1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] KIKK (650 AM) to become Houston’s 5th all-sports station

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2...ll-sports-station-as-part-of-new-cbs-network/

Houston is getting a fifth all-sports radio station.

And, no, I’m not joking.

CBS announced today that it will launch CBS Sports Radio next January, challenging ESPN Radio with a 24-hour, seven-day programming lineup that will air in Houston on KIKK (650 AM), a daytime-only signal that has hosted a variety of formats in recent years.

The full-time lineup won’t launch until the new year, but CBS will begin airing news updates in September on its locally owned stations, including KILT (610 AM), and on 67 stations owned by Cumulus Media. KILT will retain its local programming and augment it with CBS Sports Radio programs for overnights and weekends when the network launches. The network will have about 89 affiliates when it launches in January, a spokeswoman said.

“(KIKK) has been one of the most successful daytimers in the company,” said Sarah Frazier, CBS Radio Houston’s market manager. “But this move fits perfectly into our portfolio. It makes a lot of sense.”

CBS has not announced programming plans for the new network, but spokeswoman Karen Mateo said it could include local programming from CBS’ 10 owned-and-operated sports radio stations, including WFAN-AM in New York, WSCR-AM in Chicago, KRLD-FM in Dallas, WIP-FM in Philadelphia and WBZ-FM in Boston along with 610 AM in Houston.

KIKK-AM will continue with its current lineup of syndicated programming through the end of the year. Under Federal Communications Commission rules, the station is limited to daytime hours between sunup and sundown, or roughly from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. during the summer.

As for KILT-AM, “We remain committed to having the most live and local programming in town,” said Gavin Spittle, KILT-AM’s program director. “It will enhance what we will do, because we will have access to CBS guests like Dan Marino during football season and Greg Anthony during the NCAA Tournament. It gives us resources that we did not have before.”

KILT now airs programming from Sports Byline USA after 10 p.m. on weekdays and after 11 p.m. on weekends. Spittle said the addition of the network could give local hosts a chance for network exposure on CBS-owned stations and on the 67 Cumulus stations, including KNBR in San Francisco, KTCK in Dallas and WCNN in Atlanta, that will be part of the new CBS Sports Radio network.

Houston’s four existing all-sports stations are KILT-AM, KBME (790 AM), which is owned by Clear Channel; KFNC (97.5 FM), which is in the process of being sold to David Gow’s Gow Communications and is an ESPN Radio affiliate; and Gow’s KGOW (1560 AM), the flagship of Yahoo! Sports Radio.

KIKK–AM has aired a variety of formats over the years. It aired country music during the 1970s and ’80s, including simulcasts with KIKK-FM, and aired business news, talk, including the Howard Stern Show, CNN Headline News and, in recent months, syndicated talk from Neal Boortz, Michael Smerconish, Todd Schnitt and Clark Howard.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So CBS is putting two sports radio stations against each other? Do any of these stations actually make money?

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

As if the sports radio talent wasn't thin enough already. Maybe they will focus more on national programming on this station, so that they aren't competing for listeners as directly with 610 as they would be if they were doing all local programming. Based on the copy in the original post, it seems they are leaning that way a bit.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Damn, so basically, we now have two national networks in Yahoo Sports and CBS radio.

Pretty soon, Mickey Mouse Sports and FOX will want to set up shop down here.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This is getting stupid

6. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm surprised sports radio has gotten this popular outside of Charlie its pretty tough to listen when its not football season. I can only hear so much about the Texans #2 wide receiver issues......

Also I'd guess this is just a ploy to steal ratings from a struggling competitor and maybe put them out....

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Five stations doing nothing but talking about the Texans. Wow

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Too bad, I remember when this station was doing business radio back in the late '90s early '00s; but CNBC and Bloomberg don't syndicate and you can only take so much Ramsey/Winget grumpy-dad investing advice.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I assume very little of the programming will be local, so maybe it won't cost much to run it. The last thing Houston needs is another sports radio station. The talent pool is very shallow and most of it is concentrated at AM790.

10. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ESPN radio is the mouse ears

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

lol, totally forgot about them.

But 97.5 got eaten up by Yahoo Sports.

12. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Not really; it's still an ESPN affiliate with no programming changes. For now at least.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, they said they were going to keep it, but it was just bought by them.

14. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Gotcha, I misunderstood you saying eaten up as meaning they'd be changing formats.

Just leave the Blitz alone, and I'll be happy.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

didn't think that starting a new thread about it would be necessary...

but I got a source that the Rockets radio flagship is moving to 790am with Charlie P. possibly doing pregame

expect an official announcement either today or tomorrow

I hope Mattj and/or Wex get to be part of the broadcast in some capacity

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Awesome news!

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That would be awesome! Wex can go back to doing commentary like he did for a brief stint a couple of years ago.

And I hope to God Joel Blank is done on the radio.

Now that I think about it, I remember Matt J. tweeting about some big news late last week that would come out this week.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That would be great! Especially since the guys on 790 are the only ones who are smart enough to talk basketball.

It makes sense for it to be on 790 with Matt and Adam (two best Rocket guys on radio) and Matt Thomas (former Rockets PA guy).

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is awesome. 610 did nothing to promote the rockets. Before this week they probably had more lebron talk than rockets talk the entire year. They put on the NFL draft instead the rockets game. That would piss me off if I was the rockets.

20. conquistador#11

awesome! Time to hire more lame hosts that could not find or keep employment in their home states .. so that they can b**** about houston not being a great sports town like their hometowns. =/