1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(CHRONIC) Point guard wishes Rockets would extend contract to match his growing value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LpBryan03, Sep 29, 2010.

1. LpBryan03

LpBryan03 Member

Lock if posted twice. This could get interesting...

Brooks unhappy he's not cashing in
    Point guard wishes Rockets would extend contract to match his growing value to team
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    Sept. 29, 2010, 12:04AM

AUSTIN — There was no sign of Aaron Brooks' familiar, easy smile. The wit as quick as his first step was gone. When discussing his contract Tuesday, Brooks found no humor.

Brooks had hoped his breakthrough season and status as the NBA's Most Improved Player award winner would prompt the Rockets to offer a contract extension. Instead, he said the Rockets' unwillingness to work on a new deal for beyond this season is "bothering" him.

"It's kind of stressful," Brooks said. "I was hoping we maybe could get something done this summer, but we couldn't, so I'm stuck in the position I'm in.

"I understand, but it's bothering me. It's the business of basketball. You have to take it like it is. I'm stuck with that."

Brooks' agent, Leon Rose, is scheduled to meet with general manager Daryl Morey today to discuss the situation, but he would not comment other to confirm the meeting.

Asked if he felt he deserves a contract extension, Brooks said, "Oh, no doubt. I deserve at least discussions."

The Rockets customarily have not considered contract extensions, other than for players still under their rookie contracts. They will pick up their options on the contracts of Courtney Lee, Chase Budinger and Jermaine Taylor later this month, waiting - as is their policy - for the deadline.

Last season, the Rockets picked up their option on Brooks' rookie-scale deal but let Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry become restricted free agents. This season, Brooks, Yao Ming, Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries and Chuck Hayes are in the final season of their contracts.

Brooks 10th in salary
    The Rockets have not extended the contract of a veteran since trading for Tracy McGrady in 2004. With the NBA in the final season of its collective bargaining agreement with the players, Kevin Durant is the only player from Brooks' draft class to have received a contract extension.

"We're not doing extensions," Morey said. "Quite a few guys on the team are up for extensions. Just policy-wise, we're not doing it.

"Obviously, every player would want an extension. I don't blame them for that. All we can do is the best for the Rockets. They're doing the best for themselves. Make sure they know the reason we're doing it has nothing to do with how you value the player or anything like that. It's just we're trying to keep ourselves as flexible as possible going forward."

Brooks, who averaged 19.6 points and 5.3 assists last season, will earn $2,016,692 this season, ranking 10th among Rockets players. Depending on the rules of the next CBA, he would be a restricted free agent next summer if the Rockets make a qualifying offer.

"Every player gets his time to get his money," Morey said. "The money a player makes really doesn't always - I'd say more than half the time - correlate to anything bottom-line based. It correlates to when they became a free agent. It correlates to who else is a free agent when they became one. What was the market at that time?"

Lowry, Brooks' backup at the point, will earn $5.75 million this season in the first year of a four-year, $23.5 million deal.

"I'm happy for Kyle," Brooks said. "He's a great player, and I'm happy for him, but something could have been done. We could have discussed something, but I guess that's just the business of basketball."

'I'm a work in progress'
    Asked if he felt he still had to prove himself, Brooks said, "I guess I do.

"I'm a work in progress. I'm not satisfied with myself. I've got a lot of work to do. For me, nothing has changed."

Yet while pledging that his approach and attitude will remain the same, Brooks openly lamented that his contract will, too.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

1 person likes this.
  2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's time to ship out the tiny little midget point guard that thought he could. Brooks, do you know you're game lacks true point guard qualities? You are basically a 3rd rate Iverson at best if even that. You will be shipped.

1 person likes this.
  3. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

well that kind of puts a damper on all the positive feelings flying around here

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Brooks' agent is Leon Rose? Interesting, didn't know that.

Leon Rose is the same scumbag that's in cahoots with World Wide Wes in trying to make Melo and CP3 join the Knicks and also the one who made the whole Big Three in Miami happen.

5. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Over/Under 8 million per year?

6. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

7. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

damn dude lol

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You should relax pal. BTW, you should know that Brooks will be better than he was last season.

1 person likes this.
  9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea this article isn't very leader like from AB. Hopefully Shane or someone speaks to him. I still think we will deal him this season and I think he knows it as well.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

8.7????

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

More like 6 mill.

Dude is undersized and one dimensional.

Until he learns to pass the ball, he will always earn less than Lowry.

12. LpBryan03

LpBryan03 Member

whoops! sorry.

Not extending him for two possible reasons:
    #1) A package deal to go elsewhere.
    #2) Putting a price on him NOW rather than as a R-FA would be completely r****ded, which Morey is not.

He's going to have to get over it, but I agree, someone needs to talk to him.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've said this before and i will say it again, if brooks isnt traded, he will be with the Kings next season. The rox will get a 5m te for brooks leaving in a sign and trade because he will get right at 9-10m per yr.

14. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

If Brooks truly understands the business of basketball, he wouldn't be saying any of this.

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Players want a GM that will be shrewd and forward-thinking when it comes to managing personnel and building a competitive team, but when it's time to get paid they expect him to make special exceptions.

Sorry, Aaron. You can't have it both ways.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What exactly is PG quality?

Brooks style of play fits Adelman's system PERFECTLY

His concerns are completely understandable

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They asked him a question and he gave an answer. Its not like he made contract demands.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Would you trade him for Iggy for the right price?

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Gross, Iggy and Lowry together on this team would be a disaster. No outside shooting

20. Zfan

Zfan Member

He's a good player. Better shut up and play then a big contract will be waiting for him. Just let the agents do the contract things. Everything will be fine.