1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Yao's statement about Dream

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Nov 8, 2002.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1653164

So great was Olajuwon's influence on a team on which only Mobley was his teammate for as long as three seasons, that Rockets players wished the team's 17-year icon of a center was around the team's newest center.

Asked if it would help Yao Ming to work with Olajuwon in the offseason, Francis said: "Not the summer, but tomorrow. And it's not like he's that bad, but tomorrow."

Yao took no offense. He agreed.

"I've seen him for a long time, and I've learned a lot of things from watching him," Yao said. "I knew this day (Olajuwon's retirement) would come, and I am sorry that it has. I hope he can come to Houston and become a coach and teach me more.

"Of course, I would love to study with him. I would be happier if I could start tomorrow, rather than next year. I could learn a lot of footwork from him."

Asked what that would be like, Yao turned to English for an intentional and telling pun, saying that working with Olajuwon would be, "Like Dreaming."

I hope Dream does come and help Yao out. I'm not saying that there is a good chance, but maybe he will help if he sees potential in Yao. Kinda like how Malone helped a young Akeem.

I doubt he would come as an assistant coach but maybe as a consultant.

#1 rockbox, Nov 8, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2002
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It would really surprise me if he did.

I guess we can Dream.

3. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I dont think that it is out of the question to think that the Dream might show up at Westside this summer and go over some post moves with Yao. He still lives in Houston and basketball has been the man's career.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I don't know him personnally, but my impression from what I have read is that Olajuwon is low-keyed, religious (summer pilgrimages), at peace with himself and very private. It would surprise my if Olajuwon showed up and Westside more than once in a whole summer.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Say what you want about Yao and whatever you think about his performance so far, but to me, the guy is all class and nothing but class.

6. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Personally, Id rather see a tougher (who many say could probaly still play in this league) Moses Malone give Yao some pointers.

Id like to see Malone give Yao pointers on positioning (was there anyone better?) and tenacity on the boards.

Then turn and show him how to be a mean mamma jamma on the Defensive side.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Olajuwon would help him out. No doubt it. Hakeem used to be nicknamed jelly, so he knows what it takes to get tougher. To get physical.

8. jlaw

jlaw Member

Hey, money talks. If the money is right, I don't think he would mind to take this money to build a mosque for his religion. Anything can happen.

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

From what I know about construction costs I would think the Rockets could hire Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone, Bill Russell, Elvin Hayes, and Bill Walton and send them and the entire Pete Newell Camp from Hawai to Beijing and still have plenty of $ left over! :eek: