1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Bill Van Rysdam out at 610 AM; record Rockets ratings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, May 16, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsmedia/2009/05/van_rysdam_out_at_610_am_recor_1.html

Another day, another lost job.

Bill Van Rysdam, who was in charge of programming for KILT (610 AM) and the Houston Texans Radio Network, is no longer with the station, according to Brian Purdy, who is in charge of CBS Radio's Houston cluster.

Purdy said a search is under way for Van Rysdam's replacement, which is one of several changes expected at CBS Radio in the next few weeks.

Van Rysdam, who had been at KILT since 2000, previously worked at KTRH (740 AM). He was not immediately available for comment.

Other changes at CBS Radio:

-- Keith Scott has been taken off the morning show at KMHX (96.5 FM)..

-- Dave Morales will move to 96.5's afternoon drive show from the same slot at CBS' KKHH (95.7 FM). Kaden, who worked for CBS' KMVK in Dallas, will take over afternoon drive at Hot 95.7.

-- KILT-FM (100.3 FM) at 8:45 a.m. Monday will begin playing two hours of commercials-free music each weekday as it steps up its competition in the morning drive country ratings race with KKBQ (92.9 FM).

Also Friday, ESPN said that Thursday's Rockets-Lakers game was seen by an average audience of 5.3 million households and a total audience of 7.3 million viewers, a record for an NBA game on ESPN. The old record was 4.99 million households and 6.6 million total viewers for Game 6 of the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals between the Heat and Pistons.

In Houston, the game had a 16.0 household rating on ESPN for an average audience of 336,993 households. Since only about 1.6 million of Houston's 2.1 million TV households have satellite or cable, that means more than a fifth of Houston's wired TV households were tuned in to the game.

--------------------

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sounds like Rich Lord gets mighty angry when he doesn't get on the air or doesn't get his get Greek food.

1560 vs 610 celebrity death match soon to follow.

3. Rockets34Legend

Man, I hope Rich Lord gets canned.....he's trash. :mad:

I wish I had the tolerance that Matt Jackson has....

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

they should have fired that dude after he let john and lance go
    but this firing was definitely seen from a mile away
    ratings have went down
    not only because of so many more options
    but they just got stagnant there

5. Rockets34Legend

Too many freaking commercials and less fan time. They need to can the Vanderdork/Andre Fake Show.

This would be an awesome lineup:

6-11a - Insert anyone who doesn't talk our ears off and let's the fans of Houston take over
    11a-2p - Rome (I would prefer a local show here. 1560 has the Hoffman show 12-1 (meh :rolleyes: ) and 1-3 Nuno, Jorge Vargas, and Raheel - which is awesome. :cool: )
    2p-6p - Matt Jackson and Adam Clanton
    6p-10p - Wexler

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The only guys I liked listening to in Houston were Charlie Polilo and Carl Dukes.

Charlie is way better by himself than he was with Rich on 610. Same with Aaron Hogan in Austin.

7. Landlord Landry

I'd actually rather see Clanton get his own 3-4 hour show. With the guests and callers he has, and his versatility......Clanton could run his own show.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Clanton is a busy man.

He'd make a lot more on TV than he would on radio.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You're on the right track. As much as I'd like Mattj and rocketsabc (Adam Clanton) on at the same time, AM610 doesn't have enough talent to go around. If they gave Clanton the morning show (perhaps with a non-irritating sidekick), I'd go back to listening in the morning and never turn the dial. In the afternoon, I can tolerate Rich Lord because Mattj is on with him. But it would be great if he got canned and Mattj was allowed to become the full personality of the show. Wexler is tailor-made for the evening show. He and Mattj had the best evening show Houston sports radio has ever had.

This Marc and Andre stuff has got to go. Both guys have improved but it's clear they have peaked and it ain't good enough. Listening to Andre do his Clyde imitation (in the sense of being Captain Obvious so often and taking 30 seconds to say absolutely nothing) is getting more and more painful. Somebody needs to say something to him. Marc just doesn't do it for me. He's OK announcing Texans games, but he doesn't have enough substance to be on Mon-Fri every week.

10. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Clanton is the best the talent on 610 AM. There is no question that Charlie Pallilo has the best show. It is the most informative. However, other than Charlie 790 is terrible.

610 needs to can Rich Lord. His lack of knowledge is embarrassing. I cant believe how dumb he is. It is clear that he is no longer like sports and does everything he can to talk about anything else. He is constantly misinformed from basic sports knowledge to information that he passing out. One recent example- on the Friday, before Game 4 of the Lakers series, he kept saying the game was Sunday night. That game was a 2:30 afternoon game. He should know these things. He has become borderline negligent in his preparation and delivery of his show. He just needs to go.