1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao missteps after smooth reunion with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Mar 14, 2007.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

For Yao, not all is business as usual
    Frustrated when double-teamed by Suns, center eyes more offense against Clippers

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

For a night, Yao Ming was dominant again. He was moving through the lane as if in one of his marathon workouts. He was scoring easily and reliably, as he had before fracturing his leg in December.

A night later, Yao was surrounded and suffocated. He could barely touch the ball, and when he did, he seemed rushed. He took nine shots, made one and was not much more of a factor than when he had been sidelined.

With Yao's dominant performance against Orlando on Sunday, the Rockets were reminded of what was and what could be again. Monday, they learned getting him and the offense back to that standard might not be so easy.

A night after Yao had 37 points against the Magic, Phoenix surrounded him in double and triple teams, knocking him off his game enough that Kurt Thomas shut him down after that. Yao said he left the court "frustrated" and "angry" after his 10-point performance.

Despite the Suns' defensive success, Yao did not concede they had uncovered the method to defending him.

"I think for our team and myself, we have enough experience against every kind of defense," he said. "It's like if they're behind you and try to push you out, or in front of you or in front and back, whatever they do, we have a plan. When this happens, we know where we should go. We should just live with the plan. Don't fail to follow the plan."

Starts the plan

The Rockets' plan begins with Yao and getting him the ball as deep in the paint as possible. Against the Magic, he got his touches earlier in the shot clock, sometimes before the Rockets ran half-court plays to free him.

"I think you want to get him the ball deep, whenever it is, early or late, without other guys deferring to him," coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I think the depth (of the catch) is more important than anything else."

Against the Suns, the Rockets could not get Yao the ball near the position he caught it against the Magic, with the exception of the lefthanded drive for his one field goal.

They said they don't need to surrender their most consistent offensive player to an opposing defensive game plan. But after the Rockets had their third consecutive 100-point game and before they were shut down by the Suns, they expressed some doubt about being able to involve Yao when teams are obsessed with stopping him.

"We're blessed with a post presence now and a guy that's real dominant down there, and it's our job to search him out, whether it's a set play or pick-and-roll or coming down in transition," guard Tracy McGrady said. "He's a big target. He's always going to be open — unless you have two or three guys hanging off him."

The Suns devoted that many to defending Yao, taking their chances with everything else they left open. The Rockets knew where to turn. Chuck Hayes had 13 points. Juwan Howard made all seven of his attempts and is 12-of-12 in the past two games. But aside from the power forwards, the Rockets made just 20 of 62 shots.

Need to make shots

In some ways, the solution to having a more effective offense — regardless of the defensive strategy on Yao — might not be much more complicated than making more shots.

"Everybody is going to double the big fella," Hayes said. "Some will double when he gets the ball. Some will double before he gets the ball. They did a lot when my man would sag and tag. That's when it falls to me to get myself open in my strength areas and try to make them pay for it."

As much as the Rockets hit the extremes of bringing back Yao in their back-to-back experiences against the Magic and Suns, when they face the Clippers tonight, they can find other reminders of how irreplaceable he can be. In the first meeting with the Clippers, Yao had 32 points. He fractured his leg in the next meeting, the Rockets lost, and Yao missed the next 32 games. As they face the Clippers again, the Rockets have seen what Yao can do. They would like to give him the chance to do it, no matter what defense is brought to stop him.

"When he's open, we have to hit him," forward Shane Battier said. "When we play inside-out, that's when we're at our best."

ROCKETS NOTES
    Rebounds tell tale if Rockets will win

For the Rockets, the league's top defensive rebounding team, perhaps nothing more clearly indicates how well they will play as their work on the boards.

In their 12 games since the All-Star break, they have won four of six when outrebounding opponents, and have lost five of six when they were outrebounded, with Phoenix outrebounding them 50-36 on Monday.

"We were outrebounding our opponents," Rockets forward Shane Battier said. "That's really a barometer for a lot of things we're trying to do. When we don't have a commanding lead on the boards, it leads to a lot of problems for our team. We're trying to compensate for the lack of rebounds in a lot of areas."

Wells might play this week

Rockets guard Bonzi Wells, who has missed the past seven games with a sore right foot, was able to go through a variety of drills Tuesday after several days of running and could be ready to play tonight against the Clippers or Friday in Toronto.

Game time changed

The Rockets' game at the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets on March 25 was moved to a 7 p.m. start. It had been scheduled for a 2:30 tip, but it was dropped by ABC. It will be televised locally on FSNH.

Clippers update

The Clippers face the Rockets for the second half of a back-to-back after playing at San Antonio on Monday, with an 8-21 road record going into Tuesday's game. ... Cuttino Mobley moved back to the starting lineup for Tuesday's 93-84 loss to San Antonio. ... Point guard Shaun Livingston had reconstructive surgery Tuesday .

Rockets update

Much about the Rockets' season can be told in their meetings with the Clippers. In the first, Yao Ming was unstoppable, keying the Rockets' 108-103 win in Los Angeles. In the second game, he broke his leg as the Rockets lost 98-93.

Check out

Watch the Rockets' defense. The Clippers are 27th in scoring, but they have averaged 100.5 points vs. the Rockets.

