1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] With too many retired numbers, Astros should reintroduce numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 8, 2014.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I thought all teams have retired number 42.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Unfortunately, it's an infinitely more interesting topic than the current team...

I would, if I could do it with zero repercussions, unretire Wilson, Umbricht and Scott. I think Cruz and Dierker earned it in large part because of their longevity. I would make a very passionate case to keep Wynn, too. IMO, preserving a legacy like his - which is criminally underrated - is the responsibility of the franchise (which is why I'm so proud he's included in the Home Run Alley display). (I think all three, frankly, rank ahead of Ryan, in terms of franchise impact. I'd probably put Berkman and Oswalt ahead of him, too.)

I’ve previously argued Berkman and Oswalt were no-brainers… I’m still leaning that way with Berkman (especially if I'm going to campaign for Wynn). Oswalt feels Scott-like to me, as I think more about it; his involvement in huge moments elevates what might otherwise be a very good – but not great – career. And, frankly, it’s hard to emotionally disconnect from that.

Bagwell
    Berkman
    Biggio
    Cruz
    Dierker
    Ryan
    Wynn

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is. And something I don't think MLB should have done.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seriously?

90% of the fan-base is completely apathetic towards the franchise right now, and you want to insult the few fans left who actually continue to take an interest to the team and its past?

Jersey retirements and honoring them in the stadium is 100% about the fans that watched these guys, and gives them a token to be remembered by.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

I think we should unretire umbright and wilson. umbright was a certainly a good move at the time, but there are other ways to honor players than retiring their numbers.

players w/ their numbers retired should be good enough to at least be heard of by casual fans. true, his career was unfortunately cut short, but i'd rather see a memorial, a la DK, than retiring his number.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks for proving my point!

7. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I'd argue that we should un-retire all the numbers or note that they were retired for the NL Astros, considering that other than the name, this team bears about as much resemblance to those old Astros teams as the Texans do to the Oilers. Hell, at least the Texans play in the AFC - these ALstros are foreign to me and since the league change, it's been difficult to associate them with the memories that were formed by the players whose numbers are retired.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Those memories were also formed by players who also spent time in their careers playing in the AL. Did you opinion of Nolan or Lance change when they were in the AL?

9. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I guess my point is that this team feels like an expansion franchise; other than the team name/ logo/ colors, I feel like their history started when they became an AL team. Leave the NL history alone and separate; bring in the former players to honor (like the Texans do with Earl/ did with Bum), but if you want to start fresh as an AL team, then tear it all down and build it back up.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, it is more interesting than talking about the actual non-MLB product on the field.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But its not a different team. Same stadium, same fans, same historic players still tied with the organization, same name, same mascot, same history, and same all-time records.

And the line between an "AL" and "NL" team gets blurred with each and every inter league game every single day (and the eventual adoption of the DH in the NL).

#31 Nick, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Didn't the Astros start tearing things down in their 2nd-to-last year as a... National League club?

13. rudan

rudan Member

I feel the same about the Astros. It is like the relation of the Texans to the Oilers. It almost feels like Drayton moved the Astros and Jim Crane brought in an expansion team. Once the Astros moved to the AL, they were no longer the same team to me. This Jim Crane guy is a tool :rolleyes: