1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: what to really expect out of the new offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 8, 2003.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Will the Steve bashers take notice of this article, which is consistent with everything JVG has been saying thus far? Or will they ignore it and repeat the same mantra? I'm betting the latter:

Rockets guards still part of mix
    Inside-out game goes beyond Yao
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Steve Francis had heard the talk. With Jeff Van Gundy coming in, Francis and Cuttino Mobley would have to give up the ball even if it took a crowbar to pry it loose. More specifically, they would finally notice the 7-foot-6 guy in the middle.

It was an easy theme to repeat. And when Van Gundy's briefest summary of his offense was described as "inside-out," the criticism of the Rockets' outside brothers seemed to have been confirmed.

There were, however, a few problems with that logic. First, Van Gundy is absolutely convinced that Yao Ming did get the ball as much as he could handle as a rookie last season. And second, his description of "inside-out" does not take the ball from the guys on the outside that have led the Rockets in scoring the past three seasons.

"Everybody was saying, `they're taking the ball out of Steve's hands,' they're doing this or that," Francis said. "I wasn't worried one bit.

"We talked about it. It was more that outsiders wanted to bring scrutiny to me, coach or Cuttino. We'll find out how much we've adjusted in these preseason games. But really, it's not much to adjust to."

In the first test run of the new offense, the old problems seemed as evident as ever.

Details aside, if a team can't shoot or pass, it probably doesn't matter what offense it runs.

After a sharp start in their first preaseason game, the Rockets offense bogged down rapidly, particularly when Van Gundy went to his bench. In a seven-minute stretch to end the first quarter and begin the second, the Rockets committed eight turnovers and scored two points. The Blazers went on an 18-2 run. Moochie Norris collected seven turnovers in eight minutes.

Through much of the night, the Rockets moved quickly but rarely seemed comfortable with where they were going. In the first half alone, the Rockets committed 18 turnovers, accounting for 17 Blazers' points.

But Tuesday's first look at least showed what Van Gundy has in mind.

If the Rockets' often-horrid offensive play last season proved anything it might be that "open" shots are not necessarily "good" shots.

If Van Gundy drove home any points about his offense in his four days of full-squad workouts in Galveston it might be that he wants smart, unselfish execution working toward shots they can make.

The Rockets hoped to improve their often-misfiring offense with the additions of slick shooters Jim Jackson and Eric Piatkowski. But to get the sorts of shots the Rockets can make more consistently -- the Rockets' 44-percent shooting ranked 19th last season, but included some of the worst offensive games in franchise history -- Van Gundy will want the ball inside no matter how it gets there.

"Inside-out is probably one of the least understood terms as far as fans and maybe players," Van Gundy said. "I think the fear is when you say inside-out is that you'll just go to the post every time. You can get it inside five ways. You can get transition layups, second shots, you can drive it, you can cut and you can post. We hope to play inside-out using all of those.

"I think what wins is well-balanced teams. That may be offense to defense, but on offense, it's using your great low-post force, your perimeter players to have creativity to use their skills to the best of their advantage. When you play inside-out it can maximize their abilities."

The Rockets did move more without the ball on Tuesday, using more screens, than in past seasons. And in four days, they have been given a staggering array of new sets and plays to master.

But in many ways, the strengths of their offense is unchanged, making their offense more similar to their offense of past seasons than it is different.

"I think to a great extent that's how they played in the past," Van Gundy said. "No one drove the ball more than Steve. He lived at the free throw line. Cuttino is a driver and a slasher. It's not like any of this is new to them as far as concept, at all."

But so great is the emphasis on working to ball inside, that it took only a few hours of training camp for Van Gundy's priorities to be clear. Even Tuesday, of the Rockets first seven shots against the Trail Blazers, only two were outside of the paint, and one of those -- a Francis 3 -- was taken to beat the shot clock.

"I saw it in one practice," forward Maurice Taylor said. "I had a lot of opportunities down there. We play inside-out. That doesn't mean just throw it in to the post. We work for layups first. We work for cutters. We work for post position. We work for easy baskets. Then we pass it out to our jump shooters."