Statistically speaking

The Clippers have tried 22 different starting lineups, with recently signed Jason Hart starting while Sam Cassell has battled a variety of injuries.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4627941.html

2. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

Whats up with ABC dropping our game??

3. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Not a lot of ppl are interested in Rox game.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Think it might have more to do with the Hornets, think ABC expected them to do better this year

5. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Okay, but then, why did they buy the rights in the first place?

Seems like bad business buy the broadcast rights and then drop the game. If I was the NBA, I wouldn't sell any broadcast rights to ABC next season.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

wtf ABC drops this game and ESPN dropped the philly game. cmon man, yao and tmac, that brings in more ratings than denver.

and i agree, yao is not as mobile as say shaq or hakeem so expecting him to consistently beat the double teams BEFORE he touches the ball is kind of tough. i was surprised not to see a lot of pick and rolls b/t tmac and yao b/c that was prollie the ONLY way for yao to get open. but that could be yao's stamina right now; he can't do that many times in a game. so i think had we exploit that play b/t yao and tmac, we would have done better w/ yao's offense and tmac's penetration.

but again, use that suns game to see our weaknesses. we have been overconfident w/ the sub.500 teams.

again, we need more variety on offense. it seems JVG is so complacent whenever yao/tmac are on the floor together that he expects them to do so much. bring the variety back when yao was out and help him learn it. yao's so good now that he can do it.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Mc Grady should remember his words and not take so many low percentage shots.

8. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

The whole team needs to pass the ball. I was screaming at the TV during the Phoenix game. I don't know how many times I yelled at Skip, and I like Skip. He totally boned that game as well as the whole team. Running down the court and jacking up shots or having one guy try to take his man one on one and shoot. What happened to the 30 assists in the previous game? I think the assist stat is more important than the rebounding stat. When we move the ball we have an open Yao and quality shots.

damn rockets.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

1....The very same reason some dont like VG is the thing that keeps the ROckets from getting complacent, when he talks more about what we didnt do well, it tells the team they still have work to do and not to feel that they have it all down.

2....we have sufficient "variety"....

Slight tangent: why dont you guys ever say details about what EXACTLY you would do differently? that seems like a transparent swipe at VG just cause you dont understand (or like) that when you have the biggest mismatch in the league, you center everything around him...we arent the Suns and we will never be as long as Yao is here, we will never run the "run and gun" offense so many seem infatuated with.

continued from above
    .... the problem was that with our main guy taken out of the equation thru fatigue and Suns gameplan it was up to everyone else to make them pay so they would quit predoubling/doubling/tripling Yao.......and they failed.

it said it right there in the article, and its too true for comfort.

that one weakness is what will keep us from winning it all this year...we are close, and I fully expect tough second exit or WCF, but we still need a couple different players to support Yao and Mac before we can stand proudly with the best in the west.

Ya know, it occurs to me the biggest problem with our fans is that they are really expecting too much this year, it normally takes a couple/few years to build a championship team, and this is only the second year we have been able to work towards getting the right guys.

Obviously, lest year MUST be taken out since you cant move towards a ring when your main guys are out all year....anyone that tries to bring up last year inthe discussion cant be taken seriously, it was an abberation and a major speedbump in our path.

just you wait and see, make a good move for a FA or trade, improve the guys you plan on keeping, and lets see who can stand before a full year(please god?...IM beggin you) of healthy Yao and Mac with improved play from Shane/Chuck/Kirk/Head....

we arent doomed to lottvoille if it dont happen this year....god willing, Yao still has another 4 or 5 years at least...and he is the key.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That statement is inaccurate or a lie. I'm not done w/the article, but I'm tired of this crap analysis. The 1st quarter alone, Yao got the ball deep 3 times, a missed hook vs Amare, a missed good look hook vs Marion, and fouled deep by Amare on a shot attempt. At least for the 1st quarter, it was all about running plays for TMac, not about not getting the ball to Yao. Then you factor in the fact that Yao was tired 5 minutes into the game and totally being exploited on D. See my thread for more specified info.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

ABC dropped us AGAIN? Sad... yet i bet they regret showing a 37pt performance from Sunday to see the Nuggets beat a team lead by a domestic disturbance player :p

anyways, my wish is for them to bump us up for the Jazz game on the 1st, how COULD THEY NOT SHOW US???? its a preview of the first round of the playoffs.

btw: they dropped us to show the Suns vs. Kings, they dropped us FOR ARTEST AGAIN!!! wtf? surprisingly, the rest of the season are:

http://www.nba.com/schedules/national_tv_schedule/ABC/

Sun, Mar 18 Dallas @ Detroit 3:30 pm

Sun, Mar 25 Phoenix @ Sacramento 3:30 pm

Sun, Apr 1 Miami @ Detroit 1:00 pm
    Dallas @ Phoenix 3:30 pm

Sun, Apr 8 Cleveland @ Detroit 1:00 pm
    Phoenix @ L.A. Lakers 3:30 pm

Sun, Apr 15 Chicago @ Washington 1:00 pm
    San Antonio @ Dallas 3:30 pm

so its basically ABC shoving our throats down with either Dallas or Phoenix every week.... :rolleyes: and my wish to bump us up on the 1st? Fat chance with them showing Dallas @ Phoenix

#11 Dave2000, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007