1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: When evaluating Yao, don't overlook how we measure up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Oct 30, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1639311

Oct. 29, 2002, 10:38PM

When evaluating Yao, don't overlook how we measure up
    By JOHN P. LOPEZ
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

INDIANAPOLIS -- Since arriving from China to this land of the free and home of the unrestricted free agent, Yao Ming has made a nice first impression.

Just nice. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrific.

But anyone who expected more after just 11 days with the Rockets should remember that even the mere glimmers of hope Yao has offered are better than the first impressions Rocket City has made on him.

In fact, if Yao's first 11 days in Houston were the only gauge by which to draw conclusions about his new home, Yao probably would be looking for an out clause in his contract and a ticket back to Shanghai today instead of quality minutes against the Pacers tonight.

Since Yao's arrival, it has rained virtually every day. Maybe his 7-5 frame changed atmospheric pressure or something.

At any rate, it hasn't been just sprinkles or showers raining on Yao's welcoming party, but torrential rains, with dark clouds, lightning bolts and ark-building seminars at Home Depot.

"The last time I saw (the sun) was about two weeks ago," Yao said Tuesday. "It seemed like we were taking a boat home from practice, not a car."

Also since Yao's arrival, the biggest newsmakers on the airwaves have included lunatic snipers roaming the streets, a gubernatorial candidate hinting at laundered drug money in the other camp and a movie star standing trial for shoplifting at Saks.

Keep in mind, Yao was educated by a state-run Chinese school system that portrays Americans as lunatic killers who take drugs, make idols of deranged Hollywood stars and are led by crooked politicians.

We haven't exactly been kicking down the doors to freedom and the American way around here lately.

The point is, maybe you can only make one first impression and maybe first impressions are important.

But with Yao's debut against the Pacers already upon us, what we've seen from him thus far is hardly the best barometer for what to expect this season.

He has been good, no doubt. There have been hints at greatness. His size is remarkable and his athletic ability probably better than anyone could have imagined, considering previous 7-footish lugs like Manute Bol and Georghe Muresan.

"Nothing I've seen has been any different than what the coaches told us to expect from him," Rockets guard Steve Francis said. "There's been a lot of strenuous things for him, but his attitude and work have been great. He just needs to be himself and it will be great."

Yao admittedly has been nervous, tired and eager at times with the Rockets, even during practice.

Picking up the Rockets' system has been difficult, much less picking up everything else about day-to-day life in this foreign land.

But it has been just 11 days. Every conceivable thing in Yao's life changed overnight. Adjusting doesn't come in 11 days.

"On top of everything else," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "He came into camp later than everyone else and had to go through all the usual things rookies go through. It's not easy adjusting to this league for American guys. I can't imagine for him. It's been so much, so fast."

Projecting wins and losses right now, then, is impossible.

It probably will take 11 weeks before the legitimate trends and impressions begin revealing themselves. It could be the All-Star break before Yao fully grasps the offensive and defensive schemes.

Further down the road are things like tired legs and bleary eyes from four games in six nights. Homesickness surely will set in.

There will be stretch-run adjustments, mysterious fouls called by officials hoping to keep the big rookie in his place and raising the stakes even higher for the playoffs, presuming that is where the Rockets end up.

As much as Yao has indeed impressed already with a fluid offensive style and an ability to learn quickly, he says he probably has showed just 70-80 percent of everything in his game.

"I am adjusting (to the NBA)," Yao said. "Every day is so busy."

We haven't seen anything yet from the big young man with a nice turnaround jumper. The first 11 days have been just a blurry, single snapshot. A first impression. A blink.

We'll have our eyes wide open tonight when the games become real and the minutes more meaningful. And every night we'll see a little more clearly everything that Yao could be for the Rockets.

Until then, all we know is he's made a nice first impression on us, and that's a lot better than we've done for him.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A good truthful article.:(

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I like the editorial too. It occurs to me that when Yao inevitably gets totally frustrated, burned out and has everything Best Buy has to offer it won't be a bad thing. I can't wait until Yao erupts on Rudy "you're still too nice to me!" and Rudy bursts out laughing an tells him to take the day off. I have been happily impressed with Yao's talent, but I like his demeanor even more. If you you have great talent and great hunger things usually work out well. Yao's hunger compares favorably to the very best in the NBA. And he's going to love Houston, except in August. :)

#3 declan32001, Oct 30, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2002
  4. Raven

Raven Member

Just another example of why John Lopez is my least favorite Houston sports writer. Leave it to him, to turn a Yao Ming article into a chance to bash America.

Raven

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think he did a really nice job of painting the picture of the first impressions. With contracts, first impressions are not as big a deal, but Houston and Yao will see better days, not to mention America.
    On an individual basis, Great Article!

6. Raven

Raven Member

Maybe Lopez needs to be reminded of a few things. Ok let's start here:

Maybe Yao Ming will notice these things about Houston/America instead.

1. The best medical center in the world

2. November 4th election day - we have real elections, and don't restrict speech or voter choice.

3. A newspaper (Houston Chronicle) that is not controlled by the government.

4. A large community of Asian Americans who immigrated to this country for a better life. Heh, I trust their opinion more than any article written by Lopez.

I hardly think Yao Ming will look down on America once he has a chance to observe the country with his own eyes.

Raven

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yao Ming will learn to love Houston, just as Steve, Griffin and Mobley has. It will take time for sure, but I do believe this is the best place for him.

Go Houston!! :)

8. Panda

Panda Member

For a second I thought he's talking Hollywood movies.

9. jxu777

jxu777 Contributing Member

RE: <Originally made up by John P. Lopez:
    Keep in mind, Yao was educated by a state-run Chinese school system that portrays Americans as lunatic killers who take drugs, make idols of deranged Hollywood stars and are led by crooked politicians. >

The above statement was correct 30 years ago when I was in the elementary school. It was part of the brain wash by the dumb communism.

Not since the 80's. Not even funny in this Internet era. This reporter doesn't do his homework as far as Sino-US relationship is concerned.

BTW, Yao was actually born AFTER that brainwash period.

Jim

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We all wished for better weather, and now we have it. I just hope Yao doesn't pay attention to the fair weather fans.

11. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Well, there's your problem. Lopez is a columnist, so he doesn't have to deal with facts or research anymore.

12. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Actually, I was in Bejing and Shanghai this past July and it was just as hot and humid as Houston is. So in August he should feel right at home. He may actually like the winters here better because, I think, it gets colder there.

I remember walking around the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square thinking "Man, it's a good thing I'm from Houston or I would just die!" it was so hot.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Raven:- Relax its not as you think! Yao Ming will love Houston in time! He will of course love China more than America. He is Chinese and should love his homeland ,just like we love ours for all its faults and gifts!