The offense rarely worked so neatly on Tuesday. Without Taylor and Yao inside, the Rockets could not draw low post double teams inside. Their guards worked more on hitting shooters coming around screens than breaking down defenders off the dribble.

But after a struggle Tuesday reminiscent of last season, what the Rockets do offensively did not seem to matter as much as finding a way to do it better.

"I don't care," Francis said. "I just want to win. I wasn't worried. Good players will find a way to get it done."

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sounds realy good to me! Its exactly what I have been asking for since before LAST season. Every time I mentioned it I was shot down. It worked for us when we won two Championships!

3. SLA

SLA Member

Steve is a very important player. He's our MVP along with Yao. We need Francis. I wouldn't trade him....

Our assists count should be higher than last season's...but still not that high. We can't get that many assists with inside-out. Maybe we can..who knows. We do have shooters though.

I think teams will adapt and adjust their defenses to stop our pick and roll after a while...

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You missed the point. The inside-out game isn't going to be dumped the ball in and kick it out every play. It's going to be kick it in, attack the basket and hit the outside shot. This team will also penetrate and break down opposing defenses. I don't think this team will run the pick and roll that much, and even if they do defenses have been trying to adjust to it for decades and haven't stopped it.

5. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

I love the "new inside-out offense" and I love the turnovers...Thats great basketball, vote Jeff Van Gundy for coach of the year, and while you're at it vote for nachbar for MVP!

6. munco

munco Member

C'mon Moochie!

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Don't be so hard it was just the first game. That being said we got rid of the best inside out coach in the league. Still with Yao it is the only way to go for the Rockets.

8. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

I know but I just had to get that out of my system, and I know yao will get more respect in the paint than cato or that cornell dude, and Griffin is too light for the low blocks should of hit the weight room this off season. Oh yeah by the way...nachbar is trash!!!!!

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I know. I've seen him get way more turnovers than that. :)

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Sam,

This article is talking about the same inside-out system that a lot of posters on this board have been wanting since last year. So, this article is also "consistent with everything a lot of posters have been saying thus far" as well.

Offensive philosophy that JVG will bring will be a refreshing change. This, IMO, has been a problem with Rudy's system the last four years. Not just last year.

Again, this is just not dump it into Yao and let him do his moves. But rather, start with Yao, and let him create passing or scoring options. This was different than Hakeem.

11. iball

iball Contributing Member

It's all right there in the article. The "inside-out" offense is designed to get us shots that are close to the basket. This will be done in the half court offense by posting up, by driving to the basket and by cutting to the basket. Doing these should suck the D in and then the ball will be moved back out for an open shot (doesn't have to be a 3 ptr). We have players who can do all these very well. We're in great shape.

12. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

mooch played so well that he got honorable mention in the article.
    well done moochie!! :rolleyes:

i hope we keep wilks, scales, and cornell.

13. munco

munco Member

ha. that's vicious. i hope moochie can contribute this year.

14. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Really :confused:
    I wish u can provide a link to the video, love to see it;) :D

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Did he really have 7 turnovers in the 6 minutes?

16. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Yup.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Mark it down. The only difference between this offense and the championship teams offense built around the Dream will be the fact that the guards will be cutting to the basket more in this offense for the easy dumpoff layups and short jumpers from Yao's passes instead of Yao passing out to the 3 point line and the Rox passing around the horn for the open 3 ball like they did with Hakeem.

JVG just wants higher percentage shots, with 3's only being shot when the players are wide open. The closer they get to the basket, the higher percentage of shots will go down. I would look for a ton of 10-17 footers being shot, and a lot less 3 pointers being jacked up.

18. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Gotta love the Mooch!!

I'm about to give up on him...he'd better get it together before Wilks or some other journeyman takes his spot. Van Gundy will not put up with the turnovers.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good change, now it will just take time for Steve and Cat to get comfortable in the offense.

I look for a rough start, and a big finish to this year.

DD

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's not what the Van Gundy is saying. He says:

Some of it will start with Yao, other parts won't. Yao won't be too integral on transition buckets nor on drives. Besides that, I don't really see how this is all that different from last year's offense, which was predicated on Yao down low and on drives. Van gundy seems to agree with me there: