting, and better passing. He's obviously worse at finishing at the hoop, opting for the foul shots by drawing blatant contact, and he's much, much worse at outside shooting. So it'll be interesting to see if the front office deems Lowry a permanent back-up quality guard or whether or not they really think he can fill Brooks' shoes. Because at this point I just don't see us keeping Brooks past this year.

7. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Exactly, the last thing we need is another Matt Melony contract. Aaron, keep up the good play and you'll get paid.

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

If he is represented by Leon Rose, then CAA will make sure he is a Heat next season. WWW will make sure of that.

Brooks
    Wade
    LeBron
    Bosh
    Anthony

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This really annoys me.

10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

True. Though, he's talking like he expected an extension. He shouldn't have...

11. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Two things:

First of all, those that think we would be able to trade Brooks for value are in fantasy land. It's really hard to deal him away for Iggy/Melo types because Brooks is going to be getting a new contract next year. Part of the intrigue of trading your big player is to get that expiring contract and cheap young guy. Brooks will be looking for 8-10 million next year (and considering you have guys like Rudy Gay making 15 per, hard to say he's not worth it).

Secondly, I hate that people are down on Brooks. The dude isn't perfect. The defense isn't good, and I think people overrate how bad he is distributing the ball. He's a shoot first PG, but he isn't AI in that regard. He's not a selfish egomaniac. Remember Mike Bibby? He wasn't a pass first PG either, but was perfect for Adelman's system.

And you don't see guy's lead the NBA in 3 point FGAs WHILE hitting them at a 40% clip. Now, it's probably wishful thinking to hope he does that every year, but you have to imagine he'll hover around 40% from range for the rest of his career (that was his strength coming into the NBA so he's not really surprising anyone).

I mean... trade the guy if the opportunity is there, but this attitude that he needs to leave because he's no good to the team is ridiculous IMO.

1 person likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's just the natural tension of NBA contract negotiations. I don't see why people here need to make somebody the villain in this situation. It's reasonable for Brooks to want security. It's also reasonable for the team to not extend Brooks when it doesn't have do, especially given the CBA expiring and the cap rules likely tightening (meaning other teams may not be able to pay Brooks as much), Brooks coming off a career year in terms of traditoinal box-score stats (may want to see if this is a fluke), and that once extended, a player becomes difficult to trade under the CBA rules.

Might they lose Brooks next season? Perhaps, but that's just the risk you take.

1 person likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Negotiation tactics. The team has until the start of regular season to extend rookie deals, I think, so he probably sould put some pressure on the team to give him one while he can.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. I understand his frustration. I think most of us would agree Brooks did do an excellent job of stepping up last season and considering he won MIP, it's really easy to understand how he thinks he deserves to be offered a contract extension.

2. He should have kept his mouth shut. He could easily have just given us one of those standard "I just play basketball. I'll let my agent and Daryl work that out" type answers. That said, it's still not that big of a deal.

3. Morey knows what Brooks is worth. I'm sure they've done analysis on his value to the team that we haven't even ever thought of. But more than likely we're going to get the best terms when he's a restricted free agent. Brooks would have to put together a pretty phenomenal season and show considerable improvement before I think teams would really offer such an under-sized restricted free agent a large contract. I know Scola just got a larger contract than many expected considering his age and the fact he was restricted, but he's a big man. Big men always get over-paid. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be as many teams significantly under the cap next year? And we may have a new CBA in place? So yeah. It's going to be a very different situation next off season.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Brooks is Petri's #1 target after the season I've been told by a very trustworthy person. The rockets couldve had artest a yr earlier,but brooks was the deal breaker. Petri will not give up any of his young players to get brooks because he know he can get him via free agency. They see the brooks/evans as the perfect compliment and cousins as a webber type of big in terms of a passer. This eliminates the need for brooks to be the prototype pg. If they dont think the 9-10 m will be enough to make houston blink, they will make a hard push for ellis. They want that kind of guard next to tyreke.

1 person likes this.
  16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Thats who they want? Good for them. Rockets are gonna match though. Cant keep giving away players on top of not trading for any top stars also or free agents. Rockets arent letting him walk unless a trade is involved. Sacramento might as well pack it in on that front.

17. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I wouldn't mind trying to get Casspi or Thompson from them if a S&T is a possibility.

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Wait, Petrie wants to put TWO ball dominating guards together, and furthermore, take away from Evans' ability to overpower opposing PGs by letting them switch over their SG? And you're pretty much telling your young rookie bigman with a history of anger issues that the only way he gets the ball is through offensive rebounding? Sounds like a complete disaster to me, but I suppose Petrie's got a pretty good idea for talent and is simply god-awful with contracts...actually, it now makes perfect sense why AB might get a loaded offer from the Kings.

Coming off of a 17/4.8/6.1 year with a TS% of only .519, Mo Williams got 6/$51M in 2007 as a free agent; considering contract inflation and the fact that Aaron is simply better, if the CBA doesn't change significantly we could be staring at a Ben Gordon sized offer sheet (5/$58M).

But in all likelihood, the players are going to get whacked during the next round of negotiations, and the elimination of the MLE will probably make it so the Rockets will have to match any offer for Brooks, as talent acquisition will be severely impaired in the new CBA.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think you the one need to be shipped outa clutch fans.. :eek: :eek:

20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

This could be a kind of motivation. I think he will try very hard next year to get big contract.